300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer to B

Hello everyone. I just recently joined this forum. I currently live in Norfolk, VA with my wife and 3 year old daughter. I am originally from Ohio and served 9 1/2 years in the Navy. I am currently in the recruiting process with the city of Norfolk and the city of Suffolk. I figure one way or another I will get hired. The city of Norfolk is conducting my background investigation and should hear soon about an oral board. The academy starts November 7 and I hope I will be starting my law enforcement career then. I have always appreciated the men and women in blue sacrificing themselves everyday for the little bit of monetary compensation they receive. For me, the real compensation would be helping people and knowing that my job is making the difference in people's lives. I will keep everyone posted of my LE progress.
    Last edited by criticalthinker; 10-05-2005, 01:58 PM.

Hey, welcome to the site. I spent 8.5 years in the Nuclear Navy, 5 of it living in Hampton while I was stationed on the Enterprise. Welcome to the site and best of luck to you. Do you currently own a home down there, I can't believe how much home prices have gone up in the region since I left. Seems they are trying to price you guys out of the market.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Yes, I actually own 2 homes. One single family and one duplex. The duplex is located in east ocean view which has boomed in value. I bought it for $85,000 and it is worth closer to $189,000. I may sell it next year. Who knows. Real estate is crazy here for sure. A 3 bedroom condo in Virginia Beach sells for around $289,000. How is Texas? I know the city of Mesquite is hiring and the wages look pretty good, so I am wondering what the catch is... I looked up real estate in the Mesquite area and it looked a lot more affordable than here.

Critical Thinker

Comment

Come to Austin!!Everyone is hiring!!
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

The catch is the school systems. You pay based upon how good the schools are. Frisco & W. Plano have excellent schools, Mesquite, not so much so. PM my wife Tender Lumpling and she will give you the lowdown on all the different school systems. FWIW, I just bought a 3040 sq ft house in Frisco for 225k on 1/2 acre in a very nice neighborhood.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
            Come to Austin!!Everyone is hiring!!

I just looked up the City of Austin's website. They seem to have good benefits and pay. It also looks as if they may be a bit selective. Are you an LEO for the City of Austin? I will probably go through the academy here in VA and then maybe apply after I have a couple o f years under my belt. That may be an advantage. Who knows... I have visited the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a month when I was 18 and I really liked it. I will wait at least until I finish my BS degree in May of 2006 before I decide to move anywhere. I am currently awaiting the completion of the background investigation with the City of Norfolk. I will have their oral board left to complete. The academy starts November 7th and is 6 months long. So the process will be pretty quick from now to then. Thanks again for your comment...

CT

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              The catch is the school systems. You pay based upon how good the schools are. Frisco & W. Plano have excellent schools, Mesquite, not so much so. PM my wife Tender Lumpling and she will give you the lowdown on all the different school systems. FWIW, I just bought a 3040 sq ft house in Frisco for 225k on 1/2 acre in a very nice neighborhood.

I just may talk to your wife about the school systems. My daughter's education is a top priority of mine. She will be 3 in December and I want to make sure she is going to a good elementary school. Wow! 3040 sq ft. The biggest house I have owned was 2150. Sounds like a nice price and area. Are you currently a police officer with the city of Frisco? Thanks for the info!

CT

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                Just to clarify Pkagel's post Frisco and Plano (There is no such thing as West Plano Schools) have good schools. Both school districts pay there staff well and have robust tax bases and well funded programs.

Comment

Welcome also from north central Texas. Enjoy the forum, have fun and stay safe. Just about everywhere in Texas is needing help, we are presently down about 6 officers.

Comment

Originally posted by pawncop
                    Welcome also from north central Texas. Enjoy the forum, have fun and stay safe. Just about everywhere in Texas is needing help, we are presently down about 6 officers.

What city/town/parrish do you work for?

CT

Comment

I just got a call from the background investigator for my exit interview. I guess this is where he tells me about all of the bad things about being a police officer, just to see if I really want to do it or not. He also wants to talk to my wife. I guess he wants to prepare her as well. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope everything goes well. After the background, then I have my oral board with certain selected officials from the City of Norfolk. If I pass it, then there will be a recommendation to hire sent to the Chief of Police for final selection. I guess I will get a letter in the mail or a phone call for a job offer. Then I guess I will have tons of paperwork to do and a medical and psychological exam to do. The academy here starts November 7th and I can't wait... I plan on keeping a log of my days spent in the academy and maybe use them to help other people who are pursuing a career in law enforcement. Thanks for everyones help.

Please wish me luck...

CT

Comment

Originally posted by criticalthinker
                        I just looked up the City of Austin's website. They seem to have good benefits and pay. It also looks as if they may be a bit selective. Are you an LEO for the City of Austin? I will probably go through the academy here in VA and then maybe apply after I have a couple o f years under my belt. That may be an advantage. Who knows... I have visited the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a month when I was 18 and I really liked it. I will wait at least until I finish my BS degree in May of 2006 before I decide to move anywhere. I am currently awaiting the completion of the background investigation with the City of Norfolk. I will have their oral board left to complete. The academy starts November 7th and is 6 months long. So the process will be pretty quick from now to then. Thanks again for your comment...

CT
                        I live in a Town just outside of Austin and work for a County Sheriff about 50 miles from Austin.My next door neighbor and about 10 others in the neighborhood are Travis County Deputies (The county that encompasses Austin).I applied for them but didn't go to the testing date.
                        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
                          I live in a Town just outside of Austin and work for a County Sheriff about 50 miles from Austin.My next door neighbor and about 10 others in the neighborhood are Travis County Deputies (The county that encompasses Austin).I applied for them but didn't go to the testing date.

Wow, you must drive a lot to go to work! What is the climate (temps) like in your area? Is it alway damn hot like my wife thinks? I can do without the snow, but it is nice when you have a night in the 70's where you don't need A/C.

CT

Comment

But you well know their is a huge difference between E. Plano schools and W. Plano schools.

Originally posted by Northtechsan
                            Just to clarify Pkagel's post Frisco and Plano (There is no such thing as West Plano Schools) have good schools. Both school districts pay there staff well and have robust tax bases and well funded programs.

Comment

Background investigation complete

Hello all. Just wanted to update everyone on my application process. I received a call from my BI and he didn't tell me that I passed the background investigation, but he did say I should be hearing from someone very soon (next week) about an oral interview board. So I am going to go out on a limb and assume I passed. All I have left is the oral board, then I will get a conditional offer of employment which is conditional on me passing a medical screening and psychological evaluation. I will keep everyone informed on my progress. Thanks everyone for their support. God willing, I will start the Norfolk, VA Police Academy on November 7, 2005.

CT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6382 users online. 368 members and 6014 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X