300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the corporate world

That's right! It's my first post. I'm still working for a money manager here in southern california as an analyst - we have almost $500 billion in assets under management. The finance world is definitely unique, but rather boring. I've always wanted to enter LE, but as a non-US citizen (I hail from Canada) my options are basically nil, especially here in california. I apply for citizenship in december, so I should have it within a year from now. That being said, I'm so frickin tired of the corporate/investment world - sure the money is there, especially at my company - portfolio management is quite lucrative. But even at age 23, I've learned that money is only a tool. I'd much rather have job satisfaction and enjoyment than hate my job but be a millionaire. I know several people at my company that have more money than they know what to do with, but they lead unsatisfying lives. Job satisfaction isn't the end-all to this, but it definitely helps. Anyway, I know some others in LE, a few CHP's, a few Sheriff's, and it's something I've always loved and dreamed about. I know the real world now, and I know LE isn't all love and joy, not to mention job satisfaction, but I'd bet money it beats the hell out of sitting in front of an office looking at a computer and crunching numbers all day. I'm sure there are others that have done what I would like to do -shift from corporate to LE. I'd appreciate any input from anybody. I'm planning on applying to Irvine PD - it's close to where I work now in Newport Beach, they have a reputable, well-respected force and good community, not to mention good pay and as usual, excellent benefits (for now anyway, we'll see how public pensions for new hires pan out over the next decade...). I'm on these forums to gain as much information as possible about LE, and to network as well. I'd love to hear from any southern cal LE, especially Irvine PD or anyone who has applied to Irvine PD in the past. As a background, I have a Bachelor of Science (B.S. LOL) in Finance, and have worked various positions in the investment community for 2.5 years now. I'm married; no kids. I also had a pilot's license at age 14 (canada) - since expired because I didn't fly enough. I have done several CHP ride-alongs, and many many hours of volunteer work that will probably work out in my favor when I apply to Irvine. The funny thing about all of this is that my wife doesn't know - oh, she has always known I'd love to be cop, and I actually watch Cops (she hates it, but loves Judge Judy - go figure) but she doesn't think I'm actually serious about it. Perhaps I should tell her - knowing her, she won't be too thrilled, mainly because she'll be worrying about me all day. I'm wondering how I can present this in a manner that she will more readily accept - other than me just telling her this is what I'm doing.

Originally posted by Badkharma
    That's right! It's my first post. I'm still working for a money manager here in southern california as an analyst - we have almost $500 billion in assets under management. The finance world is definitely unique, but rather boring. I've always wanted to enter LE, but as a non-US citizen (I hail from Canada) my options are basically nil, especially here in california. I apply for citizenship in december, so I should have it within a year from now. That being said, I'm so frickin tired of the corporate/investment world - sure the money is there, especially at my company - portfolio management is quite lucrative. But even at age 23, I've learned that money is only a tool. I'd much rather have job satisfaction and enjoyment than hate my job but be a millionaire. I know several people at my company that have more money than they know what to do with, but they lead unsatisfying lives. Job satisfaction isn't the end-all to this, but it definitely helps. Anyway, I know some others in LE, a few CHP's, a few Sheriff's, and it's something I've always loved and dreamed about. I know the real world now, and I know LE isn't all love and joy, not to mention job satisfaction, but I'd bet money it beats the hell out of sitting in front of an office looking at a computer and crunching numbers all day. I'm sure there are others that have done what I would like to do -shift from corporate to LE. I'd appreciate any input from anybody. I'm planning on applying to Irvine PD - it's close to where I work now in Newport Beach, they have a reputable, well-respected force and good community, not to mention good pay and as usual, excellent benefits (for now anyway, we'll see how public pensions for new hires pan out over the next decade...). I'm on these forums to gain as much information as possible about LE, and to network as well. I'd love to hear from any southern cal LE, especially Irvine PD or anyone who has applied to Irvine PD in the past. As a background, I have a Bachelor of Science (B.S. LOL) in Finance, and have worked various positions in the investment community for 2.5 years now. I'm married; no kids. I also had a pilot's license at age 14 (canada) - since expired because I didn't fly enough. I have done several CHP ride-alongs, and many many hours of volunteer work that will probably work out in my favor when I apply to Irvine. The funny thing about all of this is that my wife doesn't know - oh, she has always known I'd love to be cop, and I actually watch Cops (she hates it, but loves Judge Judy - go figure) but she doesn't think I'm actually serious about it. Perhaps I should tell her - knowing her, she won't be too thrilled, mainly because she'll be worrying about me all day. I'm wondering how I can present this in a manner that she will more readily accept - other than me just telling her this is what I'm doing.

May I suggest becoming a reserve officer somewhere in S.Ca. rather than give up the money completely.

Either that or I'll trade ya.

Oh, and welcome to O.Com.
    Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

The reserve suggestion is a good one. You also better fill in your better half on what you are planning. Some wives would not care for that surprise very much..."Hi honey I'm home I'll be starting the academy tommorow and I won't have my good paying job any more". With that said, good luck on whatever you decide!

Comment

,/,/,/,/,./,./,.//,./
        Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 09:34 AM.
        Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions. Perhaps I didn't clarify. I don't

make good money now. I'm only 23. The academy pay with Irvine PD is at or

higher than what I make now. I'm at a good company, and I just have the

potential to make a ton, but that's a hit or a miss with the odds very much

against me, which is obviously not a guarantee, either. It's a long, narrow,

uphill road with cliffs on both sides and only gold to show for it in the end.

Besides, my wife is a teacher and makes over $50K a year. If I was a cop

we'd be pulling in over $100K here. Is that not enough?

I inserted spaces so it's easier to read. LOL

Comment

I worked in the corporate world for 1.5years. I completly quit and pursued my dream. My husband had made it prior to me quitting my job..and I just recently (last week) got a job in LE. You'll be fine, trust me. And you'll be happy, trust me again. By the way, I'm only 23 and I think it's the best decision I've ever made, besides getting married of course

Ps...the idea of having a job I love and not a million dollars wasn't as hard of a decision as I thought it would be! PM me if you have any questions.
            "The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."
            - Ronald Reagan

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose."
            - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Welcome from Texas. Have been a reserve officer now for 26+ years. Work in healthcare so I get quite a bit of job satisfaction. It is a good suggestion to try the reserve route, somedays the satisfaction with law enforcement is better than others.

Comment

holy cow that was hard to read.
                I agree, don't put stuff in so big a block!
                That having been said though, welcome to the site!
                Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Ditto on sending the report back with a editing note: "The return key is your friend. Use it. Strike One."

I only wish my local Sheriff's Department had a reserve unit. The area is so small that they have plenty of coverage, even with the special events detail. Mainly because they hire private security for special events coverage.
                  N. A. Corbier
                  Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                  Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Holy crap, I just looked back and realized it is hard to read. I've been on other types of forums and not had the same issue. Dang. My bad, people! LOL It is a lot harder to read against a bright white background too.

Comment

I'll trade you jobs. You can have mine and I will take yours!!!!

Comment

You must have no experience being cube city for 9+ hours a day LOL. Like I said, my job doesn't pay well right now. It could eventually (not the position, but advancing thru the company), but not now. No, no you don't want it. Trust me. I will say that the location is awesome. I'm 1/2 a mile from the ocean in Newport Beach. The weather is usually always perfect - either foggy all day (rare in summer), or sunny and about 78 with a light sea breeze. Too bad I'm stuck inside all day so I can't really enjoy it. And sorry, I don't want to move to michigan. It would remind me of Manitoba, a place I have no desire to live again after growing up there for part of my childhood.

Comment

I know what it is like to be in the "CUBE" 6+ years at AT&T, what hell!! I took
                          a pay hit at first, but I changed my life style, re-finaced my home, got rid of a car payment. If you want it, do it know, with no kids this is your best shot. Talk, talk I repeat TALK it over with your wife first!!

GL

Comment

Oh I'm definitely bringing it up with the wife. This is something you can't just drop on your family without discussion first. I'd have a lot more to worry about than thugs with guns if I did that. LOL

Comment

Well I brought it up with the wife tonight. She was wondering how I was surviving in the corporate world and fully supports me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5637 users online. 316 members and 5321 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X