Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time lurker...negative incident on PHS...finally passed the oral boards!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time lurker...negative incident on PHS...finally passed the oral boards!

Hello all. I am a 39 year old, 21 year active duty military member looking to get into the LEO community after my military retirement. I started looking on this forum a long time ago to find out if I had a chance to become a LEO with an assault in my background (long story - charges dropped). I never asked my question, because a quick search revealed many other folks that had already asked similar questions. The answers were pretty sobering, but they were realistic and they were appreciated. I tested and oral boarded with 3 Cali Bay Area agencies, but I was convinced the assault was holding me back. I asked a police officer mentor that I know to look at my PHS. He and a partner of his critiqued the hell out of it and sent it back to me. I incorporated the suggestions and I made it through the oral boards with the first agency to see the "new" PHS. I am now waiting for a call from the BI to schedule me to come in and/or do the polygraph. I am ecstatic to begin this new chapter. Its a great feeling knowing that I will have the chance to go from honorably serving my country, to serving my community. My dad did 20 years and my little sister currently has 14 years in the military. My dad started a tradition of serving. Maybe I can be the guy that starts a family tradition of serving the community AFTER military service. I'll keep you posted on the next few stages. To those of you working your way through the hiring phases...good luck!

-LEO candidate-
    Last edited by stray321; 03-10-2016, 08:46 PM.

Welcome to O.com and thank you for your service to this great nation. Good luck with getting hired on.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Good luck. I know the area well

With those kind of charges, it won't be easy......but good luck.
        REINSTATE THE TRIG
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        Your logic defies logic
        Originally posted by Rudy8116
        Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
        Originally posted by Michigan
        Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
        Originally posted by TheTick
        A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
        Originally posted by TheTick
        This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
        Originally posted by 02paul09
        Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Welcome aboard!
            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

UPDATE: Today was my meeting with my BI and it went really well. I just disclosed everything and let the chips fall where they lay. He said I was a good candidate. I'm guessing it had a lot to do with my other attributes that over-shadowed any negativity (the assault, a few traffic tickets and counselings I received as a young Airman 20 years ago). I have my degree w/ 4.0 GPA, I directly lead 70 young Airmen in my unit, spotless credit, multiple awards at work, I own 4 homes, and I just got my California conceal carry. I'm already scheduled for my poly next week! I know its not about luck, but wish me luck next week anyway please.
              Last edited by stray321; 07-09-2016, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Great post and I'm glad everything went well with your BI. I just did my first polygraph portion of the hiring process last week. I'm assuming this is going to be your first one? Go in confident, breathe as normal as possible, and answer truthfully. You will do great!

Comment

Thank you for your service! Best of luck!

Comment

Thank you for your service. Status?
                      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Update: So this process is not quick. I originally applied to this department August 2015. I just had my home visit last week and it was great. They saw that I had a wakeboard boat and jokingly made a comment that "we gotta get this guy hired so we can get out on the lake". They literally went through my entire house. They saw that I had a 2nd Amendment sign in my garage and asked to see my gun safe. They said they liked the fact that I had the US Flag on display outside. So that was last week...this week my BI said his investigation was complete. He consolidated his findings in a package and placed the file on his boss's desk for final approval. He said I'm the type of candidate that is highly sought after and my chances look really good. So now I wait some more. If its signed off I will get a conditional offer and next step is the med and psych. I have my military retirement in the beginning of December then I go on terminal leave til March 2017. The academy starts in January (I'm sponsored), it qualifies for G.I. Bill housing stipend payments. So I'll still be getting active duty pay until March when it turns to retired pay, police department pay, GI Bill pay and maybe VA disability pay at the same time. So I will definitely be able to get some last minute post-retirement bills paid off early next year! Things are looking good and I'm excited about this new chapter!
                        Last edited by stray321; 10-06-2016, 10:44 PM.

Comment

From one AF guy to another, welcome! Thanks for your service and best wishes on your remaining process.

Comment

Good to hear its still going forward, good luck.
                            Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                            “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                            “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                            "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                            ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Good luck!
                              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3335 users online. 223 members and 3112 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X