Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and Gratitude

Salutations,

Glad to be joining the LE community. About me; I live in a VERY rural area in Missouri in a county of approx 4000 people. The SD here has two deputies and the county seat has just a small handful of municipal officers. I will be staying on the other side of the state with family while I attend an academy at a community college. My first day is in two weeks! I'm 6'5" and 275lbs. I can run the 1.5 in 12.5-13mins and can do around 40 pushups at once. Will I have trouble? I've been a firearms enthusiast for many years and am very safe. I also study law as a hobby.

I know that because of how rural my location is that it may be a challenge to find work, is that true? This being said, I know I will also be one of very few qualified to do the job unlike those large municipalities swimming with competition for a LE position. Thoughts?

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what some of the differences between being hired and going to an academy on an agency's dime or putting yourself through an academy are. Advantages? Disadvantages? How will the experience differ? Will a school run academy be less demanding than an agency that is paying you to be there?

Many thanks for your service keeping our communities safe and the perspective you help provide people like myself,

Buc

Welcome to O.com. Good luck with the new job.
    Originally posted by Bucvrus View Post
    I'm 6'5" and 275lbs. I can run the 1.5 in 12.5-13mins and can do around 40 pushups at once. Will I have trouble? I've been a firearms enthusiast for many years and am very safe. I also study law as a hobby.

I know that because of how rural my location is that it may be a challenge to find work, is that true? This being said, I know I will also be one of very few qualified to do the job unlike those large municipalities swimming with competition for a LE position. Thoughts?
    You should do fine. Being physically fit, educated and trained (along with the 'can-do' attitude) will serve you well.

Originally posted by Bucvrus View Post
    I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what some of the differences between being hired and going to an academy on an agency's dime or putting yourself through an academy are. Advantages? Disadvantages? How will the experience differ? Will a school run academy be less demanding than an agency that is paying you to be there?
    A lot of this depends on the agency, state and locale. The biggest advantages of a sponsored academy are that the agency pays for the training AND pays you to go. The biggest disadvantages of self-sponsoring are your having to pay for the training, not being able to work while you train and if you get hired by an agency that has their own academy, they MAY require you to go through it (a bit redundant).

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4978 users online. 296 members and 4682 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X