This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just MOVE the ASK a COP section already

It appears that the Ask a Cop section is the root of the problem here lately. The questions there are for information. Information that does not always take a commissioned officer to know the answer.

However, as I'm sure you might have realized....some of the more RUDE and outspoken members take anyone trying to contribute in that area that admit to not being commissioned, as a personal insult. Therefore we see the ban threads and the wannabe threads and the personal issues as a result.

Simply put, MOVE the Ask a Cop section to the OFFICERS ONLY section.

OR, make it known publically that it is EXPECTED for members that are NOT COMMISSIONED officers to chime in on topics there.

If you ....O.COM....would provide the ruling of sorts...it would completely clear up this issue.

You move the section and the most rude and intollerant members can feel free to be as insulting to anyone who is stupid enough to post a question there.

You leave it...AND let it be known publically that members OTHER than COMMISSIONED OFFICERS may post as they feel is warranted....the rude among us will have no more justification for ****ing in the sandbox the way they have been.

Even today....the SAME issue came back after the deleted/closed threads. I don't think the problem is with non commissioned members posting there....I think it is the malicious attitude by SOME of the commissioned officers who think they are better than anyone else.

PLEASE O.COM....settle this once and for all...MOVE THE ASK A COP SECTION!!
    Last edited by zap; 07-17-2005, 09:16 AM.
    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Simply put, MOVE the Ask a Cop section to the OFFICERS ONLY section.

OR, make it known publically that it is EXPECTED for members that are NOT COMMISSIONED officers to chime in on topics there.

If you ....O.COM....would provide the ruling of sorts...it would completely clear up this issue.
    In my opinion, the title "Ask a Cop" speaks for itself. I don't believe a "ruling" by O.COM is required here. I don't think that moving it will accomplish anything either...when you click on "New Posts" they are all mixed together anyway. I have inadvertently posted in both threads because I wasn't paying attention. I try and remember now to check the origin of the post before I post.

Whether or not I feel that I may have something to contribute is irrelevant, I am not an LEO and I think it's a matter of respect to those that are to stay out of "Ask a Cop" and "Squad Room Only."
    "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

Originally posted by TXLady
      In my opinion, the title "Ask a Cop" speaks for itself. I don't believe a "ruling" by O.COM is required here. I don't think that moving it will accomplish anything either...when you click on "New Posts" they are all mixed together anyway. I have inadvertently posted in both threads because I wasn't paying attention. I try and remember now to check the origin of the post before I post.

Whether or not I feel that I may have something to contribute is irrelevant, I am not an LEO and I think it's a matter of respect to those that are to stay out of "Ask a Cop" and "Squad Room Only."

I have no problem with that. I pull up from the main link ( http://forums.officer.com/forums/index.php? ) and from there can see all the section headings andy any with new posts.

My issue is that the "Ask a Cop" section is in a NON-restricted area. To me, that means anyone with correct information should be able to answer the common simple questions.

However, a few of the commissioned officers seem to think that anyone that is not commissioned (regardless of knowledge or experience) are beneith them and take it as a personal insult if said person attempts to contribute to the discussion.

If "Ask a Cop" was supposed to be restricted, THEN RESTRICT IT!

If it was NOT supposed to be restricted, THEN DEAL WITH THE MEMBERS WHO ARE WHINING ABOUT IT!

TXLady...I am not at all irritated at you. You have an opinion and have a right to voice it without someone getting all bent out of shape.

There is just simply two lines of thought. Those who think the title should impose a restriction to the point of justified RUDE and INSULTING behavior on the board...... And, those who think that if the section was intended to be restricted, it is in the wrong place and should be moved to the officers only section of the forumn.

I think the later. Apparently, only a few of the more outspoken amongst us feel the oppisite.

They talk about being thin skinned and out of place....but who is being thin skinned and out of place when they can't seem to be able to handle opposing viewpoints or the FACT that pinning on the badge (as honorable as that is) does not grant knowledge before unknown.

I UNDERSTAND their point. I really do. That is why I suggest the section just be moved to the officers only portion of the forum. Obviously the OP will not be commissioned...but that is the exception. Anyone else posting there can be insulted, malined, and then banned if they want.

I think someone needs to make a decision...ruling if you will...that clarifies whether or not the "ASK a COP" section was INTENDED or WILL henceforth be restricted to responses only from commissioned officers.

....that falls squarely to O.COM to do. If they are concerned about the happenings of this past week...they WILL MAKE A DECISION. If they don't.... whats the sense of giving a $hit?? ...post anything, anywhere you want.
      An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Comment

I am not trying to be hard-headed about this...it's just that to me, the title "Ask a Cop" is restricting in and of itself.
        "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

Originally posted by TXLady
          I am not trying to be hard-headed about this...it's just that to me, the title "Ask a Cop" is restricting in and of itself.
          That is not being hard headed. I understand. And if that IS the case...the section SHOULD be MOVED to the officers only part of the site.

Comment

It's really pretty simple: "Ask a Cop" means that the person wants an answer from a real, honest to God, certified cop. Not a wannabe, a C.J. student, a security guard, or someone who like to watch "Law and Order." A Cop....get it?
            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
              It's really pretty simple: "Ask a Cop" means that the person wants an answer from a real, honest to God, certified cop. Not a wannabe, a C.J. student, a security guard, or someone who like to watch "Law and Order." A Cop....get it?

I have ALWAYS gotten it. People post questions to get ANSWERS.

THIS is the REASON the section should be MOVED. IF you are one of the members on this board who do not want "a wannabe, a C.J. student, a security guard, or someone who like to watch "Law and Order." to post in what you consider to be YOUR section of the forum....MOVE THE F'ing THING ALREADY.

Talk about thinskinned....how the hell can you justify getting your panties in a bunch over someone posting in a NON-restricted section on a website?

You are right....it is titled Ask a COP....and it should be moved to the officers only section in the forum. If it is NOT moved...seems to me that ANYone who has information that they feel is relevant should be able to post without a bunch of members claiming they are wannabes or personally being insulting and rude. Get O.COM to move the thread or GET OVER IT.

Act professional for crying out loud.

Comment

If Ask a Cop is moved to the Officers Only section, civilians will have to go into the Officers Only section to post a question. Once officers answer the question, the civilian may want to discuss the issue further, or need further clarification, which means more posting in the Officers Only section.

There are enough instances of civilians posting in the Officers Only section without making it an Officers Only Unless You Want to Post a Question section. I see your point, but I think your solution might only create more confusion.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous
                  If Ask a Cop is moved to the Officers Only section, civilians will have to go into the Officers Only section to post a question. Once officers answer the question, the civilian may want to discuss the issue further, or need further clarification, which means more posting in the Officers Only section.

There are enough instances of civilians posting in the Officers Only section without making it an Officers Only Unless You Want to Post a Question section. I see your point, but I think your solution might only create more confusion.

I fully understand that. And agree with you that it might pose a problem if it is not handled differently than the other threads there. I don't even go in there...I understand however that this is an issue by references to it on other sections of the site.

Why not create a section for Ask a COP, strickly on its own? Restrict the posts to that from LE, and the original poster only (who does not need to be a commissioned officer).

There are times when I question something in Ask a Cop...so chime in to question or clarify. Sometimes I know the right answer to someone's question. If I don't....I leave it alone.

So....if the heading is moved...or RESTRICTED where it is. Those whose panties are in a bunch will have freedom from the rest of us who might have answers without a commission. (true wannabes will lie and go there anyway...but nothing can be done about that....unfortunately, some members seem to lump everyone into the same category)

If it is left alone....those members need to just get over it. Anyone who posts can see on the persons info whether they claim to be a commissioned cop or not. Let them sort it out. Let us all get along and learn from each other without ****ing in the sandbox.

Comment

Folks

The Ask a Cop section is a public forum. Its not restricted in any regard.

If you don't like what is posted there, simply DO NOT GO THERE.

Moving it to a different category or spending hours moderating what appears there isn't going to cause anything to change.

Thanks
                    sigpic
                    The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
                    PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3839 users online. 220 members and 3619 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X