X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Administrators.

To the O.Com Administrators:

What are your thoughs on the recent war about who posts what where?
    We (O.Com) members rarely hear from you guys. If you don't already know, there is a rash of whining going on about the "Ask a cop" section. Is there a way you can fix things so that only a verified cop can reply to a question in "Ask a cop"? And, is there a way you can delete or move posts that don't belong in the "Ask a cop" section? I, for one, am growing tired of the "I'm quitting this forum because so & so posted this here & there"

I think the O.Com members really need your help & suggestions with this problem here.

Thanks! JK
    That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Mate, we've been down this road several times and you are going to get the same answer, that is, if you get one.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32584

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...976#post208976

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18134

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ght=moderators

Comment

I aplogize for my original post.
      Last edited by usafcop64528; 07-16-2005, 09:17 PM.
      RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

At some point, some day, maybe, we'll be able to verify officers vs. non-officers by some fax system or otherwise. Until then, its the internet folks. There's only so much effort that can be expended managing a very popular message forum. (and even then, with any verification process, there's no 100%)

If a post is misplaced in a wrong category, should be closed, etc. simply use the 'report a post' function with the comments that will help us address it.

Thanks
        sigpic
        The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
        PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

Here are some considerations. To make it verified leo's would cost some money. No, it couldn't be 100% foolproof, but it would be a good start. More mods. Pick some decent people who have been around for awhile. I'm not sure who is currently a mod. If there were a few more mods, the site could be better policed. Also, with more mods, it could be easier to track the IP addresses of people suspected of coming back under new names after being banned or chased off. Just my thoughts. Also another idea, should anyone have any ideas as to how to make it work, the actual verifing of the LEO's, or making it work on the forum (I'm not quite up to speed on how it would work) could offer their ideas/expertise to make it work.

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

I don

Comment

[QUOTE=LvNjPoles]I don

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

[QUOTE=LvNjPoles]I don
                Last edited by SuperSix5; 07-17-2005, 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
                Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                --------------------
                This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

I posted this in response to another thread. O.COM has now spoken. It's up to us.

In my opinion, the title "Ask a Cop" speaks for itself. I don't believe a "ruling" by O.COM is required here. I don't think that moving it will accomplish anything either...when you click on "New Posts" they are all mixed together anyway. I have inadvertently posted in both threads because I wasn't paying attention. I try and remember now to check the origin of the post before I post.

Whether or not I feel that I may have something to contribute is irrelevant, I am not an LEO and I think it's a matter of respect to those that are to stay out of "Ask a Cop" and "Squad Room Only."
                  "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

Folks

We could spend every waking hour of the day trying to moderate to ensure people post in particular threads, etc. and stay on topic. We don't. Even if we had volunteer moderators, even that would be a waste of their time to some degree. If a post is in the wrong area, or gets out of hand REPORT IT and it will be dealt with rapidly and effectively.

Overall here, these 'problem' threads total -- when reviewed -- amounted to about 18 or so of nearly 200 new threads started in the last week. And probalby a half dozen users out of over 1,500 that were active in that same time period. And posts that needed to be deleted or removed? Maybe three dozen out of over 6000 -- 6000 posts! So anyone who says things are out of hand just doesn't know the math. Thats less than 1%.

Sad that everyone ignores the overwhelming majority of posts that are in line great forums, and just focuses on the bad and thinks the world is doomed.

Let's be reasonable. A few threads are always bound to get out of hand. They, and their users, are dealt with, and life -- and the forums -- moves on.

WebTeam
                    sigpic
                    The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
                    PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5664 users online. 325 members and 5339 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X