300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.COM Running out of ideas?

Does anyone think us users are running out of good quality ideas for new posts? Sure there are some new great stories shared here, but the basic debates are getting old. It seems we are starting to talk about the same thing over and over again.

Yes, actually I do think some new ideas would be nice. However, not being LE I have to be careful putting them out there. Questions is, what does o.com want. Just a fun place to let off steam or do they want to add some serious discussions? Sometimes folks want to come online to just let loose and relax and the last thing they want is a big serious debate. I think it is up to the members to start posting what they want in the right areas of the site and let the members decide if it is a subject they care to hear about or not.

Keep in mind, the regulars here will run anyone out of dodge if they don't like their posting so bringing in too much new and different won't work. Maybe a new forum titled "what about this topic" could be added and then folks can have fun or trash the topic. Just a thought, maybe not my best but a thought never the less.

Comment

They aren't writing a book are they? Why do they need new ideas? If people have little to post about the forums are still serving the purpose of Q&A and discussion of what people want to.

Trying to think up stuff to post just to have something new to post would seem kind of silly unless they need to do so to keep advertising going.

Comment

I would agree that to post crap just to post is not a good idea. I think what the original poster may mean is that folks tend to cling to the same topics, maybe out of comfort or they just plain like them. That is fine. I think the question really is when people try and post out of folks comfort zone. I think some subjects could have some good debates to them but doubt they would fly on this site. Of course, keep in mind this is not a political, religious, conspiracy etc site so you really can't expect those topics to take flight.

I think the best idea is for people to just post what they want and see if anyone bites. Trust me, around here, if they don't like what you post, they will tell you.

Comment

I would imagine that the threads that discuss the same topics are started by new people that aren't looking through past posts or feel their situation has extra, relevant circumstances.

Comment

Within the next few weeks you'll start to see new feature content on O.com, accessible from the home page (and later a special Features page). This will also include some editorials from yours truly. We encourage discussion of what you read in these articles and hopefully the authors will participate as well (although their participation is entirely optional for them).

The repetitive nature of discussion topics isn't so much because people are running out of ideas as because the basics of police work have not changed much in our lifetimes. There are hero cops and screwup cops. Professional courtesy and the attitudes and practices concerning acceptance of gratuities have always been hot buttons. Cops have conflicts with their managers and the public.

20 years ago (yes, I'm that old), I was active on a police discussion forum on CompuServe (this predated the Internet as we know it) called Safetynet. The topics we dealt with then are more or less the same as those we deal with now. And my wager is that cops 20 years from now will still be talking about the same issues. They may be doing it via wireless interfaces implanted in their skulls, but the topics will be basically the same.
            Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
              Within the next few weeks you'll start to see new feature content on O.com, accessible from the home page (and later a special Features page). This will also include some editorials from yours truly. We encourage discussion of what you read in these articles and hopefully the authors will participate as well (although their participation is entirely optional for them).

The repetitive nature of discussion topics isn't so much because people are running out of ideas as because the basics of police work have not changed much in our lifetimes. There are hero cops and screwup cops. Professional courtesy and the attitudes and practices concerning acceptance of gratuities have always been hot buttons. Cops have conflicts with their managers and the public.

20 years ago (yes, I'm that old), I was active on a police discussion forum on CompuServe (this predated the Internet as we know it) called Safetynet. The topics we dealt with then are more or less the same as those we deal with now. And my wager is that cops 20 years from now will still be talking about the same issues. They may be doing it via wireless interfaces implanted in their skulls, but the topics will be basically the same.
              Dont tell my wife about the top secret implantable chips that we are all gonna have, she thinks its to have the govt completely control us
              When we eat, sleep, where we go, when to have se.. ooops sorry wrong thread for that. I cant wait to just think of something and have it happen, but of course the lottery will cease to exist as well all have the winning numbers the day before...
              I got nothing for now

Comment

I've just returned to O.com from a bit of a hiatus. One of the reasons I left was because so many of the topics became repetitive.

I always felt it would be a good idea to have a FAQ portion of the site. The sort of thing a person would be directed to initially upon registering. That would potentially eliminate many of the people that come on to ask:

"Will the underage alcohol/disorderly conduct/traffic ticket I got when I was 16 keep me from realizing my dream to become a cop?"

"What's better, 9mm or .40?"

"What's a good beginning handgun?"

And so on...
                Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
                  I've just returned to O.com from a bit of a hiatus. One of the reasons I left was because so many of the topics became repetitive.

I always felt it would be a good idea to have a FAQ portion of the site. The sort of thing a person would be directed to initially upon registering. That would potentially eliminate many of the people that come on to ask:

"Will the underage alcohol/disorderly conduct/traffic ticket I got when I was 16 keep me from realizing my dream to become a cop?"

"What's better, 9mm or .40?"

"What's a good beginning handgun?"

And so on...
                  I think a FAQ is a great idea, but the questions you suggested don't have pat answers. Has the 16-year-old had any trouble with the law since that incident? I happen to prefer .40 over 9mm, but others may feel differently. And I think you'll find as many answers to that last one as there are handguns.

There are some questions that are appropriate for a FAQ. Why don't you start a thread and see if you can get some? If we can get a list that doesn't have answers in general dispute, we can "sticky" it to the forum.
                  Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

As one who's started many a thread both lame and otherwise ...

Posting a topic is not Rocket Science folks. I just post my experiences/ observations or just stuff I'm curious about. If I see something interesting on CNN or Fox news I'll post it to get others opinions.

I also like to post topics where I know there'll be differing viewpoints, nothing is staler than a bunch of folks always agreeing...

Lastly the folks should look in the mirror if they are not satisfied with the type of topics being posted.

Post early, post often.
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5971 users online. 355 members and 5616 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X