300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no "Rep Power"?

I've noticed that in most other forums, you can receive positive or negative reputation points for individual posts. Why not here? I think it's a good measurement of "hierarchy," if you will. 1042Trooper has more posts than most users on this forum. He would obviously carry heavy rep power because his posts are extremely helpful. However, if someone has just as many posts as 42Trooper but is a "problem poster", I think that that should somehow be reflected. I'm assuming it's possible since I believe that this is a vBulletin provided forum, and I've seen it before on vBulletin forums. What is O.com's stance on this?
    "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Originally posted by pf217 View Post
    I've noticed that in most other forums, you can receive positive or negative reputation points for individual posts. Why not here? I think it's a good measurement of "hierarchy," if you will. 1042Trooper has more posts than most users on this forum. He would obviously carry heavy rep power because his posts are extremely helpful. However, if someone has just as many posts as 42Trooper but is a "problem poster", I think that that should somehow be reflected. I'm assuming it's possible since I believe that this is a vBulletin provided forum, and I've seen it before on vBulletin forums. What is O.com's stance on this?

They had them but O.com got rid of them. Because they were more trouble having them then not having them.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe View Post
      They had them but O.com got rid of them. Because they were more trouble having them then not having them.
      Now THAT does not surprise me in the least. I used to moderate and belong to another website that also used the VBulletin software. That site used a few different things than here (and no I WON'T go into what they were) as well as the "rep power".

It got to the point that "rep" became a popularity contest and turned people who were supposed to be adults into children. A few times mods had go so far as to actually suspend the whole rep thing for a week until everyone chilled out. The jerk that owned the site didn't help much by instead of telling everyone to grow up actually began egging on certain forum members. Finally I got to the point where I hated going there and quit posting unless I had to as a mo. Eventually it disgusted me so much that I turned in my moderator badge, told the owner what I thought of him and his and forum, and signed off for good. There are enough trolls here that delight in getting people all fired up that in my opinions O.com doesn't need that type of system.
      R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
      I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
        Now THAT does not surprise me in the least. I used to moderate and belong to another website that also used the VBulletin software. That site used a few different things than here (and no I WON'T go into what they were) as well as the "rep power".

It got to the point that "rep" became a popularity contest and turned people who were supposed to be adults into children. A few times mods had go so far as to actually suspend the whole rep thing for a week until everyone chilled out. The jerk that owned the site didn't help much by instead of telling everyone to grow up actually began egging on certain forum members. Finally I got to the point where I hated going there and quit posting unless I had to as a mo. Eventually it disgusted me so much that I turned in my moderator badge, told the owner what I thought of him and his and forum, and signed off for good. There are enough trolls here that delight in getting people all fired up that in my opinions O.com doesn't need that type of system.

Yep,that is how it was here. That is all I am going to say.
        Last edited by BaseballBabe; 06-12-2007, 08:35 PM.
        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
        Not Yet Visited: 16
        Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

I think you all have answered this question much better than I could.
          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6341 users online. 340 members and 6001 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X