300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, from WI

Hello, found this site off of Google, have been posting a few times, then noticed this thread.

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin, run a small security company up here. Came up here because I hate the Florida heat, and because my significant other wanted to finish college in her home town.

I've spent about 10 years learning, then training others, that law enforcement and private security are two different professions that happen to share some equipment and mission requirements. Nothing pleases me more to have police officers who will not only accept backup from your company's officers, but who will call you and request assistance if their own people are too far away, or they know your closer.

This is something that my old employer enjoyed. While PD and my officers had different jobs, when it came down to it, PD would back my officers up, and we would back PD up. To know you produce officers who are professional enough that the area police will rely on them for support, and that your own officers can rely on police for support, is very good indeed.

I'm currently getting bored, leaving the business to my subordinates, and in a CJ degree program. Part of its for professional development, but the other part is I will probally apply to the local police or SO, and put my time in there.

Oh, and it saddens me that the private security industry is filled with idiots of all stripe. Especially when there are 8 private security persons to 1 sworn officer in most areas. Hopefully, something will hit critical mass, and the idiot guards and the companies that provide them will face state mandated training approaching law enforcement academies.
    N. A. Corbier
    Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
    Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Welcome. Forgive my ignorance but I am here to learn. I'm a cop in Scotland and security companies over here can be very 'dodgy' and have limited to no powers. They are not allowed carry any batons or handcuffs which may surprise you (or not). Visiting mainland Europe I have seen security guards with batons and handcuffs and I am aware in the States they can also carry firearms. Could you direct me to a site or other info that will explain to me what a private police company etc is? I don't want to fill your thread with what is no doubt common knowledge to most readers.

Take care meantime.....DD

Comment

Originally posted by Duty Dog
      Welcome. Forgive my ignorance but I am here to learn. I'm a cop in Scotland and security companies over here can be very 'dodgy' and have limited to no powers. They are not allowed carry any batons or handcuffs which may surprise you (or not). Visiting mainland Europe I have seen security guards with batons and handcuffs and I am aware in the States they can also carry firearms. Could you direct me to a site or other info that will explain to me what a private police company etc is? I don't want to fill your thread with what is no doubt common knowledge to most readers.

Take care meantime.....DD
      Its not common knowledge, trust me. Wisconsin has a hilarious loophole in its law, in that you can run a "private security," "guard," or "private police" company. I had to have a lawyer tell me what the heck a "private police" company is. According to the lawyer, its a private company which enforces laws and regulations.

Alot of security companies hire off duty cops up here. I'm not really seeing the point, I see it as kinda cheating. Wisconsin's laws reguarding Private Security are one step from the Wild West. You have to take an abridged version of the State Police Firearms course to carry a gun up here. You may carry batons, pepper spray, and handcuffs. You may not carry a taser, in this state, as they're illegal in civilian hands. Other states authorize their carry by civilians.

You make detainments for crimes committed in your presence, at which point you turn the offender over to a law enforcement officer who responds. Ie: Citizen's Arrest. I've had police officers argue that its pointless to do that, but having been required to do it before (In Florida) I've found it effective to terminating a dangerous situation immediately, especially when the average response time was 20-25 minutes for the city police.

Basically, its part marketing gimmick, and part defining what a company does. My officers are not going to just stand there like an idiot and write down a suspect description while the guy is busy raping a woman. (This happened in Florida, many times, at least the woman sued the hopsital and the guard company. And won.) They will take action to protect the property, including the people on it. As I've said, I'm a businessman. The state requires no training for private security, and just recently lumped them in with Private Detectives as far as regulation. Whatever I can do to convince potential clients that they can replace their rent-an-idiot in the jeans, ill-fitting uniform shirt, and tin "gold lion" badge, I'm going to use to my advantage.
      Last edited by nacorbier; 08-23-2005, 02:11 PM.
      N. A. Corbier
      Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
      Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Welcome from Texas, Enjoy the forum. Have fun and stay safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4786 users online. 290 members and 4496 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X