Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy! New here and kind of a long read.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy! New here and kind of a long read.

Howdy all! I am new here and of course hoping one day to pursue a career in Law Enforcement. I am currently going to school at Boise State University pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice. I am in my third year and so far have a pretty decent overall GPA. The entire criminal justice system has always intrigued me and have always wanted to pursue a career in the field, regardles of what it was. However, a few years ago I had the opportunity to go on a ride along with my neighboors son who happened to be an Idaho State Police trooper (he had a dodge charger, and yes it was very exhilirating). From then on I knew that being a police officer is what I ultimately wanted to do. I was 19 at the time and figured if I could finish out my degree I would ultimately have a better chance of being hired. Since then I have been on ride alongs with the city police, the county police, and a couple other local police departments. So far the state and the county police rides have proven to be the most interesting. I am constantly filling out new ride along applications as there is no limit as to how mant times you can go and I absolutely love them.

Anyways, a few questions that might be better answered in the "ask a cop" section. Is it a better idea to stick out the last 2 years and finish my degree or will I have just a good of chance as getting hired if I put my education on hold for a bit? There is one drawback however. This summer, being the moron I was being I was sitting in a park (I had been drinking a bit with some friends) and my car was parked in the parking lot and somehow the cops were notified and came and arrested me. Let me put this fact out there, I was not driving at all but was still arrested for a DUI. I know many agencies will not hire ANYONE who has been convicted of a DUI within the last 3 years of date of hire. This is essentialy the only blackmark I have. Awesome credit score, never fired, good work history, good grades, good with people, no drug use or charges ( maybe smoked one puff of marijauna a few years back) and in excellent physical shape. I guess my question is two parts. Should I wait out and finish the degree and wait till the three years runs out (I have not been convicted of it yet and have hired a good lawyer) or if it gets dropped should i wait anyways and work on building other good
    qualities as a LEO? I am only 20 years old so its not like my prime years are running out but I would love to pursure this career as soon as possible. Thanks alot for any help and I know its a long read. Awesome to be a member on here!!

Cheers!- Elliot

Welcome! I am Boise State Alum. B.A Social Science 2002.

Not sure if you have to take any classes in Psych or Sociology....Criminology with Dr. Patrick was fun!

Go Broncos...
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

thanks! no I have not taken any psych or soc classes but will be next semester. Right now I am taking all my uper level CJ classes so I will be left with all of the lower level core classes for my senior year...im an idiot...oh well as long as I get the degree.

Comment

Welcome to the o.com neverending circus! I was a trooper stationed in Ely, Nevada when BSU was playing in the bowl game in Tempe. I "met" quite a few of your citizens in a hurry to get down there! I also cited Orlando Scandrick the summer (July) of the year you guys made it to the bowl.

Good luck and welcome again.
        Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

HA! thats funny. Ya, im pretty excited for their football program this year. Should be able to do some good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Esalmon21 View Post
            thanks! no I have not taken any psych or soc classes but will be next semester. Right now I am taking all my uper level CJ classes so I will be left with all of the lower level core classes for my senior year...im an idiot...oh well as long as I get the degree.

Well thats not so bad..getting the upper level tough stuff out of the way. I took most of my theory and research classes and did my internship my last semester thinking it would be great because those classes dont have tests or even meet in some cases...ugh..I was wrong.

Silly me...I had to write many Senior level papers and do soooo much research. I was 7 months pregnant when I graduated......it was tough some days , but I had great support from my profs. Dr. Baker is also a great teacher.

Dont forget to bleed orange at the games ... especially home games.(.goes great with the blue field ).
            "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Welcome Esal,

I might have missed it but did you get convicted of the DUI or is it still pending?

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! Uhhh, well its still pendin but it will most likely get dropped because I hadnt even been driving, the police never saw the car moving, I was sitting almost a mile away from my car, and the police have zero video and audio evidence so the cards are stacked in my favor. I just really hope all of this mess doesnt ruin my future chances for LE. Its essentially the only black mark I have. Plus, im only 20 so its not like my years are running out.

Cheers-Elliot

Comment

I can't see why they would arrest for driving under the influence when as you say the car is a mile away. Even so you must have blown drunk so public intoxication might have been a valid charge. What ever action you are your friends were doing that cause the public to call the POPO was the root of your problems, don't act like that in the future. I can't see how enough lawyer money can't make this go away. I predict some community service and your bond money donated to the DARE program.

Comment

I can't see why they would arrest for driving under the influence when as you say the car is a mile away. Even so you must have blown drunk so public intoxication might have been a valid charge. What ever action you ard your friends were doing that cause the public to call the POPO was the root of your problems, don't act like that in the future. I can't see how enough lawyer money can't make this go away. I predict some community service and your bond money donated to the DARE program. The few friends I have had asking dept.s what they should goto college for to become a police officer, they say anything but criminal justice.

Comment

In some cases I have heard of people getting charged with DUI because they had CONTROL of the vehicle. Even though it wasn't in motion there was an operator behind the wheel with keys and what ever the circumstances are. I have heard it happen before.
                      However I don't know too many convictions come from it. It should be a charge you might be able to plea or MAYBE beat at trial. However that all depends. Also most programs keep the offense on your record for at least a year, sometimes two.

The most important thing to do is learn from your mistakes. It also makes the decision easier for you at this point as well. If you have this DUI hanging over your head then you most likely can't continue in a career path in Law Enforcement AT THIS TIME.
                      Work on your education and then hopefully things will work out for you for the best.
                      I know some guys that came on the job before they were 21 and it was VERY DIFFICULT for some of them. Maybe its a sign to give it a little time.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!!! Really appreciated. Ya, I am really dissapointed in myself for doing something so stupid and especially in public!! My Lawyer said it will most likely get dropped to public intoxication or just completely dropped altogether. Oh well, I guess all I can do is learn from it and never let it happen again. Really gave me a bigger prospective on how some stupid acts can really effect our future plans. Hopefully within a few years when I look to apply with an agency this wont seriosuly affect my chances. Thanks again guys!

Cheers-Elliot Salmon

Comment

In answer to your question, yes, it would be best at your age to stay the education course and finish the degree. It is exceedingly difficult to finish if you launch a career and try to complete your degree simultaneously.

As for the charge, hopefully it will be dismissed or reduced to P.I. and you may have to wait the three years you mentioned. Your post indicates at any rate that you were under the age of 21, legal drinking age. If your not convicted or the charge is dropped you might consider the additional expense of attempting to have it expunged from your record.

Take it as an expensive learning experience and avoid placing yourself in a position of being charged w/ offenses of assault nature or moral turpitude as these will usually get a disqualification from most agencies I know of.

Good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3048 users online. 139 members and 2909 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X