300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nopd

I read that the 249 officers that abandoned their posts would be subject to disciplinary action. Any ideas of what charges they would face? Could they see jail time or would it be more like suspension?
    Started POST Sept. 6, 2005

no criminal charges, unless they were deputized by the county sheriff.
    abandoning their post under duress:

they have a whole slew of sanctions
    termination
    suspension
    revoke their commission

how ever....no telling what i would have done or any other sworn officer
    would have done.

it's a situation that was never faced before unless ya wanna
    count hurricane andrew as the model for destruction.

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
      no criminal charges, unless they were deputized by the county sheriff.
      abandoning their post under duress:

they have a whole slew of sanctions
      termination
      suspension
      revoke their commission

how ever....no telling what i would have done or any other sworn officer
      would have done.

it's a situation that was never faced before unless ya wanna
      count hurricane andrew as the model for destruction.

www.schackdaddy.com
      OH don't worry about those [email protected]@holes that went AWOL. And some of them actually called my Sheriff to get a job, however, we just got hit bad with Rita, so again I am sure they would have fled. Every single one of our deputies showed up for work, stayed and even took care of their homes, unless they were loss and their families into getting out of town! For those NOPD guys....all I can say is they are not True Blue and our Brothers!
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Not all abandoned their jobs, some are being railroaded due to the actions of others.

Comment

to formerNOPD, can you tell us what the real reason the chief quit his job, i dont know if you heard anything while you were down there. Plus any other info on the officers that stayed there after the storm, if they are going to get regonized for there service to the community in a time of need? I hope there will be alot of promotions
          Officer Schilling ]

Comment

Originally posted by hellhound130
            to formerNOPD, can you tell us what the real reason the chief quit his job, i dont know if you heard anything while you were down there. Plus any other info on the officers that stayed there after the storm, if they are going to get regonized for there service to the community in a time of need? I hope there will be alot of promotions

Question 1: Eddie the hat. He left because he has a history of lying. His COMSTAT figures were skewed from day one when he was captain of the 1st district. Basically he made up false stats to make it look like his district had reduced crime so much in NO to win an award and brownie points with the city administration. Crime never really went down in new orleans, even during the pennington administration, just the reporting was skewed in order to make it look so. Attempted burglarlies were bumped down to criminal mischief and such. The only figures they could not skew were the out and out homicides, although even a few of them that the issue was borderline whether it was a homicide or something else they classified as "unknown" causes.... Skull bashed in by a iron pipe or something that they never found, so obviously he died of natural causes....LOL.

NOPD has also padded the numbers on actual officers on the force. In the year 2000, we only had about 1700 officers then, they were aiming for 2000 as the majic number, yet between 2000 and now, I'm positive of at least 50 to 100 officers per year leaving. They only hired about 40 per year, so you can see there is a math problem. Perhaps - this is speculation - he kept the numbers up to keep that federal grant money..... hmmm wonder what happened to all that money... Probably the same thing that happened to all the money the past 50 years given to the state and orleans parish levee board and former governer Edwin Edwards (now incarcarated in tx).....

Not to mention the old dope switch-a-roo / planting of dope at crime scenes etc.... Too much to go into on this board. I'm certain the feds will get to the bottom of it. Lots of corruption. The few good guys get crapped on as soon as they see you won't play their game. They make it so you cannot leave or get a job anywhere else.

As for the guys that stayed? They're not getting paid right now. They'll receive nothing but an atta boy from the corrupt leadership, while the leadership takes all the credit for the job that was mostly done by the military and federal agencies....

Comment

thats a shame, for the guys who risk there lives staying on the job. I figure there was something with that chief, during interviews and watching him with other officers, look like there was something wrong with the way his officers acted towards him. I would like to know where he was during all the interviews and such at the beginning of the flooding. I never saw his face till everyone evacated the superdome. Maybe it was just the news channel I watched.(CNN) Cause if I recall I remember them asking where the chief of police was. My personal opinion, and tell me if I am wrong but I think the chief took off, cause he said his wife was in Florida. I bet he left with her when the situation got bad.
              Officer Schilling ]

Comment

Originally posted by hellhound130
                Cause if I recall I remember them asking where the chief of police was. My personal opinion, and tell me if I am wrong but I think the chief took off, cause he said his wife was in Florida. I bet he left with her when the situation got bad.
                He said he took his 8 month pregnant wife out of town and then came back.

Comment

well i think he should have done that before the hurricane hit, aleast i would have. That way I was there when my officers needed me
                  Officer Schilling ]

Comment

Originally posted by formerNOPD
                    Not to mention the old dope switch-a-roo / planting of dope at crime scenes etc.... Too much to go into on this board. I'm certain the feds will get to the bottom of it. Lots of corruption. The few good guys get crapped on as soon as they see you won't play their game. They make it so you cannot leave or get a job anywhere else.
                    Sadly, I work in a place that works exactly like that. The good guys get trashed in their jackets the moment you show you aren't willing to do something that should get you indicted (so that the current admin has something on you to play ball). If they can't beat you with write ups (the smart cops can beat it through the union and have it removed from file) they open frivolous IA's on you. (our chief takes ANY complaint from our citizens and makes it an official IA. 85% african american citizenship, most of which are not happy about anything to do with police makes that really fun). You can greive the outcome of the IA, or even the punishment (if any) but you cannot remove it from file that it happened. Most of the other agencies surrounding ours are comparatively "normal" and don't like to see applicants with 3 IA's in 1 year in their jackets so they shy away.

Then if you do happen to get hired admin makes a backchannel phone call and gets you blackballed.

Make no mistake: We would have been fools to not have researched the department before coming here, most of us knew (to some minor degree) what we were getting into. But it is definately a fine dance to stay out of criminal activities by playing ball and not getting completely blacklisted for not doing the things happening all around. Makes for a rare and narrow promotion track.

On the plus side: if you can make it through a few years in my city, you are a superstar pretty much anywhere else you go and can deal with the day to day policisms just about anywhere.
                    Last edited by Grifter; 10-22-2005, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, cable just came back on after Wilma (still have no power, just generator).

GWBJR,

Not sure that we are talking about the same issue. When I stated the black/white statistic it was demographic background. Thought the issue was departmental ethics. Good luck with your issue though.

Comment

And WA/OR is totally differant from the rest of the states.... Especially in LE.

Comment

So you are telling us that LA and FL LE are criminal orgainizations?

Originally posted by Grifter
                          Sadly, I work in a place that works exactly like that. The good guys get trashed in their jackets the moment you show you aren't willing to do something that should get you indicted (so that the current admin has something on you to play ball). If they can't beat you with write ups (the smart cops can beat it through the union and have it removed from file) they open frivolous IA's on you. (our chief takes ANY complaint from our citizens and makes it an official IA. 85% african american citizenship, most of which are not happy about anything to do with police makes that really fun). You can greive the outcome of the IA, or even the punishment (if any) but you cannot remove it from file that it happened. Most of the other agencies surrounding ours are comparatively "normal" and don't like to see applicants with 3 IA's in 1 year in their jackets so they shy away.

Then if you do happen to get hired admin makes a backchannel phone call and gets you blackballed.

Make no mistake: We would have been fools to not have researched the department before coming here, most of us knew (to some minor degree) what we were getting into. But it is definately a fine dance to stay out of criminal activities by playing ball and not getting completely blacklisted for not doing the things happening all around. Makes for a rare and narrow promotion track.

On the plus side: if you can make it through a few years in my city, you are a superstar pretty much anywhere else you go and can deal with the day to day policisms just about anywhere.

Comment

The week I worked there, I stayed with a Jefferson Parish S.O. Lieutenant. He sent his wife inland to stay with friends before the storm hit. Although his house was trashed by the storm and he had no power, phone or running water for weeks, he and his son( a SWAT member) stayed on the job, working 18+ hr shifts.

While we were talking, he said "those a**holes that abandoned their jobs aren't cops...they're scum (or something to that effect) and don't deserve to wear a badge".

The heroes were the men and women who stayed at their posts, regardless of what tragedy was happening at home.

Comment

Katrina

Former N.O.P.D just about sums it all up but like he said to much more to put on here without writing a book. It was well known also by the Mayor Ray Nauguin. As for the one's that left I'm sure there days of law enforcement are over. For the looting ones they should be arrested. They on tape at Wall Mart. Joseph
                              Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5794 users online. 316 members and 5478 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X