Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThickCop once again needs Computer tutoring...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThickCop once again needs Computer tutoring...

I have Windows XP...I got a notice form Micrsoft stating new updates were available. I clicked to install them and I got a new version of Outlook Express (e-mail).

The problem is I cannot find/access ANY of my old sent'inbox/outbox, etc e-mails or address book contacts...NOTHING. It's like I never had a previous e-mail setting.

How can I "undo" this upgrade and get my old e-mail/Outlook Express settings back????
    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-29-2005, 06:01 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Originally posted by BrickCop
    I have Windows XP...I got a notice form Micrsoft stating new updates were available. I clicked to install them and I got a new version of Outlook Express (e-mail).

The problem is I cannot find/access ANY of my old sent'inbox/outbox, etc e-mails or address book contacts...NOTHING. It's like I never had a previous e-mail setting.

How can I "undo" this upgrade and get my old e-mail/Outlook Express settings back????

Click: Start
    Click: Help and Support
    Click: Restoring System

Check Restore my computer to an earlier time, then Click Next.

Then just pick a date that was before you started having the problem. All the days in bold are days that the computer has created a restore point. So if you had the problem yesterday, but not two days ago, just go back 3 or 4 days to be on the safe side.

A system restore will take your computer back to an earlier time, but will not erase any saved work. However, say you installed yahoo instant messanger on friday, and you system resotre to wednesday, you will lose yahoo instant messanger. But if you've been using microsoft word every day to write and save new stuff, since you've had word on your computer the entire time, you won't lose anything.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
      Click: Help and Support
      Click: Restoring System

Check Restore my computer to an earlier time, then Click Next.

Then just pick a date that was before you started having the problem. All the days in bold are days that the computer has created a restore point. So if you had the problem yesterday, but not two days ago, just go back 3 or 4 days to be on the safe side.

A system restore will take your computer back to an earlier time, but will not erase any saved work. However, say you installed yahoo instant messanger on friday, and you system resotre to wednesday, you will lose yahoo instant messanger. But if you've been using microsoft word every day to write and save new stuff, since you've had word on your computer the entire time, you won't lose anything.

You DA MAN....Thanks it worked....
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

No problem man. It's saved me more times then I can count (or care to admit).
        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Brick, there is a way to export your e-mail messages but I don't remember how to do it on Express. This way you can save them somewhere on your computer, and then do the updates and import them back into the new Outlook Express.
          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Brick....
            On a related note, you might want to take a look at and download the Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail program at www.mozilla.com

Both are pretty user-friendly and unaffected by any Microsoft updates or bugs. Pop-ups and spam get clipped too.

Comment

Eudora Pro email here. I can save the folder...back it up or what ever. Then if you need to reload your machine, just install a new version and dump the saved version over top of it. You won't even loose your password settings.

You just CANNOT do that with outlook express. I have seen many customers loose their stuff when counting on that email program.
              An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Geez, i will be sure not to accept the upgrade

Comment

These [email protected]#$%&* automatic updates *&%$#@! $%#@!*...it did it to me AGAIN! I had to do the roll back thing again...how can I get it to &*%$#@! stop changing/updating Outlook Express?!

Comment

These [email protected]#$%&* automatic updates *&%$#@! $%#@!*...it did it to me AGAIN! I had to do the roll back thing again...how can I get it to &*%$#@! stop changing/updating Outlook Express?!

You could turn off automatic updates, which is what I've done.

Click: Control Panel
                    Click: System
                    Click: Automatic Updates Tab

Then just click your flavor. There are 4 flavors, from Fully Automatic updates to No Automatic Updates at all.

Granted there are always a lot of updates, but usually it is dumb things like a new language engine or something like that. I just keep my antivirus up to date. I don't need to use word in chinese.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

If you turn off the Windows automatic updates you can still go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ from time to time to check for updates, you can select which updates you want to install. That's what works best for me, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by carty
                        If you turn off the Windows automatic updates you can still go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ from time to time to check for updates, you can select which updates you want to install. That's what works best for me, at least.

True story. Good call Carty.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                          No problem man. It's saved me more times then I can count (or care to admit).

Me too. However now my computer is messed up beyond restoring. It's reformatting time.

Comment

Originally posted by carty
                            I second this. Good luck, Brick!
                            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Sooner or later, not upgrading will mess you up. Here's how to dodge the bullet when upgrading:

1. In Outlook Express, click on File|Export|Messages
                              2. Export your message file(s) to a folder that you can locate later.
                              3. Repeat this process for your address book.
                              4. Upgrade OE.
                              5. Import the message and address book files using File|Import|Messages/Addresses. You should be back in business.

Exporting your messages and address book periodically is a good idea, anyway. If the regular files get corrupted, you can retore them with the backups.
                              Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2492 users online. 128 members and 2364 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X