300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy in NC!

I thought I'd post an intro here before asking any questions so you guys know a bit about me. My name is Shawn I'm 21 years old, orignally from Southern California but now live just south of Charlotte, NC. I have always worked on vehicles since highschool until now doing anything from mechanic work to mostly paint and body work. I am into custom motorcycles, hot rods, customs, old trucks,(and have too many of these), and playing drums and guitar, etc. I joined here to get some more information on joining CMPD because I felt this was a great place with smart people to get accurate information. I have always wanted to either do the military (Army), law enforcement or something in the automotive industry (own my own shop). I am getting tired of working for someone else doing paint and body work and to tell you the truth it's not good on your body at all no matter what kind of filter mask you wear or gloves you put on. I am thinking it's time to try another career before jumping into something and not exploring anything else. I figured I can always work on cars when I am old but cannot join the military or police department.
    Right now I am starting my own mobile detailing company but also looking into the PD. I have quite a few friends that work for CMPD and local Sherrifs Dept. I am with a volunteer fire department and enjoy doing it because it's something different every day or every call. Of course I have a lot of people telling me no to join a police department because I wont like it, dont get paid anything, wont have a nice house because of low pay, wont be able to have time to work on my hot rods or even do detailing or painting on the side as a side job. I am wanting to get my own oppinion on things instead of taking in what they say and not even look into becomming a police officer.
    Anyways, sorry for such a long post and I look forward to talking to some of you locally or on the forums. If you have any questions for me then please feel free to ask.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Shawn F.; 08-28-2008, 12:50 AM.

Welcome in! Go for your dreams and don't listen to your friends' discouraging opinions.
    Time flies...it's up to you to be the navigator.

Comment

Thanks! I try to listen to everyone's oppinion and take them all into consideration but it's the ones who say not to do it and have never even been in law enforcement that make me mad. They say not to do something that them themselves have never even done or tried and tell you not to do it just because they say so.

Comment

Welcome to NC Shawn, anything I can do to help, let me know.
        "Silence! I Kill You!"

Comment

Thanks a lot. I am going for my second ride along in Charlotte in about two weeks from Friday. I am getting all the info to join when I get there and we will see where I go from there.

Comment

Low pay in LEO ,who said that thay are crazy lol! Really though ,yes the pay is not the highest but you do have off days and you can run your mobile detail thing then. Remember if you love the job you can do the other job to supplement it.

Comment

Yes that is what I try explaining to them. We'll see what happens. I am going to get all the information I need, get my questions answered and go from there. You guys here have been helping me out a lot and I appreciate it.

Comment

Wish you the best, buddy!
                Time flies...it's up to you to be the navigator.

Comment

Go for it man. I work just North of Charlotte and can't imagine doing anything else. Let me know if you need anything too, or if you want to look at any of the PD's in the north end near the lake.

Comment

Hey Shawn... I'm new to this website, disability retirement after 26 years on Muscatine Iowa PD. Is money everything? Or would you rather work in a job that you might eventually hate. I took less money to begin with, but wages are not bad in most law enforcement agencies. I could have made more working in a factory for awhile or getting into some other labor type thing. I was also a welder and tool and die maker. But I was drafted into the Army in 1962, then put into the military police for my two year period. Loved it. And for 26 years, most of the time, I liked law enforcement in Muscatine. I do think I was getting burned out when they retired me, I was only 50 then, but I had a lot of neat experiences, met a lot of nice people and even some that were not so nice (Some even became friends!). But anyway, want to be in law enforcement, go for it! My wife was on garbage trucks, more people are hurt on those things than police officers, so why not go for it! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Muldoon1313 View Post
                      Hey Shawn... I'm new to this website, disability retirement after 26 years on Muscatine Iowa PD. Is money everything? Or would you rather work in a job that you might eventually hate. I took less money to begin with, but wages are not bad in most law enforcement agencies. I could have made more working in a factory for awhile or getting into some other labor type thing. I was also a welder and tool and die maker. But I was drafted into the Army in 1962, then put into the military police for my two year period. Loved it. And for 26 years, most of the time, I liked law enforcement in Muscatine. I do think I was getting burned out when they retired me, I was only 50 then, but I had a lot of neat experiences, met a lot of nice people and even some that were not so nice (Some even became friends!). But anyway, want to be in law enforcement, go for it! My wife was on garbage trucks, more people are hurt on those things than police officers, so why not go for it! God Bless!
                      You have to want to do the job ,if it's money you need this is the wrong line of work. You agree Muldoon?

Comment

That's my point. Everyone says not to do it because of the money. That is why I get mad when everyone tells me that. Even all the local cops I have been asking questions too here say not to do it because you wont get paid. I'd rather do this and like it than something I hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn F. View Post
                          That's my point. Everyone says not to do it because of the money. That is why I get mad when everyone tells me that. Even all the local cops I have been asking questions too here say not to do it because you wont get paid. I'd rather do this and like it than something I hate.
                          The money being paid out now is not as much as it should be ,most of the time less than you can make as an upholsterer in a furniture factory. What you have to look at is your health insurance is paid ,life insurance ,take home car (some pd's) ,401k/retirement etc ,and unlike many jobs you will always have a job. No layoffs or shipping the business across seas (or the border).
                          The LEO's telling you what you spoke of sounds more like they are unhappy where they are ,especially if they are CMPD or MCSD they both pay pretty competitive from what I gather.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3741 users online. 234 members and 3507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X