300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Aspiring ICE Agent

Hello! I thought I should probably take a moment to introduce myself before jumping in here on the forums. I've been lurking here for several months, but only recently signed up.

I'm 24 years old, live in Washington state, and as of December 2008 have a BA in English from Western Washington University. I've been working in hospital security for over two years now. People often ask "What do you do for a living?" When faced with this, I jokingly tell them, "I tie drunk people to beds," mostly because it's always a good conversation starter. It's also the truth. One the the largest portions of my job is de-escalating, and if necessary subduing and restraining, unruly psychiatric and behavioral health patients, which includes people who are intoxicated by a variety of different substances. I also help officers from local police departments and the Border Patrol in handling fit-for-jail patients, inmates brought in for medical treatment, and individuals brought in on pick-up orders.

During my time in security, I've served as a part of the hospital Haz-Mat/DECON team in addition to my regular duties. In spring of 2008 I was fortunate enough to participate in the local portion of the National Incident Management System drill as a Haz-Mat First Responder and a Decon First Responder. It was a great experience, and only increased my desire to learn more about emergency response systems and large-scale disaster preparedness.

For a long time now I have known that I would pursue a career in law enforcement, and over the last few years I've come to realize that I want to serve as an agent for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Bureau (ICE). My father has been with Customs and Border Protection (formerly Border Patrol) for 34 years now, and is close to retirement. In some ways I do want to follow in his footsteps, but ultimately I'm motivated by a desire to uphold the laws of our nation and make a difference, however small, in the lives of others.

I'm currently going through the application process to become either an Immigration Enforcement Agent (IEA) or a Criminal Investigator/Special Agent (CI/SA, also referred to as an "1811") with ICE. While I would prefer the CI position, I would be happy to accept a place at the academy as an IEA. I know that I could do well as an IEA, and that it would put me one step closer to becoming a CI in a few years. I know I have a long road ahead of me, and while I am happy in my current line of work, I'm also looking forward to achieving my goals.

It's a pleasure to be here among you all, and an honor. I hope to learn a lot from the sworn officers on this forum, and to some day join your ranks.
    ICE 1811
    Written Test Taken: 07/31/2009
    NOR: 08/10/2009 - Passed 87
    Submitted DOCs: 08/19/2009
    Second NOR: 02/10/2010 - Rated 89.6
    Personal Interview: 08/04/2010
    Structured Interview: ?
    Referral for Selection: ?
    Medical/Background: ?

ICE IEA - Seattle Field Office
    Applied: 5/11/2009
    Written Test Taken: 06/05/2009
    NOR: 06/22/2009 - Passed 98
    TO: 10/08/2009 - Paperwork Submitted 10/19/2009
    Medical/Physical: 11/13/2009
    Drug: 11/05/2009
    Oral: 12/02/2009
    BI: ?

Welcome aboard

Comment

Last edited by BrandonEKU21; 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEKU21 View Post
        What are the qualification requirements to become an Immigration Enforcement Agent?Â* Just curious.
        This is from the USAJOBS website:Qualifications:GS-5:Â* You qualify at the GS-5 level if you possess three years of progressively responsible experience, one year of which was equivalent to GS-4 level or above.Â* The experience must demonstrate that you have the ability to analyze problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; communicate effectively orally and in writing; and deal effectively with others in person-to-person situations.Â* Such experience may have been gained in administrative, professional, technical, investigate, or other responsible work.Â* Experience in substantive and relevant secretarial, clerical, or other responsible work is qualifying if it provided evidence of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position.Â* Experience of a general clerical nature (typing, filing, routine procedural processing, maintaining records, or other non -specialized tasks) is NOT creditable.GS-7:Â* You qualify at the GS-7 level if you possess one year of specialized experience that equipped you with the skills needed to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-5 grade level.Â* Examples include assisting in enforcement functions relating to investigation, identification, apprehension, arrest and prosecution of persons found in violation of federal, state, or local laws and regulations.EDUCATIONAL SUBSTITUTIONS:GS-5:Â* You may substitute successful completion of a Bachelor's degree or a full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a Bachelor's degree for the experience required at the GS-5 grade level.Â* This education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university.Â* One year of full-time undergraduate study is defined as 30 semester or 45 quarter hours.GS-7:Â* You may substitute superior academic achievement for the experience required at the GS-7 level.Â* You must have completed the requirements for a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, class standing in the upper third of a graduating class or major subdivision, or membership in a national scholastic honor society.Â* You may also substitute successful completion of one year of full-time graduate education for the experience required at the GS-7 level.Â* This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position.Â* Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise a year of graduate education.Â* If the information is not available, use 18 semester or 27 quarter hours.COMBINING EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:Appropriate combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience also may be used to meet the total qualification requirements for GS-5 and 7 grade levels.Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*
        sigpicTwo is one,
        one is none.

Comment

Last edited by BrandonEKU21; 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Welcome to officer.com, good luck!
            "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Welcome aboard! I am also an (ICE/IEA) applicant! Trying to patiently wait during the hiring process. Yet being satisfied with my current job, (working at a immigration detention facility) for eight years, gaining knowledge and experience, allowing me to become familiar with the duties of an IEA agent. I feel its time to move on, and looking foward to acheiving my goals!!
              Best of luck LB !!!!
              "To accomplish great things , we must no only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."

Comment

Hey LB good luck to you bro! I took the same ICE 1811 test as you and submitted the fax to that number with the docs. I hope we hear back from them soon, PM me if you find out anything about the process starting up man.
                Liberalism is a mental disorder!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5252 users online. 291 members and 4961 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X