X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current NY train conductor saying hello

Hello guys,

My name is Paul,

I'm located In Niagara Falls, NY and am currently a Train Conductor for CSX. I have been there about a year and not liking it. I Take all the local exams I can get to (i work on an on call list that calls me every 10-12 hours into work) .I get one day a week off and the rest I'm on call. If you have someone related who works for the railroad you know how bad the quality of life is. I am 22 years old but have a good head on my shoulders and finally understand money isn't everything. Some beg to differ on that but the way I see it I've been on both ends of the pay scale and can easily make six figures where I'm at and the more you make the more the railroad owns your soul. Its not for me, maybe if I didn't have a strong family/ home life that I can never attend to anymore. I have taken the most recent county/ state co tests as well as NYS court officer exams and I am praying I get into the courts. To me it seems like the best gig to have a home life and be able to be there for you family. I have a very strong passion for the law enforcement field and its all I want in my life.

Enough of my rant, just wanted to give ya a little taste of my life and where I want to be in the future. Praying I hear good results for the NYS courts this coming spring so I can better my moral.

the more you make the more the railroad owns your soul.

Wow!!!!

Well gud luck'z brotha' pdao.....I'm a train robber....

But I won't rob yaz' cuz I hate NY....

Gud luck wid' da' exams..

Da' Admiral of da' O. Prof. Alex "Sully" Sullivan
    Originally posted by mookster
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Originally posted by CityCopDC
    I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
    Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
    I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
    -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Paul, you certainly are on the right TRACK (no pun intended). You are young enough and unlike many who decide late on this career of ours, time is on your side. Keep taking tests, keep your nose clean at work and be lucky you have a job, use it as a stepping stone to your LE career. I'm assuming you have college? If not find some time to get back in to school, as most LE jobs require some higher education (personally I don't believe it) these days. Good luck to you Paul.
      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Good luck on the Court Officer exam! A great law enforcement job.

Comment

I was dying to become a conductor for NS, but can't ever pass the technical exam!
          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Welcome and good luck.

Comment

Welcome to O.com and best of luck to you getting a job you are better suited for.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone! It means a lot to hear some encouraging words. Hoping to hear good news in spring, its a great position in the LE field, at least for me where my family and other time consuming hobbies have all been put on the back-burner with my current position as a conductor. Cant wait for the results and start getting into my hobbies and family events again.

As for schooling I dont have a degree but with some college I had attended before a back accident with a large dog bite and the credit I can transfer from my CSX training to a different school I will have enough hours for a lot in NY. Its just been a pain trying to sort that out with working 70 hour weeks with only one rest day every week and on call the other 6 days. Thats why the court appeals to me so much, good pay, great hours

Comment

If feel for your situation. I worked as a switchman, and thru freight Conductor with a class one. I took a fifty percent cut in pay to go back into LE, as well as 12 years senority I gave up. I do not regret it a bit. Even if you have to go back into the yard or a local to be able to get that degree, do it. You simply are not as competitive an applicant if you do not have an associates.

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I work close to your location, it is a very competitive area. Another option, which I'm not sure if you thought of is the Niagara County Sherrifs. They have a lot of different positions with their agency. The city hires frequently too, if you are on their list.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                      If feel for your situation. I worked as a switchman, and thru freight Conductor with a class one.
                      Good luck!

damn, I had no idea thar' was so many train peeps here...I wud have a million Q's fer ya'll if we were on a train...

How much electronics on on them thingys now?
                      How do ya' communicate? H.F.,VHF, UHF, ect?
                      What is tha' nominal output in H.P. of one big engine?
                      I used to fly a 172, can ya' put it on auto pilot and take 40 winks?
                      How many MP Gal can ya get on a one big engine train with max cars haul'in coal?
                      Where do ya' keep da' payroll safe?

How many classes can a Conductor get?

I.E. I have a federal 1st class radiotelephone licence W/ radar endorsement, and a 2nd class radiotelegraph licence. I am not eligible for a 1st class radiotelegraph until I spend one year on da' high seas.
                      Originally posted by mookster
                      Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                      Originally posted by CityCopDC
                      I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                      Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                      I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                      -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                        Welcome to the forum. I work close to your location, it is a very competitive area. Another option, which I'm not sure if you thought of is the Niagara County Sherrifs. They have a lot of different positions with their agency. The city hires frequently too, if you are on their list.

Best of luck.
                        I have considered every part of law enforcement. I do not meet the requirements as most of our area (Niagara and erie county) generally need the 60 credit hours to become an officer. As of right now I have about 35 and thats even if they will honor my conductor training (some colleges will honor them). As far as I knew they needed 60 hours to work for Niagara county. If they do not please correct me and or point me in the right direction if you'd like to pm me Id appreciate it. Other than the corrections exam (which isnt what I want to be in but if its a step in the right direction I may take it), I have applied for fereral jobs (TSA, CBP Officers, Homeland security Dispatching, and BP agents). Only promising one as of now is TSA (only part time).

I also was told locally Lewiston Police are hiring through their general clerk, I applied because as part time officers don't need the 60 hour requirement but need to attend the academy. I would love to go and take it but I have to support myself which I couldn't working for the railroad.

Comment

Originally posted by asullivan View Post

damn, I had no idea thar' was so many train peeps here...I wud have a million Q's fer ya'll if we were on a train...

How much electronics on on them thingys now?
                          How do ya' communicate? H.F.,VHF, UHF, ect?
                          What is tha' nominal output in H.P. of one big engine?
                          I used to fly a 172, can ya' put it on auto pilot and take 40 winks?
                          How many MP Gal can ya get on a one big engine train with max cars haul'in coal?
                          Where do ya' keep da' payroll safe?

How many classes can a Conductor get?

I.E. I have a federal 1st class radiotelephone licence W/ radar endorsement, and a 2nd class radiotelegraph licence. I am not eligible for a 1st class radiotelegraph until I spend one year on da' high seas.

The classes for the railroad depend on who you are hired to operate for. CSX is a class one railroad.

Payroll is out in Jacksonville so they may be someone to talk to haha,

and there is no "auto pilot" no sleeping on the job, which is a task in itself. If you run a red signal into the back or another stopped train lets just say nothing good will be coming. I couldnt tell ya what kind of power they put out as Im not an engineer and half of them wouldnt know unless they are rail nuts. Road units have the biggest engines and they are really just big generators since they are powering electric traction motors.

generally road units have more than one engine running with them (2,3,4,etc)

http://kohlin.com/freq/AAR_freqs.htm

^^^^ thats what we use for radio communications.

Comment

I will trade you my five figure salary for your six figure salary.... The longer I am away from home,the longer I will stay married.
                            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Well Mine is under 6 figures as I work more in the yard than the road but besides the point haha. I would gladly switch jobs with you. If the distance between ya guys takes away tension then it would be a great job for ya haha. Mine and a lot of guys that work there are the exact opposite. Most spouses cant take the lifestyle railroaders live and unfortunately usually end in divorce and I can see why first hand with the current girlfriend. We have never been "perfect" but tensions are much more high now with constantly never knowing when Im working, when Ill be home, etc. Very hard on the home and personal life. Law enforcement is my dream and I dont plan on giving up just yet. I plan on waiting until I get my results from the courts this late spring early summer and see where I rank up. If It looks as if I scored in a higher percentile I will suck it up and wait if not I believe the air force reserves is calling my name. To me its killing two birds with one stone. Depending what path I get into there I can get enough credit hours to take any exams in NY for law, get to keep my job for the time being, and able to get off a lot easier at work for "guard duty"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4706 users online. 273 members and 4433 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X