300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deemed Permanently Unsuitable

So this week I was deemed permanently Unsuitable and ineligible to reapply for my dream department. I admitted to using prescription medication (codeine) for recreational use on one occasion. My application was rejected and I was forced to make an appeal letter to the Civil Service Director of Firefighters and Police officers. I mentioned that my one time use was just to try it since I was 18 and had nothing going for my life at the time, I mentioned how I then joined the law enforcement explorers program and how I changed and motivated me to earn my GED and required college hours to be eligible to apply & that I felt that my one time usage shouldn’t permanently disqualify me, she didn’t buy it and upheld the decision. I am pretty devastated since this has been my dream for the past 4 years... I’m now 22 and just finished college and applied just to be turned down and overlooked.. people keep telling me “oh well, try another agency” but it really isn’t “oh well” that was my dream. Should I move on or should I not give up on it and show them that I want it? Can I appeal an appraled decision ? Or can I contact the chief or someone above the director ?

Ps: this agency allows their applicants a ONE time use of cocaine. 3 years before applying if they were 18 younger, 5 years if 21 younger... makes no sense but CODEINE ZERO! A tablespoon of codeine! ONE TIME!

Yeah, it's a little hard to justify drug usage past weed no matter the reason or time frame. We can all probably understand smoking weed in high school, but hard drugs or abusing prescriptions is a notch or two up. It sounds like the department wants nothing to do with you, you should understand while you feel it is no big deal there are hundreds of candidates with spotless records and no drug usage. This career is not easy to get into for a reason, we can't always party and forfeit responsibility then just walk into this. Not everyone is hired or stays with their "dream" agency, I didn't. You can try other agencies , but this one seems like their decision is set in stone.

Also, you're 22, some don't get into LE until their late 20's or 30's, maybe join the military if you have a desire to serve.
    it could help make that smudge seem less harmful.

Comment

I get that it's frustrating and you feel like this was your dream agency. At the same time, it sounds like that ship has sailed. I'm not pronouncing judgement on you but your appeal was denied by them. At this point any question of fairness or not is moot. This is a very difficult field to get into. When even small departments have hundreds of candidates showing up for one slot, or even to be on the list in case one opens, the various agencies can afford to be very picky. Your dream agency, for now, is a no-go. That's the reality. Maybe the drug use being only four years prior was too recent for them. I don't know the criteria they used.

Do not call the Chief, do not try to go over the head of the person you were speaking to. Law enforcement is a small community. That kind of thing WILL get around. And honestly, it smells a bit of sour grapes.

Apply elsewhere is the only advice I can give you. For the above reason, if you want to get into law enforcement then you need to apply everywhere humanly possible. Get on every list you can. Interview, practice, get experience trying out. Own up to the codeine use, which it sounds like you've been up front about. You can't let one agency's rejection put you off a career path if this is what you really want to be doing. I was rejected by several departments before I was hired. It's all about perseverance. Get on with another department and you may find it was an even better fit than the dream agency. If not, being certified and with a good record as an officer, dream agency may accept you later as a lateral.

There's lots of different roads to the same destination. Keep practicing, keep applying, keep gaining life experience. Don't let one 'no' discourage you from following a dream. You're going to hear a lot of 'no' in this field before you finally hear that coveted 'yes'. Agencies change over time as new people come in and old people go out. Your dream needs to be 'police officer', not 'this agency'.

Comment

• C02191996
        C02191996 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re right my dream isn’t this agency, my dream is to be a police officer for this agency.

I think part of your problem is you are a entitled 22 year old with little life experience. Just because its your "dream" agency doesn't mean they owe you anything or have to hire you. Move on most people don't get on with the first agency they apply for. Most people try to get into LE for years.

Comment

• C02191996
        C02191996 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re right they don’t owe me anything and don’t need to hire me, but I they do owe me a explanation on why exactly codeine is not okay when cocaine is. I’m not entitled but I definitely earned my opportunity to apply by going back to school earning the minimum required education to apply in which I was going to go back to school after I was hired on.

• Mhefner5
        Mhefner5 commented
        Editing a comment
        They only have to give you an explanation on why they didn’t hire you. They don’t have to explain their policies and procedures to you. They didn’t make you go to college either you did that on your own. You don’t meet the requirements to get hired for that agency so your degree is irrelevant.

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        No they do not owe you an explanation.............

However I will give you one ................unlawful use of prescription medication is a felony. You admitted to that felony

2965984-skull-skeleton-bones-digital-art-portrait-display-scythe-sword-giant-spooky-fantasy-art-deviantart___fantasy-wallpapers.jpg
      People don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad bosses.

Comment

Originally posted by C02191996 View Post
        So this week I was deemed permanently Unsuitable and ineligible to reapply for my dream department. I admitted to using prescription medication (codeine) for recreational use on one occasion. My application was rejected and I was forced to make an appeal letter to the Civil Service Director of Firefighters and Police officers. I mentioned that my one time use was just to try it since I was 18 and had nothing going for my life at the time, I mentioned how I then joined the law enforcement explorers program and how I changed and motivated me to earn my GED and required college hours to be eligible to apply & that I felt that my one time usage shouldn’t permanently disqualify me, she didn’t buy it and upheld the decision. I am pretty devastated since this has been my dream for the past 4 years... I’m now 22 and just finished college and applied just to be turned down and overlooked.. people keep telling me “oh well, try another agency” but it really isn’t “oh well” that was my dream. Should I move on or should I not give up on it and show them that I want it? Can I appeal an appraled decision ? Or can I contact the chief or someone above the director ?

Ps: this agency allows their applicants a ONE time use of cocaine. 3 years before applying if they were 18 younger, 5 years if 21 younger... makes no sense but CODEINE ZERO! A tablespoon of codeine! ONE TIME!

I'm not surprised that a 22-year-old who only meets the minimum educational requirements (and likely doesn't have much else to offer) has trouble getting hired. That's expected due to limited life experience.

However, I'm a bit surprised at the PERMANENT DQ. Were you specifically told that the one-time codeine use was the reason for your permanent DQ...or were there other factors?

What's your employment history?

Comment

Rule VII Minimum Qualifications
          Applicants must possess the following qualifications at the time of application for the position of police officer:
          9. Applicants must meet the suitability requirements listed under Rule IX.H.13 Use of Illicit
          Substances.
          IX.H.13 Use of Illicit Substances
          Applicants are deemed unsuitable if they have:
          d) Abused or illegally used prescription medicines for the purpose of intoxication or
          recreation, whether prescribed to them or another person or otherwise obtained is permanently unsuitable

thats word for word what they said

Comment

Rule VII Minimum Qualifications
            Applicants must possess the following qualifications at the time of application for the position of police officer:
            9. Applicants must meet the suitability requirements listed under Rule IX.H.13 Use of Illicit
            Substances.
            IX.H.13 Use of Illicit Substances
            Applicants are deemed unsuitable if they have:
            d) Abused or illegally used prescription medicines for the purpose of intoxication or
            recreation, whether prescribed to them or another person or otherwise obtained is permanently unsuitable

thats word for word what they said
            Out of curiosity, can you post the rest of their illicit substance rules? Not sure why they'd be okay with one-time cocaine use, but not one-time misuse of prescription medication. I'd have to agree with you that this doesn't make much sense. That being said, the rule is what it is...and unfortunately it does make you "permanently unsuitable" by THEIR standards.

I know you don't want to hear this, but your only option is to apply elsewhere. I don't think you're a competitive candidate right now (regardless of drug use)...but I'm sure there are plenty of agencies that won't auto DQ you for this one incident. It's a significant negative mark, but not a permanent DQ with many agencies. Good luck.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              C02191996 Thanks for posting the link.

Like I said, I'm surprised that they make ZERO exceptions for prescription meds (except for ADHD meds)...but find limited COCAINE use acceptable. What the heck is up with that? If you do cocaine you either committed a separate crime in order to obtain it...or you associate with criminals. It's usually not just randomly offered to someone. Whereas prescription meds are easily obtainable, especially for kids. The temptation to pop one of your buddy's prescription pills is much higher...and in my opinion, more forgivable with the passage of time.

But again, it's their rules, and unfortunately you're SOL with this agency.

• C02191996
              C02191996 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not unless I contact the Chief. but i don’t know if I’m up for that right now. It’s going to bring a lot of attention to me if I were to make it back into the hiring process

• not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              C02191996 No, bud. That's not how things work. They won't make an exception for you...nor change their entire drug policy for you. You already appealed even though there was no basis for an appeal. If you keep it up then you likely won't be hired by ANY LE agency in the future. Nobody wants to hire a known troublemaker who can't take no for an answer... Accept it and try elsewhere. Or pursue a different career path.

• C02191996
              C02191996 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I will be a LEO regardless, I’m not choosing a different career path

I’m betting it was more than “one time”. We don’t have the entire story.

However, if that really IS what happened, you should go directly to the Chief and demand an explanation.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Then where’s my money at because if i did it more than one time I wouldn’t be making such a big deal of it and appealing the decision and coming onto this website to ask about it.

Comment

I don’t believe you have the maturity at this point. But prove us wrong: call the Chief, it’s your right and you should exercise that Right.

So, San Antonio, huh?
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yes maybe you’re right, maybe I don’t have the maturity like these older folks but I know officers who are 20 21 who are less mature then me and have less expirence in life than I do. So yes sir, maybe I’m not well experienced yet but I definitely do not act my age.
                  & yes, San Antonio

Comment

Why is being an officer for San Antonio PD your dream?

Comment

You wouldn’t understand like the rest of the folks on here. It seems like not a big deal but it is for me, I was an explorer with these guys for 3 years and the program is what changed my life and helped me find what I wanted to do in life. So this department was it. I could’ve just been a loser on the streets smoking dope for a living the the rest of the young adults.

Comment

You wouldn’t understand like the rest of the folks on here. It seems like not a big deal but it is for me, I was an explorer with these guys for 3 years and the program is what changed my life and helped me find what I wanted to do in life. So this department was it. I could’ve just been a loser on the streets smoking dope for a living the the rest of the young adults.
                        1) You could have saved yourself a lot of disappointment if you had read the department's eligibility rules BEFORE applying. You should have known that you did not meet minimum requirements (i.e. NO recreational prescription drug use).

2) Just because someone isn't a "dope-smoking loser" doesn't necessarily mean they should be a police officer. Thankfully, hiring standards are a bit higher than that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11691 users online. 409 members and 11282 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X