X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior mistakes!!!

Hello everyone!!

I’ve got a few questions...

so quick background. I recently just got out of the US Marine Corps this past year with An honorable discharge, and a good service record (no njps or negative paperwork to speak of). While I was still in the marine corps (2018) I had applied to lapd so I could get on with the Department once I finished my time in active duty. HOWEVER while filling out my PHS I admitted to 2 separate incidents where a stripper gave me a hand job during a lap dance(yes I know it’s dumb, go ahead and roast me) one was in 2017 on was In 2018. Lapd sent me a letter saying “you are not selected AT THIS TIME, we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to re apply on or after (said date). Now since then I also applied it San Diego Pd and Phoenix Pd. For both agencies I was not selected and given a time frame of 1 year to re apply. Now the re application date for lapd is approaching and I am still very much Interested in pursing a career as an Leo. Other than the 2 mentioned incidents and some underage drinking while in the USMC I have nothing else illegal. No drug usage ever in my life, no credit issues not even a single traffic ticket. But I am wondering if people with incidents like this that re apply even have a shot at getting hired or are they usually blacklisted for good. I’m specially curious about SoCal/ Arizona or Nevada agencies since that is where I would Prefer to work.
    thanks!!
    + More Options

Not an obvious disqualifier, but certainly evidence of youthful indiscretions and questionable judgement. Beyond the written exam, physical, and other "pass/fail" stages of the hiring process you will be constantly compared against all other applicants in the hiring pool, and those with the fewest obvious warts or faults are likely to be selected first. Your background is your background, there is no way to change it now so all you can do is take responsibility for your history and stand up like a Marine.

No one expects an applicant to be perfect. What is required is honesty and integrity, and there is no room for excuses or rationalizations. Simply by standing up and telling the truth with no embellishment you will place yourself in the upper half of the applicant pool.

Comment

retired1995 thanks for the reply!!

all makes perfect sense. I understand that candidates with the least discrepancies in their past will definetly be preferred, which makes perfect sense to me. And I would never intentionally withhold information from an agency. The way I see it is if an agency is looking at me they gotta know the whole me, both good and bad to make a good decision.

I plan on working towards getting an EMT cert and working an ambulance crew for a bit to gain some work experience other than military and also allow for some time between the incidents and my next application. Not gonna give up though!

Comment

What strip club was this at? Asking for a friend, of course.

Comment

Can’t remember honestly

Comment

Originally posted by banative916 View Post
            retired1995 thanks for the reply!!

all makes perfect sense. I understand that candidates with the least discrepancies in their past will definetly be preferred, which makes perfect sense to me. And I would never intentionally withhold information from an agency. The way I see it is if an agency is looking at me they gotta know the whole me, both good and bad to make a good decision.

I plan on working towards getting an EMT cert and working an ambulance crew for a bit to gain some work experience other than military and also allow for some time between the incidents and my next application. Not gonna give up though!
            Another suggestion I offer to potential applicants is to acquire a second language, preferably one that is in common use in your area. Here in southern Colorado that would be Spanish. An old friend was quickly hired in Houston because of a large Brazilian community, and she is fluent in Brazilian Portuguese. I would expect some of the northern border states might like to have officers capable of communicating in Quebecoise (Canadian French).

I have another old friend who is a native Mexican fluent in Spanish, both spoken and written, and he has a sweet retirement gig as a courtroom translator (I think $40 per hour or so, contract work as needed).

Many community colleges and state universities have language departments, some offering "full immersion" courses in various languages that can produce reasonable fluency in a matter of a few weeks.

Language proficiency is very high on the list for many agencies.

Comment

Good advice! I’ll definetly look into language schools specifically for Spanish since geographically that would be most practical.

Comment

Originally posted by banative916 View Post
                Good advice! I’ll definetly look into language schools specifically for Spanish since geographically that would be most practical.
                Studying English would also "definetly" be a good idea...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7021 users online. 364 members and 6657 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X