Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lines Below Member Names

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lines Below Member Names

    I apologize if this is covered somewhere else. I have been wondering this for a long time, but what do the orange (or grey) lines below members names, on the left of our posts, mean? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    Hover over the lines and it tells you their "reputation" here. I think.
    Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
    http://www.policebackground.net

    Comment


    • #3
      Oooh. Thank you!

      Comment


      • #4
        Who determines who gets the full orange bar and how many posts does it take? I mean no disrespect Jami86e but you only have 80 posts and already you have "a reputation beyond repute." The criteria for such an important designation seems a bit thin here, in my honest opinion...
        Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

        -Bono

        Comment


        • #5
          I’ve had a similar forum for years and the criteria for mine is set in the admin panel. You can set it for any number of posts you want and then attach a title, etc. That’s just a guess.
          Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
          http://www.policebackground.net

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            Who determines who gets the full orange bar and how many posts does it take? I mean no disrespect Jami86e but you only have 80 posts and already you have "a reputation beyond repute." The criteria for such an important designation seems a bit thin here, in my honest opinion...
            Since the administration of this page is virtually absent. ........................Probably the admin screen has defaults and they were left at 'factory settings"

            Much like the "Senior Veteran" below my screen name is whatever the settings show..........I have never edited it like can be done
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

            Comment


            • #7
              The "reputation" (indicated by the colored bar) is not based on number of posts, but "likes" reveived by other members. "Likes" from members who have a high reputation themselves count more than "likes" from someone who hasn't received many "likes" before (i.e. people who don't post much or only post crap or mundane stuff). For example, if Iowa "liked" the first post of a newbie here, they'd automatically receive the full orange bar and a designation of "reutation beyond repute" (which is ridiculous based on just one post). On the other hand, if someone with zero or minimal reputation were to "like" that same first post it would have no or less impact (i.e. the bar would remain blank or only turn orange by a block or two). The whole system is silly and childish if you ask me, but this is how it's set up.

              Comment


              • LA_Backgrounds
                LA_Backgrounds commented
                Editing a comment
                I liked your post because Wikipedia has nothing on you. Well done!

            • #8
              Can someone lose their reputation beyond repute? What if I went off the rails and started posting a bunch of falsehoods and nonsense, like you can always trust management to do the right thing, or HR will always have your back, or you never have to question the motives of people you work with.... is there someone in Admin who would reevaluate whether I met the criteria for the full bar if I started spewing such drivel?

              And is there any vetting by admin AT ALL to determine the legitimacy of users? Or could this forum be a bunch of posers- people claiming to be something they're not, and thanks to the information superhighway, someone with a modicum of research skills can present themselves as subject matter experts or posit informed opinions after nothing more than a google search...

              I've been here for five years now... 931 posts comprised of thousands of words typed by my fingers which conveyed thoughts and opinions, solicited and unsolicited advice, old war stories and foggy memories, random gripes, dumb jokes, and the occasional insult. All of which conveyed I had certain background and spoke about real situations, real experiences, and real life. But- who knows- this is the internet and I could just be another....


              Related image


              Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

              -Bono

              Comment


              • Jami86e
                Jami86e commented
                Editing a comment
                We have someone in one of the local groups that has close to 250 posts and zero orange bars. They leave nasty comments about local police departments and sometimes their posts get removed. So I’m guessing your reputation can go down if your posts get repeatedly flagged and or removed.

            • #9
              Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              Can someone lose their reputation beyond repute? What if I went off the rails and started posting a bunch of falsehoods and nonsense, like you can always trust management to do the right thing, or HR will always have your back, or you never have to question the motives of people you work with.... is there someone in Admin who would reevaluate whether I met the criteria for the full bar if I started spewing such drivel?

              And is there any vetting by admin AT ALL to determine the legitimacy of users? Or could this forum be a bunch of posers- people claiming to be something they're not, and thanks to the information superhighway, someone with a modicum of research skills can present themselves as subject matter experts or posit informed opinions after nothing more than a google search...

              I've been here for five years now... 931 posts comprised of thousands of words typed by my fingers which conveyed thoughts and opinions, solicited and unsolicited advice, old war stories and foggy memories, random gripes, dumb jokes, and the occasional insult. All of which conveyed I had certain background and spoke about real situations, real experiences, and real life. But- who knows- this is the internet and I could just be another....


              Related image

              NO, there is absolutely NO VETTING

              That is an ownership decision that has been talked to death.........they owners have refused to do so.
              Yes we ALL could be posers..................you included

              Yea, you can get banned and loose all your reputations.......................

              Once again don't ask me how I know
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-03-2019, 10:40 AM.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #10
                Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                And is there any vetting by admin AT ALL to determine the legitimacy of users? Or could this forum be a bunch of posers- people claiming to be something they're not, and thanks to the information superhighway, someone with a modicum of research skills can present themselves as subject matter experts or posit informed opinions after nothing more than a google search...

                When, back in the day, I learned that this forum has no vetting system I was really surprised. Back home there's a LEO-dedicated forum, created and run by cops on a very cheap hosting, which almost entirely paid off with ads (LE-related). Admin has a really good internal verification system using 'buddy network' so all LEOs (who want it) are vetted.

                OTOH I bet it's not hard to reveal a poser even without a vetting system lol

                Comment


                • #11
                  Originally posted by Hagen View Post

                  When, back in the day, I learned that this forum has no vetting system I was really surprised. Back home there's a LEO-dedicated forum, created and run by cops on a very cheap hosting, which almost entirely paid off with ads (LE-related). Admin has a really good internal verification system using 'buddy network' so all LEOs (who want it) are vetted.

                  OTOH I bet it's not hard to reveal a poser even without a vetting system lol
                  There are (or were) several vetted boards ............they don't have much activity anymore. At least one that I was a verified member of has closed
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 5016 users online. 205 members and 4811 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X