300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Illinois, future LEO

I have almost completed my associates degree, and alot of my professors (who are also cops) are recommendding securing a position before completing my 4 year degree. They say that with the amount of troops currently deployed overseas, we are likely to see a great influx of said persons into law enforcement when they return, thus making it that much harder for us to get a position without military experience and other LE experience?

What is your take on this? I have started to watch some other forums and job listings, and quite of few of the suburban departments only require a H.S. diploma or GED. I have my diploma, and am already almost 1/2 way through college, and would definetly return to classes once I was off probation in a department.

I have started to research the requirement for the PT aspect of the job in Illinois, and have started training for them.

A couple questions: I have a screw that holds my femur into my hip that was put there when I was completing my growth as the leg was rotating. I can run without a problem, and haven't had any issues although, I am not as flexible as I should be because of this. In Illinois, part of the standards are the sit-and-reach test. If I am unable to "pass" or meet the requirement for this, am I automatically disqualified? For my age (21) I should be able to stretch 16" according to the standards. I am probably at around 10-12" prior to getting in shape and starting my workouts.

Also, do you have to meet a certain weight, or do you simply need to be able to pass the PT testing?

Thanks!

Welcome from Texas. Enjoy the forum, have fun and stay safe. I would direct you to the additional sections on the board, Ask a Cop,the employment section, as you can get more response there. Good luck with the hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by sledhead84
      I have almost completed my associates degree, and alot of my professors (who are also cops) are recommendding securing a position before completing my 4 year degree. They say that with the amount of troops currently deployed overseas, we are likely to see a great influx of said persons into law enforcement when they return, thus making it that much harder for us to get a position without military experience and other LE experience?

What is your take on this? I have started to watch some other forums and job listings, and quite of few of the suburban departments only require a H.S. diploma or GED. I have my diploma, and am already almost 1/2 way through college, and would definetly return to classes once I was off probation in a department.

I have started to research the requirement for the PT aspect of the job in Illinois, and have started training for them.

A couple questions: I have a screw that holds my femur into my hip that was put there when I was completing my growth as the leg was rotating. I can run without a problem, and haven't had any issues although, I am not as flexible as I should be because of this. In Illinois, part of the standards are the sit-and-reach test. If I am unable to "pass" or meet the requirement for this, am I automatically disqualified? For my age (21) I should be able to stretch 16" according to the standards. I am probably at around 10-12" prior to getting in shape and starting my workouts.

Also, do you have to meet a certain weight, or do you simply need to be able to pass the PT testing?

Thanks!
      I know that in order for you to pass you must be able to stretch to the 16". I have applied at a few departments in N. Illinois and that is required. If you can't pass that part then they won't let you go any further in the process. That is what the departments have told us at the orientations and written tests.

Comment

Welcome from New Jersey! Good luck with the process. You will find a lot of good advice here.
        Have fun and stay safe

Comment

Welcome to the site. Remember to add your two cents in any thread. We are all here to assist one another and pass on sometimes fun, sometimes important, sometimes sad, and sometimes helpful, information. Be safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6383 users online. 366 members and 6017 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X