300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking Threads As Read Isn't Saving

It seems as though the forum does not always save the fact that I have read a thread, forum section, or used the "mark forum as read" option.

I have only done this with the new Debutante theme and have not tested the old theme. I prefer the new theme over the old one. I have had this problem for a while now but haven't really expended much energy attempting to troubleshoot it myself just yet, I just know it happens some of the time.

Any ideas before I actually put some effort into figuring it out?
    “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Seems to work fine for me on the "old" theme.

Comment

I found if I mark a forum/thread as read and wait a while it may eventually save. However, if I mark a forum/thread as read and then immediately close the tab/browser it will not be marked as read when I return.
      “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
        I found if I mark a forum/thread as read and wait a while it may eventually save. However, if I mark a forum/thread as read and then immediately close the tab/browser it will not be marked as read when I return.
        Makes sense, because in order to perform this function I believe the forum generates and sets a cookie in your browser to do so, so if you immediately close the window it doesn't have the chance to set the cookie.
        Also, if one has cookies turned off, or "accept cookies from third parties" turned off then it will also cause failures like this too.

Comment

This occurs with either theme and regardless of browser. I also tried marking a forum as read, refreshing the page, waiting five minutes, refreshing the page again, and then coming back without success. I have not yet tried waiting longer.

JD, if you don't mind answering, do you guys have any sort of caching set up, either via a plug-in or .htaccess, for the forums?

Comment

Please change to option 2!

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/..._group_general

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
            This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read. The options are:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
            2) Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
            3) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
            No wonder I have had threads that I swore I did not read being marked as read.

Comment

My apologies for the delay in responding. I will have our development team look into this.
              I ride a Harley, brew my own beer and work for this website.
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post

No wonder I have had threads that I swore I did not read being marked as read.
                That's because we all read them for you so you wouldn't have to

Comment

moved to new thread
                  Last edited by sanitizer; 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
                    That's because we all read them for you so you wouldn't have to
                    Hackers! Maybe what's his name was right! I should start keeping notes of everyone who visits my profile because they are hackers! Just so long as the O.com faries don't stare at me while I sleep I think I'm ok.

Comment

Gradient- Are cookies enabled for our site on your browser? (This is probably a stupid question but seems appropriate for your issue) Are you using our forums during a private session on your browser? (Chrome- Incognito, IE-InPrivate, Firefox-Private Window)

We do have a setting on the back end of the system we can explore however these alternate settings may actually negatively affect the performance and speed of the forums. My development team has cautioned against setting them up in this manner.
                      I ride a Harley, brew my own beer and work for this website.
                      Cheers

Comment

Sorry, I would have replied sooner, but since I left my browser open with this website the forum was automatically marked as read and I did not notice it until now.

Yes, cookies are enabled. Chrome (and all of my browsers for that matter) are at "default" settings, I added a cookie exception to *.officer.com and disabled the few extensions I do use. As I stated though, I also tried this in Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox, same results. I also tried all three browsers on my laptop AND Tapatalk, same results.

No, I am not using anything which anonymizes my visit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4623 users online. 258 members and 4365 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X