Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MizzMaddie
    Sheeez...

now everybody should know by now what is worn underneath the kilt!

Oh btw, do we have some Gaelic speakers (little, fluent, just kidding) on here? Pretorian, wasn't that more Gaeilge?

Madainn mhath dhuibh... a'las.
    Yes, it was. I am trying to teach myself to speak it. I'm half Irish, half German.

Comment

I don't know whether I'm impressed or embarrased that Mizzmadie probably speaks better Gaelic than I. Anna maith ar fad! Apologies Praetorian, I was thinking of more the Riverdance show where one is a rigid stiff from the waist up and dances like bejasus from the waist down (as opposed to how I dance which is just rigid stiff ).

Slan go foil agus oiche maith. (Now I'm running out of phrases I can remember from primary school....stop it!!)

DD

Comment

Praetorian,

do you know what part of Ireland your family hails from, i.e. do they hail from Cork or were they unlucky. You can ask them that, just make sure if they are not from Cork there is nothing loaded nearby and you can make a quick escape...you know what can happen to the messenger!

I'd love to say I could help you with the Irish language but I ever only spoke the Munster dialect and that was too many years ago to remember. I can probably speak more Spanish now than Irish.....and the less said about that the better.

Be good, be careful.

Comment

Hi DD

not that i post much but its nice to have another UK member around!!

take care

Comment

I am not really sure where they hailed from. Last name is Berrigan. Offaly, I believe.
            Last edited by Praetorian; 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM.

Comment

ah... well... Irish as in Irish English or Irish as in Irish Gaelic?

Co-dhiu! Anyway, sad thing to say that most Scots have little interest in what was once spoken by the majority of them... well not that there is much need for a cop to speak Gaidhlig nowadays.

May be we should talk to each other, Praet, both languages of the Gaedheil are close enough to be understood, some grammar and spelling changes...
              Wir koennten auch Deutsch sprechen, wenn gewuenscht.

Oidhche mhath a h-uile duine / good night to everybody.
              Last edited by MizzMaddie; 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking of taking German in college for my language credit.
                I took a semester of Latin but I won't really be able to apply it to real life, so I am going to take Spanish or German...

I wish my school offered Gaelic.

Comment

In Lousiana, that would be awesome, but very surprising, lol. There are a couple of study groups for Gaeilge and Ghaidhlig. I considered Latin as a waste of time but I learned better when studying Spanish and Italian... anyway, I'd loved to have been able to study Ghaidlig in school, but alas, fat chance.

Comment

Welcome from the great state of Texas. Will not try an Gaelic, stillhavin trubble with English. Enjoy the forum. Have fun and stay safe.

Comment

Praetorian, Offaly!1..a fine part of the country. Yes Irish Gaelige and Scots Gaelic can be very similiar. When I learnt Irish it was a mixture of all the dialects but predominatley Munster Irish..hard to believe with the size of Ireland that it still has different dialects, but it has. My friends from Donegal explainred to me once that they could speak to and understand somebody speaking Scots gaelic whereas I would'nt. It is also compulsory to learn Irish at home where here in Scotland you have to find a scholol that teaches it. In Ireland, if you wnat to be a cop and join An Garda Siochana who have to be able to speak Irish, this is not he case for the Scots Police forces, Thankfully!

Pawncop..when the others are speaking wonderful languages you and I can struggle through this English language eh!?

Cinders..Howdo!

Take care

Comment

Fine, ignore me.

Have fun.

Comment

Welcome from the New Orleans Police Department USA Hope you enjoy the forum. Joseph
                          Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Hullo mate, I'm from not to far away. Parents live in Greenock and I was brought up on the Isle of Bute.

Comment

I was in Scotland 2 years ago. Great country, nice people. Yep, I tried Haggis too. Went to the Tattoo in Edinburgh and had a great time.
                              Aude Sapere

Comment

Evetech, Tigger, Joseph, thanks for the post. Just a quick note now that I'm backshift. Looking forward to going on holiday back home for a week or so for my brothers wedding.........I told him, he just would'nt listen!!!!

Anyway to friends old and new, be safe and take care. I must go and mentally prepare myself for drinking loads of Guinness..its s dirty job....

DD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4134 users online. 265 members and 3869 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X