Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another New guy with a lot of ?'s.

Hello all,

I'm 31 years old and finally able to go for the career I have always wated. I just took and passed the CJBAT. I'm located in the Orlando, FL area, and am applying to Valencia Community College Police Acadamy.

When getting my needed paper work for the registration the secratary there mentioned a letter of sponsorship. It would boost my chances of getting accepted in March.

1.Has anyone ever gotten one of these from a department on Orlando?

2.How do you obtain one?

3.Will adepartment give a letter stating they will hire you after completing the academy but not pay for the academy?

4. Should I contact a department , apply and then ask the for sponsorship?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Eric
    MrAiric7

"Keep Your Priorities in Order"

"Know When to Act Without Hesitation"

Welcome from Texas. Lively bunch of folks here. Stay safe.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to being part.
      MrAiric7

Comment

A letter of sponsorship is difficult to obtain if you are talking about being hired and paid to attend basic standards. If you are referring to the practice of checking your criminal history and preparing a letter for the academy, I thought that practice was abandoned years ago.

If you do want to be sponsored and paid through the acedemy, then you need to go through the hiring process. You are considered an employee at that point.

I am in Central Florida and am a lieutenant at a sheriff's office here. Good luck at Valencia. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.
        "You are always just one bad decision away from unemployment, prison or death."

"My profession dictates that I routinely confront the people that the average citizen fearfully crosses the street to avoid. Then I must endure the criticism of that citizen as he judges my actions from afar."

www.speforums.com

Comment

Spetactical.com which Sheriffs office are you part of?

My only concern is that a lot of the spaces are reserved by different departments in the area. I would have a better chance to get in to the academy if I was sponsored.

I'm 31 and have only had a few jobs, meaning I have stayed with the companies for a long time.I am currently an Account Executive (sales) for a whoelsale company. Since I was a child and my mothers friend was a police office in Jacksonville Florida I have always wanted to be in Law Enforcement.

I have a little college under my belt but no degree and would most likly have to find a job at a small department to gain the experience needed before being able to join a department like Orlando Police Department or even a Sheriffs department.

Smaller Departments like Oviedo Police Department don't sponsor. Maybe if I work the Emergency Call Center I can find an in with them.

Any clues on how to be a sure thing getting in the academy?

Thanks,

Eric
          MrAiric7

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4642 users online. 269 members and 4373 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X