300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, civilian, future recruit hopeful from Northern California

Hi everyone, I figured I would come in here and introduce myself since I plan on staying here for quite a while if things go well; and even if they don't go well, I guess. I am a future recruit hopeful who has not started the application process yet since I am still 20 years old. I plan on applying when I graduate from my 4-year college, so I guess I am one of your "21/22 year old applicant" breed, which the officer in charge of P&T for my city's PD tells me is a breed that is fading away slowly, as most officers that apply now are much older.

I just got home from a recruiting seminar this morning and I will admit that I am a bit nervous (OK, maybe fairly nervous...) but the seminar left me with only a more motivated and driven desire to be hired as a police officer for the town I grew up in. It was a little intimidating since there were around 60 candidates present, most of them much older/experienced and many already in the application process, and probably 40 more who were not there; for only ~5 open spots. I guess I have my work cut out for me.

So I will be floating around here, picking up what knowledge I can to try and further prepare myself for when I really do fill out that application packet.

-Mario

Welcome and Good Luck!
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Hi Mario and welcome.

It is true in many cities applicants are a bit older when applying. I think its good to have a diverse department with older guys and newer guys as recruits. It gives a good balance to a group. In my class we had a guy that was probably almost 40, married with children and was looking for a stable career with advancement and to fufill his dream. Let me tell you he was such a great guy and he offered a lot of "wisdom" to some of us younger bucks at the time.
      Its good that you attended the seminar to have a realistic view of what things are like. Don't be discouraged! You now know what you have to do or not do to be a competitive applicant where you want to apply!

Best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe View Post
        Welcome and Good Luck!
        Thanks, I will probably need a bit of it. What part of the Bay Area are you from? I'm in Palo Alto but attend UCSC, so I'm back and forth during the academic year.

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
        Hi Mario and welcome.

It is true in many cities applicants are a bit older when applying. I think its good to have a diverse department with older guys and newer guys as recruits. It gives a good balance to a group. In my class we had a guy that was probably almost 40, married with children and was looking for a stable career with advancement and to fufill his dream. Let me tell you he was such a great guy and he offered a lot of "wisdom" to some of us younger bucks at the time.
        Its good that you attended the seminar to have a realistic view of what things are like. Don't be discouraged! You now know what you have to do or not do to be a competitive applicant where you want to apply!

Best wishes!
        Yeah, I agree that much more can be brought to the table when the group is fairly diverse. I am always interested in hearing advice/wisdom from those that are older and have more life experience. I don't know if it will help me or hurt me that I will probably be one of the youngest (if not the youngest) applicants when I graduate college and apply to be a recruit. I would like to think it might benefit me slightly since I am also pretty much homegrown and a product of the city I would be applying to (which is why I care for this city and love it so much), but who knows...

I do feel more prepared now that I have a more realistic view of the process and relative hiring percentage. There were many well-qualified and experienced candidates present this morning, but I feel I bring a lot to the table myself in terms of knowing the city and its people, and various other skill sets. We shall see! It would be an absolute honor and privilege if I were to be hired.

Comment

Having knowledge of a city that you are applying should be a plus. They want people that are going to be invested in their workplace because they live there too.
          Maybe try to talk to other officers in that city and maybe try to find out what else they look for? Community service, Special skills, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioS View Post
            Thanks, I will probably need a bit of it. What part of the Bay Area are you from? I'm in Palo Alto but attend UCSC, so I'm back and forth during the academic year.

I live in the Alameda County Area.
            "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
            Not Yet Visited: 16
            Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5483 users online. 317 members and 5166 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X