300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from California

I know this section isn't the best for question but I want to explain everything as a whole. So here it goes! and it's nice to meet everyone!

Hello, I am currently 20 years old, about to be 21 on October. During my years as teenagers I did a few mistakes in my life. I was arrested for robbery and assault with 7 counts of felonies as a juveniles (Back when I was 17). Yes, I've done drugs such as weed and ecstasy, however, I'm don't take it anymore because I find no interest and "fun" in them. I don't consider myself as a drug abuse person since I don't like taking them, I've been staying clean and away from drugs for about good 3 years almost 4 years. I am going to get my record seal on 2012 of March. I am currently attending city college of San Francisco. I am currently majoring in criminal justice with an additional major of psychology. I've always wanted to be a police officer ever since when I was little, I guess it came from the gene since my father and grandfather were both police officer back when they were at China. I moved to America when I was 6 years old (with my mom only). Reason why my dad didn't come to America was because he was shot during a high speed chase and rammed the car into the cements and got killed on 1994 when I was 4 years old due to that reason I always wanted to become a police officer. However, living in San Francisco where my mom would always be working and working and didn't find the time to spent with me, during my middle school and high school years, I started hanging out with the wrong group of people. Anyways since the incident happened, I've pull myself together to become a better person. I've done a lot of volunteer events for Youth Guidance Center and for a program call Community Youth Center. Where I mainly talk about the mistakes I've done and to prevent the youths to not take the wrong path as I did when I was at their age.

Here are few of my questions that I would like to know personally from your point of views if that's possible.

1. Will this effect me from becoming a police officer?

2. How does a background check work? Can they find my records even when it's going to be seal on 2012?

3. How do I apply to become a police officer? Like what kind of process do I have to go through to get into the Police Academy and be hired as a police officer?

I was thinking about applying to become a SFPD but on the second thought, I've notice there are a lot of SFPD that are crooked. How? Well I'm not quite sure how, but seeing all those news about SFPD is just giving me this feeling that San Francisco isn't the right place for me to serve at. (If I can be a police officer) Here an example - http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...lance-scandal/

But overall, I want to thank you guys for helping the community and serving your life to protect us! And thank you for your time! If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask!

-edit

Here is a funny fact about me, once in a while before I go to class (criminal justice) in the morning I would go to the SFPD academy. About the 10th time i went there a cop pulled me over, he said i was acting suspicious since I'm always there for about a good 15-20 minutes and they recognized my car always parked there so I told them I've always envy cops and I wanted to be one. I wanted to ask them but they just told me to get out of here, I still go back once in a while just to look at it.
    Last edited by Nullz; 03-10-2011, 01:09 AM.

Originally posted by Nullz View Post
    Here is a funny fact about me, once in a while before I go to class (criminal justice) in the morning I would go to the SFPD academy. About the 10th time i went there a cop pulled me over, he said i was acting suspicious since I'm always there for about a good 15-20 minutes and they recognized my car always parked there so I told them I've always envy cops and I wanted to be one. I wanted to ask them but they just told me to get out of here, I still go back once in a while just to look at it.
    lol, stalker. Oh, ecstacy is usually a DQ just FYI. Also, since you have felonies, robbery and assaults from 3 years ago it doesn't look good for you.
    Last edited by Ohio5-0; 03-10-2011, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
      lol, stalker. Oh, ecstacy is usually a DQ just FYI. Also, since you have felonies, robbery and assaults from 3 years ago it doesn't look good for you.
      So any form or conviction doesn't look good for me? even when I was a juvenile?
      Lol yeah I do feel like I'm stalking, it's just yeah, it's something I want to achieve ya'know?

Comment

Originally posted by Nullz View Post
        I was arrested for robbery and assault with 7 counts of felonies as a juveniles (Back when I was 17).
        And you wanted to be a cop since you were little? This type of activity is unacceptable

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
          And you wanted to be a cop since you were little? This type of activity is unacceptable
          Apparently living in a household where you only see your mom in the morning before you go to school and her working for 12 hours. yes. I know I've made mistakes in my life and let my single mom down because of my stupidity cause, at least I'm one of those few who change unlike others who doesn't realize their own mistakes. Yeah, you might look down on me because I was a criminal, but who doesn't make mistakes in their lives? I'm not blaming it was my mom's fault for leaving behind at a young age, but I'm pretty sure a lot of Asian immigrants will know how I would feel. Taking the bus by myself at the age of 6 to get home from school when i live across the city. Seeing these "cool" kids around the streets. Being bullied by African Americans on the bus. Being punked on my African Americans and Whites in school. Mom getting paid 3 bucks an hour and working for 12 hours a day. I'm pretty sure a lot of Asian Immigrants has gone through what I've gone through. And I know it's all my fault. But thanks for your advise Ohio5-0
          Last edited by Nullz; 03-10-2011, 03:12 AM.

Comment

What Ohio5-0 was getting at was that if you wanted to be a cop ever since you were little, yet still did all those things, then you obviously didn't want it that much. Yes, growing up is hard, especially if you're living off of low income with a single parent who works all the time. Having a hard childhood, and then add on the fact that you are, in fact, a minority. Trust me...I know. However that doesn't mean you have to act out when you're a teenager and get into trouble. Especially multiple felony trouble. There are many people out there who are, or have been, in your exact situation. There are many out there who have been in worse. They pulled through it without doing drugs and committing crime though.

On-topic though, and to get back to your questions.

1. It will affect you because of your use of ecstasy. That's typically a no go for any agency. The multiple felonies when you were a juvenile definitely hurt you as well. However, there are a select few departments out there that will still consider you. Don't ask me which ones, I just know from hearsay that they're out there.

2. Yes, they're the police...they have access to everything. Having a record sealed just means that random future employers won't see that on an above the surface background check, and things of that nature. HOWEVER, if nothing carries over into your adulthood of 18+ (parole/probation/etc), California allows you to petition the court and you can have your juvenile record purged completely. That means it's like it never even happened, even the police can't see it on a background check. Don't quote me if that works on felonies because I'm not 100% sure about that. Especially if they're violent felonies. I do know that it works for misdemeanors though.

3. Check out what agencies are hiring in your area (if any) and call up their recruitment officer. Easiest way to find out is by going to their website.
            Press hard, you're making 4 copies.

Comment

I'd hate to give you such bad news but you have some serious charges.... Even if it is sealed you have to tell your BI. They will not like it. You've done some serious drugs and got some seriuos charges. 17-20 is only 3 years.. for MJ its usually 8 years since the last time you touched it "And" it couldnt be regular use. Doesnt look good for you bro. Especially since there are thousands of other applicants who havnt done what you have. But.... good luck to you. You are still very young... let some time pass before you apply.
              Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

Unlike the SFPD academy, I hear you can just show up unannounced and they dont chase you away.

Any felony conviction DQ's you from being a cop. Regardless of whether or not you were a juvenile if Im not mistaken. Nothing is sealed to LE background investigators. There are people standing in line who are locked on, squared away and have all their ducks in a row who cant get jobs. I would be disappointed if an agency passed them over for a guy who's biggest accomplishment is that hes been clean going on 4 years. My link to the Foreign Legion wasnt a joke either.
                Last edited by FlyingPig1; 03-20-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6166 users online. 347 members and 5819 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X