Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forums

Hey All,

I'm currently Active Duty in the Army as a Military Police Officer. I'm getting Honorably Discharged out of the Army this month, and I am planning on self sponsoring my way through the Fullerton Police Academy in Orange County, California in Class #38 starting January 16th, 2010.

I'm 19 years old (yes I know, I'm probably very young compared to most people on here), and I have experience in the Military, and I volunteered with a Sheriffs Department for 3 years as an Explorer and I was a Police Cadet before the Army for a little over 1 year. I almost have an AA degree in Criminal Justice.

I'm getting out of the Army and I need a job, and I want to finally become a Sworn Officer in California. Jobs are pretty hard to get right now anywhere, especially in California as a Law Enforcement Officer. I do understand I'm on the younger side, however there are some agencies here in Southern California that will hire Officers/Deputies at 18 or 19+.

My plan right now is to go through the Fullerton Police Academy which is an Extended format of 10 months long. So by the time I start the Academy, and then graduate in 10 months, I'll be over 20 1/2 which is what most departments require to apply for a sworn position. I'm also planning on finishing up my degree while I'm going through the Extended Academy, so I should be able to put my Explorer, Cadet, and Military Police experience, Academy Certificate and my AA degree on my resume, which I think will look pretty good.

Wow this is long, so I'm looking forward to using the forums!
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

I thought you had to serve four years in the service before you can be discharged? And most departments on the west coast, don't know about CA, but I know here in AZ (POST Regulations), you can't be sworn until your 21, and you that includes the date of academy graduation....
    Last edited by az4code23; 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM.
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Originally posted by az4code23 View Post
      I thought you had to serve four years in the service before you can be discharged? And most departments on the west coast, don't know about CA, but I know here in AZ (POST Regulations), you can't be sworn until your 21, and you that includes the date of academy graduation....
      The Army you can sign a contract ranging from 2-6 years, depending on your contract. I'm not ETSing (Expiration Term of Service), I'm getting discharged for a different reason.

As far as departments go with the age, California minimum age is 18 for Sworn Officer. Many departments won't hire until 21, however there are a handful that will. from the California P.O.S.T. website:

The minimum peace officer selection standards are set forth in Government Code Sections 1029 and 1031. Every California peace officer must be:

free of any felony convictions;
      a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship (CHP officers must be US citizens at time of appointment);
      at least 18 years of age;
      fingerprinted for purposes of search of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record;
      of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation;
      a high school graduate, pass the General Education Development test or have attained a two-year, four-year, or advanced degree from an accredited or approved institution, and
      found to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer.

(Found on: http://www.post.ca.gov/Hiring/Peace_..._Standards.asp)

There are a number of departments willing to hiring recruits under the age of 21 for full time positions, along with many Departments throughout San Diego County, Orange County and Los Angeles County who are willing to hire Level III Reserve Officers at the age of 18, and some who will hire Level II and Level I reserves at under 21. Also, by the time I graduate the extended academy, I'll be old enough to apply at any department, whether they hire at 18 or 21.

So you're pretty much correct with the age of 21, but I'm just saying that it is possible to get hired under 21, not very likely, but still possible, I've see it happen with a few of my friends- all with a County Sheriffs Department requiring them to serve a certain time, usually 2 years in the jail before allowed to go on patrol; so that might have something to do with it. But like I said by the time I graduate the academy in a year and get hired on I'll be over 21. =)
      Last edited by OCEnforcer29; 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM.
      CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the clarification! Welcome to officer.com!

Comment

I can back his statement about enlistments in the Army. Army can actually do a "try a year" contract if they qualify as well. It's a one year commitment to active duty, with three years following that in the NG or Reserve.

Oh, yeah. I also received an honorable discharge prior to my official ETS so I could accept a job. It's doable with a waiver.
          Last edited by RDEP; 10-02-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add last part.
          Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

Yea, I wasn't real sure. However, I am glad he clarified that. It gave me the opportunity to learn something new. Appreciated!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4767 users online. 282 members and 4485 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X