Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brief Introduction

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Steve here, I'm currently in my third year of college, and I've recently changed my major from Political Science to Law Enforcement. With my changing major comes a change of schools, I've downgraded from Northern Illinois University to my local community college.

While at Northern, I was part of the AROTC, however I decided it was not for me. Due to some financial troubles, I had to move home and thought long and hard on what I wanted to do as a career. In keeping with the civil servant tract, I decided that I am going to become a police officer.

Along with taking Law Enforcement classes and working towards an Assosciates Degree in L.A., I've joined the local Police Explorer Post out of Skokie, IL (I'm also an Eagle Scout).

I am hoping that this forum will help me better realize what I need to better prepare myself as police officer.

Some of the main points I need to work on are:
    <ul>
    <li>my weight
    <li>my strength

I would love any advice that anyone is willing to give me about becoming a police officer.

-Steve aka snachodog
    *NOT a LEO*

Learning is not compulsory. . . neither is survival.
    -Deming

my livejournal

Well, are you too fat or too skinny? As far as strength goes, hit the gym, your CC has one, maybe take a Phys Ed class.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

About weight:

Its definitly is because I'm too fat.

Out at university I partook in way too much dorm food, and then I joined a fraternity and had a beer too many. I didn't even think of taking a phys ed course at the community college, I'm going to enroll right now. While in HS I did, in fact, take a weight lifting class and gained a lot of strength, but my concern for strength is that since I've put on so much weight, in order to pass the physical exams, I have bench press 90% of my body weight. Right now, that'd be just under 270 lbs! Now, I'm obviously planning on dropping some body weight by way of fat, but I'm still a large guy, I've naturally got a large body mass.
      *NOT a LEO*

-Deming

my livejournal

Comment

Well, unless your applying next week, don't worry about the req's. Work your butt off and get your weight under control and you'll pass the tests when the time comes.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Definitly, I just need to make a conscious effort to remind/motivate myself to hit the gym, monitoring my eating etc. I probably won't be applying for another six months to a year so I most certainly have some time.
          *NOT a LEO*

-Deming

my livejournal

Comment

Welcome to the o

Comment

looks like your post got cutoff o Sutrooper.
              *NOT a LEO*

-Deming

my livejournal

Comment

Welcome from Texas. Good luck with the educational process. Check out the "Ask a Cop" and "Rookie" section.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3010 users online. 140 members and 2870 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X