Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an old retired Soldier

Howdy All!

Retired from the US Army a little more than a year ago, sat on my duff for a few months, then looked into becoming a police officer, after discovering the Defense Industry was downsizing and the ROTC jobs I'd hoped for weren't panning out.

Applied for two departments, passing the PT and written tests, made it all the way to the City Council interview in one - never heard back from them. Was shot down for the other, likely because I'm in my mid-40s, and folks don't want to train a middle-aged combat vet from scratch (of course they never say why you aren't selected - lawsuits and such).

Just as well, was picked up by a regional Security corporation and transplanted to Memphis, where as a branch manager I get to work with an outstanding group of individuals, including some great MPD folks who need some extra income and so do some great security work for us in rougher parts of town.

Looking forward to seeing what I can learn from the subject matter experts here.
    "I cannot consent to place in the control of others one who cannot control himself."

- Robert E. Lee

Welcome to O.com and thank you for serving this great nation.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Welcome to O dot com and thank you for your service! Where did you uproot from so quickly to head for Memphis? Did you have to drag anyone along?

You'll learn a lot in here; there are some outstanding veteran military, veteran police officers and outstanding civilians.
      "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
      ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
        Welcome to O dot com and thank you for your service! Where did you uproot from so quickly to head for Memphis? Did you have to drag anyone along?
        Transferring from Huntsville, AL, which was my final PCS move - so get to eat this one. Wife will be joining me in about a week or so; have been living out of a hotel.

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
        You'll learn a lot in here; there are some outstanding veteran military, veteran police officers and outstanding civilians.
        Thanks! Had a boss once who had a quote I've adopted:

"Everyone is my superior, in that I might learn something from him."
        "I cannot consent to place in the control of others one who cannot control himself."

- Robert E. Lee

Comment

Welcome, jegs2! I'm sure we'll learn from you as well.

Comment

Great quote, just copied it. I have a close friend in Huntsville, and one in Heth, Ark, which she says is about next door to Memphis; that's where she and her family go for medical care and most everything else.

Way too hot out that way, even in the spring and fall. I don't even mind tornadoes (five years in OKC), just keep the temperature below 50 F.
            "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
            ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

I see you're in Washington state - great area! Wife and I lived out at Fort Lewis (between Olympia and Tacoma) for seven years cumulative, and we really liked the area.

Had we any family out that way, or had I been offered a lucrative job, we might well have moved back out there.

- Robert E. Lee

Comment

Welcome and thank you for your service, sir.
                Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3452 users online. 182 members and 3270 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X