300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language filter adjustment?

What's with the filter all of a sudden " *** "-ing out the three letters a, s, s anytime they come consecutively, even in the interior of a word? Makes sense if it stands alone, but not as part of the word. It's a pretty common occurrence in English.

Now we have to say a car "goes past" another, instead of "p***es" it?
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

May be its misconfigured? instead of banning "a-s-s" it bans "*a-s-s*" (without dashes) *shrugs*

Comment

Yes I just noticed it. Look at my signature line!?!?! This definately sucks ***
      Originally posted by Smurfette_76
      You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
      "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Yeah. words like:
        p***port, p***, gr***, m***, b***, l***ie, s***, t***le, ***ure, ***ess, ***essment, etc all get filtered.

It's a little excessive.

Comment

This is one of those shakeout issues with the new forum software. It's been fixed now. However, you can expect the bar to be set higher on the use of profanity in the forums. If you wouldn't say it in church, don't say it here. The use of @, $, ! and so on to get stuff past the filters will be regarded as the same as using the prohibited word.
          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
            ... The use of @, $, ! and so on to get stuff past the filters will be regarded as the same as using the prohibited word.
            Mental note to self made, thanks for the head's up!

EDJ
            "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Could we get su****ion fixed please?
              Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
              I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
              Originally posted by weinerdog2000
              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Anyone notice the home page,today?? It has whispers Fart
                Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                  Anyone notice the home page,today?? It has whispers Fart
                  What appears elsewhere on the site isn't affected by the profanity filters. But I still wasn't kidding about cracking down on the use of profanity.
                  Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

uhhh Tim,notice the smileys,it was tongue in cheek humor.I agree (to an extent) on the language,sometimes though it is somewhat necessary ,as in quotes etc,that the asterik thing be used,in order for the point to get accross.
                    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

The language filter makes no sense to me, if your going to have a filter block out certain words why delete/edit posts with the "*"? So beyond swearing it's offensive for people to see a series of "*"'s?

If your going to edit posts that contain "*"'s why not just make the filter not allow the post instead of leaving "*"s?

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart45 View Post
                        The language filter makes no sense to me, if your going to have a filter block out certain words why delete/edit posts with the "*"? So beyond swearing it's offensive for people to see a series of "*"'s?

If your going to edit posts that contain "*"'s why not just make the filter not allow the post instead of leaving "*"s?
                        There are two objectives here. One is to keep profanity from being posted in the forum. The filters screen for specific character strings. For instance, I messed up by including a four-letter word that is an ethnic slur towards Hispanics. Unfortunately, that four-letter string occurs in legitimate words, like conspicuous and suspicious. I had to take that one out.

The filter isn't set up to delete an entire post that contains a word in the list.

The other objective is to raise the professional level in the forum. I take the perspective that if you can't express yourself without profanity, you need to expand your vocabulary. I disagree with mavriktu about curse words being necessary to get a point across. If you're quoting someone, I think {expletive} gets the point across just fine. The context usually makes it pretty clear what the word was.

My experience is that people like to include profanity for shock value, especially in an environment where it is not expected or condoned. In person, the word accompanies a big smile when the speaker thinks he or she has done something clever.

I write a lot (it's kind of my job), and I can always find a word that conveys the point I am trying to make without resorting to cursing. This is not to say that I don't curse myself - but I'm careful about where I do it. The forum is not a locker room. There is a level of personal and professional conduct expected, and I'm trying to keep that level as high as possible. If this offends the neanderthal types that can't get through a sentence without dropping a few F-bombs, then that's the way it goes. Professionalism in law enforcement won't come about in one huge wave. It will be incremental, like all big changes. The Officer.com forum is one of those increments.

Comment

profanity and cops

Im sorry Tim, the majority of Cops I work with have a master degrees in CJ, {30% increase in pay}and are veterans. Cops and military personal use profanity all the time no matter what their education, it depends who is around. If you get Cops together the F bomb is dropped. Cops use sarcasim and profanity to get across a point. Now with that said someone has to keep the forum in check and that is you Tim, carry on.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I could have said "Ticked off" instead of the "p" word...
                            As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by Freedomnow40 View Post
                              Cops and military personal use profanity all the time no matter what their education, it depends who is around.
                              And there you have it - it depends who is around. The content of the forum is seen by thousands, and it remains here indefinitely. I'd rather have an example of police professionalism than one of the locker room.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6126 users online. 327 members and 5799 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X