300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vtfuzz
    An off duty officer takes the same chances anyone else does when they speed.
    Yes, the officer is taking a chance, but he/she is not likely to be cited by another officer. Again, those who do this are breaking the law, and those of who are noticing this don't think too higly of police in general. I am not putting down anyone, but you police are supposed to be role models.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by e-man
      Heres what I say to this...

Dont judge until you walk a mile in my shoes or boots.
      WHY OH WHY is the Law Enforcement profession the only one where common citizens feel the need to nash and find out WHY we do things the way we do? I sure dont get on lawyers.com and ask Why are they all Bottom sucking scavengers and sure dont go to Mechanics dot com and ask Why they might upcharge people a little bit....
      we speed with due regard because we might have to, if you dont like it, tough noogies
      To add- What Chaser226 said
      tough noogies?? Now, what kind of a comment is that? Who is going to give you your speeding citation?

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
        VT Fuzz and Chaser - If I read his post correctly, I thought he was asking about unjustifiable violations - not those as the both of you have pointed out. Indeed, and as I indicated, when for legitimate reasons such as pacing a violator, catching up with one we want to stop or other legitimate reasons, it's all good and legal. I took his post to mean those other times when we really do NOT have any justifiable reason to break the law other than our own convenience. Policy and the law prohibit it, but we still do it.

My point to him was that indeed, there are times we do break the rules without legal cause.

Now that I've completely muddied the water.....
        May I give you a citation if I catch YOU speeding as an off duty officer in your cruiser?

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
          The Code of Virginia (46.2-920) would differ...
          Thank you for your responses. So, what is to be done concerning officers who abuse their powers?

Comment

JDR: You brought up an issue that is controversial, and you have taken an unpopular position, considering the venue. When I was growing up I remember at least one adult that I respect expressing disgust over speeding police officers, so I understand that it can be frustrating to the public. Therefore, I hope I can help you understand why police sometimes speed without emergency equipment activated.

First, lack of proper staffing levels. At some agencies, staffing is so bad that it is common to be dispatched from one call to the next all night long. If you can't hurry up and handle your calls, you might not be able to take a meal break. 12 hours is a long time to go with no meal break, especially on an ongoing basis. Plus, you want to handle all calls as quickly as possible so that you can be available if an officer needs help, or if a citizen has a legitimate emergency.

Second, think about your purpose on the highway versus the officer's purpose. He is not speeding to pick up the kids on time from soccer practice, or to get to the liquor store before they close. He is speeding for the greater good of the community. He may be en route to a non-emergency, but many non-emergencies can become emergencies if they are not handled quickly. For example, a domestic argument can easily become an aggravated violent encounter while the police are en route.

One thing that citizens forget is that even the most affluent communities have potentially serious crime problems. Just because your neighborhood does not look like a ghetto does not mean that your neighbors are Ozzie and Harriet. In my jurisdiction, one of our perceived "ghetto" neighborhoods seems to have fewer violent crimes than some of the higher-income neighborhoods. I am always amazed at all the tucked-away places the public does not see, where drug addicts and criminals live. So, even if you are in a "low-crime" suburban/rural area, please don't assume that the officer is speeding to get to his "speed trap" or coffee break.

One thing that you can do to reduce the need for officers to speed is to become active in your local political community. Inquire about staffing levels, and voice support for putting more cops on the street. Inquire about causes of attrition, and solutions. Voice your support for police by sending a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. Also, inquire about going on a ride-along with your local agency so that you can have a better understanding of what it is we do.

Finally, let me state that I do not support the small minority of officers that use unreasonable speed when no justification exists. In my experience, those officers will be discovered by supervisors within their agency, and they will be terminated if they do not learn quickly.
            Thank you for yout lengthy reply. I do support our police officers as I do understand the gravity of the job. By the way, I did notify a particular officer's supervisor once upon being passed by an officer who was speeding, as it turned out, to get to Kroger's grocery to do his shopping. I got no return call from the supervisor in regards to what action, if any, he took.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jdr
              May I give you a citation if I catch YOU speeding as an off duty officer in your cruiser?
              And just how do you plan on catching ANYONE that is speeding? By speeding yourself? Gee how adult like...
              Heres comes the WHAAAAMBULANCE

Listen, we have no problems answering legitimate and some not so legitimate questions posed here, thats why we are here. BUT and its a BIG BUTT. DOnt come here and accuse cops of breaking the law ALL the time and its not fair, whaaawhaaawhaaa. We speed on duty? YES, We speed off-duty, Probably, Will we get cited for it? If you get stopped in VA probably, elsewhere, nope. Its called OFFICER DISCRETION. WALK IN MY SHOES JD.....G-d anyone else sick of people nitpicking about how we do our job? Why dont you go to the AMA board and accuse doctors of improper surgery!!!
              I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by jdr
                Thank you for yout lengthy reply. I do support our police officers as I do understand the gravity of the job. By the way, I did notify a particular officer's supervisor once upon being passed by an officer who was speeding, as it turned out, to get to Kroger's grocery to do his shopping. I got no return call from the supervisor in regards to what action, if any, he took.

Jerry
                So thats what all this is about huh? you got blown off by a supervisor regarding an ALLEDGED speeding officer. Ok valid enough isssue, HOW DO YOU KNOW THE OFFICER was an OFFICER? I guess he was in a marked patrol unit? Dumb *** mistake on his part, unless hmmm maybe he was getting the supervisors dinner, maybe he didnt have the luxury that night to go out and call out for a dinner break, maybe he was stuck handling 8000 complaints from citizens, maybe he was doing annual evals, maybe he was sick and couldnt call off so he had his officer get dinner for him...
                Enough about speeding cars...
                I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by jdr
                  Jerry -- You do not know the circumstances of the officer that was allegedly speeding to get to Kroger's. How do you know he was not checking the accuracy of his speedometer/radar? How do you know that your speedometer is accurate? How do you know that he did not see a vehicle driving suspiciously (weaving/speeding/etc) up ahead and was speeding up to investigate? How do you know he was not responding to a backup call, and got placed in service? How fast do you think he was going?

As far as the supervisor not returning the call, personnel matters are not open for public discussion. That's standard procedure.

So, you support the police? How? What have you, Jerry, done to support the police?

And, thanks e-man, I think you assessed the situation very well.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr
                    Thank you for your responses. So, what is to be done concerning officers who abuse their powers?
                    As mentioned before, we police ourselves. The supervisors will quickly identify officers who "abuse" their power, and they are dealt with properly. I have seen an officer fired because he did not heed warnings to slow down. He was caught be supervisors (not citizens) multiple times.

As inidvidual officers and as departments, we are not immune from civil liability. Each officer has to make judgment calls about the risks of going a little faster to get to the call. We are supposed to be trusted to make sound decisions. We do not need every Tom, Dick, and Harry calling our supervisors every time they see us go 65 in a 55 -- because they don't think it's fair.

Comment

You dont like the way we do are job them why dont you go to the academy and became a officer yourself.

How do you know he was speeding? Did you pass him are use a speed measuring device. Wait you not trained to do either of those.

Do you complain on all the other drivers who were speeding that day? If not why are you targeting out the law enforcement officer who may have a reason for speeding instead of the guy who just wants make it to bingo before it starts.

Just because he was parked at krogers doesnt mean he was there for shopping, he could have a call there plus most departments dont let you use your car for personal use like that
                      John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M.
                        So here's a question back at you, JDR, how would you want the police to respond to your neighborhood, with a woman you know getting stalked or assaulted, and your local PD policy did not authorize a code-3 response???
                        Still waiting. You answered five others, but not my question...why
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Oh yes, and while I'm still awaiting your reply, please check this link out if you will....

Only SWORN OFFICERS (and retired) post here, and only about law enforcement topics. Forum monitored for compliance
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

As mentioned before, we police ourselves. The supervisors will quickly identify officers who "abuse" their power, and they are dealt with properly. I have seen an officer fired because he did not heed warnings to slow down. He was caught be supervisors (not citizens) multiple times.

As inidvidual officers and as departments, we are not immune from civil liability. Each officer has to make judgment calls about the risks of going a little faster to get to the call. We are supposed to be trusted to make sound decisions. We do not need every Tom, Dick, and Harry calling our supervisors every time they see us go 65 in a 55 -- because they don't think it's fair.
                            We do not need every Tom, Dick, and Harry calling our supervisors every time they see us go 65 in a 55 -- because they don't think it's fair.

Your quote above represents your acknowledgement that your speeding while off duty is illegal and that you have the right to break the same law that you are paid to enforce. I know for certain that if were pulled over and cited that I would have to pay a hefty fine. Again, what gives you that right to ignore the same law that you cite others for? Rather than being so defensive, why not just say that those who do not follow the letter of the law need to be dealt with just as we ordinary citizens are dealt with?

Comment

*** This has been edited, although still quoted below for those interested in what I said ***

Forgive my attempt at humour. While I find that picture oddly hilarious, it was by far more my intention to make people laugh than to insult anyone else. I look at it now, and find it unprofessional. Image removed from server as well, although it may be cached on your machine.
                              Last edited by Soon2Be; 06-19-2006, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr
                                We do not need every Tom, Dick, and Harry calling our supervisors every time they see us go 65 in a 55 -- because they don't think it's fair.

Your quote above represents your acknowledgement that your speeding while off duty is illegal and that you have the right to break the same law that you are paid to enforce. I know for certain that if were pulled over and cited that I would have to pay a hefty fine. Again, what gives you that right to ignore the same law that you cite others for? Rather than being so defensive, why not just say that those who do not follow the letter of the law need to be dealt with just as we ordinary citizens are dealt with?
                                Jerry: I think you're really on to something here. I think you should become an officer -- you can pioneer a new unit, Internal Affairs: Traffic Division. Who knows, maybe someday you'll work your way up to the FBI where you can have an impact on corrupt officers speeding nationwide. Since I came up with the idea, I just ask that any book or movie deals go through me. I can see it now... "Serpico II: RADAR with a Vengance."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4993 users online. 282 members and 4711 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X