Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Bay Area -- Female

Hello Everyone,

I've browsed this forum a bit over the last month or two. I've worked in healthcare the last 8 years as an administrator (glorified office work). I desired to join the military after high school but my parents didn't approve at the time. They were both paramedics and quite paranoid about their daughter enlisting. I've always had a calling to serve whether it's here at home or over seas. I have been exploring a career in law enforcement for the last few months more in depth.

I am a mom and I'm almost 30. Half way through my BA. I live in the SF Bay Area (Hercules). I rarely see female police officers. I think the last graduating class for the OPD had 1. I am really seeking insight from fellow female police officers in the area. I would also like any input from anyone on the process of applying for a recruit position. I know being a veteran helps your chances which I am not. Is there anything else I can do to prepare ahead of time? I hear up to 80% of the women who attempt the physical agility test do not make it through. I have been doing a lot of conditioning, strength-training, and Crossfit to hopefully better prepare me for the physical portion of the testing/academy. I will be applying in SF, Napa, and Contra Costa County. If not accepted for a recruit type of position I may go ahead and do the academy on my own...If anyone did this route I'd love to hear from you.

Again, I appreciate any input, encouragement, or advice anyone can offer. I'd love to connect with other female officers in the bay area.

Welcome!
    For unknown reasons the numbers of women entering Law Enforcement is low. I don't know where you get the 80% failure number. Take the PAT & see how you do.
    The South Bay Academy in San Jose has a practice session if you want to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
      Welcome!
      For unknown reasons the numbers of women entering Law Enforcement is low. I don't know where you get the 80% failure number. Take the PAT & see how you do.
      The South Bay Academy in San Jose has a practice session if you want to try it.
      Thank You! I have heard of them...They combine dispatch and fire courses as well. I would love to do a practice session so I will look it up. The 80% I got through some "cited" sources on wiki and through a site dedicated to female officers. I definitely don't know if it's true but I figured the more prepared I am the better. Have you heard of anyone completing the academy without sponsorship by a hiring agency?

Comment

Welcome and good luck. If you haven't, yet. I'd recommend checking California down in the individual states section for specific info on the bay area.
        Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
        “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
        “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
        "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
        ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
          I'd recommend checking California down in the individual states section

Naw, check me out'z first miss tawnymarie, Tha' wemen folk'z just fight and scratch over the Admiral here...And besides, iz da' best look'in and da' richest He-man dude round tha' O.

Ask anyone!!!! they tell ya'....Ya' taint' one of them Cali 101 libs is ya???

I'd love to connect with other female officers in the bay area.
          Thar'z only one connection ta' be made dat' makes a lick O sense, And that'z me!!!!

Your handsome friend,

Alex The Admiralty, "Sully" Sullivan at ya' service!!!
          Originally posted by mookster
          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
          Originally posted by CityCopDC
          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

The last several years the majority of academy recruits are self sponsored.

Comment

Last edited by calmonte; 10-14-2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5820 users online. 336 members and 5484 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X