Clear All

• From the A...talkin about Alabama

Don't really know how much info to type here...so here are the bare bones

MSCJ student at UAB
    Just took the Probation Parole officer test
    Plan to go "Fed" after I get my PhD

Is that enough? I hate talking about myself

Welcome to officer.com!
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Welcome

Welcome from Alabama, if you're an LSU fan MOVE!!!!!!!!! J/K

If you are talking about Federal Parole & Probation Officer I suggest talking to one first. That will be the person that looks burned out and overaged for a reason.

It is not the best out there. You have US District Court Judges for bosses and A LOT of paperwork with little enforcement. Talk to one before bothering with a 2 year process.

With what seems close to a PHD, why not FBI, ATF, Marshal's CBP, rated by an ex Fed in that order. A friend left US Postal SA position for that and is ready to go back, yeah.

Every State Probation/Parole Agents I've met have been very professional in Alabama.

Good luck and welcome.

Comment

Hope everything works out for you with Probation & Parole . I interned with U.S. Pretrial Services (Western Dist. of Texas) in San Antonio for six months about a year ago and loved it. I'm only working Parole so I can have enough experience to move on up to Pretrial or Probation. Best of luck to you, Shaolin.

Comment

Welcome Shaolin Giraffe.

Have you had the chance to research the probation officer career field? I would highly recommend it. You may be in for a surprise.

A former classmate of mine (from elementary school) took that route and became a county probation officer. When I was doing research for my criminal justice degree, I bumped into him. He looked physically drained and didn't smile much. The amount of files assigned to him was staggering. And when he told my how much he was paid, I was shocked. Now this was back in the 1980's so the pay is not the same as today. But check it out before you choose that career path.

Probation officers have a necessary and important function within the criminal justice system. But I suspect some, if not many, are being taken advantage of by being overworked and underpaid. As long as you know what you are getting into and are willing to accept that, then go for it.
          Last edited by BAinCJ; 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM. Reason: corrections
          Living it one day at a time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6564 users online. 361 members and 6203 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X