300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for Disaster?

Katrina has highlighted my own flawed attitude to the danger of natural disaster that threatens my home state, has anyone else not directly affected by the hurricane begun to stock up on water and canned foods?
    stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

I don't usually sweat anything until They hint of the first one of the season while it is still a ways off. What they don't mention is that while it is nice to have a stockpile in preparation, outside of 'Caine Season you somehow need to get rid of it or store it for several months out of the year. Some things, like white gas for lanterns, does not keep well in a garage or non-climate controlled area and after a year or 2 in storage they are liable to be useless or evaporated or an insect attractant. I have a dozen single use charcoal grills in my garage that have been there for 10 years, now. I expect them to burn out inside of an hour, since they have been kept so dry. I've had 2 gallon cans of white gas totally evaporate from unopened steel cans. If one threatens our direction, I might pick up a few extra cases of water, but the gallon jugs will spring a leak if it sits in the garage throughout the year simply from expanding and contracting with the temps. I get the 24 oz or smaller single use bottles. Don't ever expect to keep sodas more than a few months if you don't 'fridge them.

I wouldn't over react, although I know you can't prepare for the unknown.

My next home improvement will involve purchasing a small household generator that will allow my 'fridge to run a few hours a day to keep things cool.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

not over-reacting, I know it must seem like a knee jerk reaction, I think it has just brought the obvious to my attention again. We don't have to worry about hurricaines. We have the earthquakes and possible tsunami afterward. The things that I am worried about it how old our house is, and the fact that one half of it is off the ground. I also took a quick inventory and found out that more than half of the first aid was a couple years out of date and minimal. I can't believe that I let that go for so long.....anyway, I guess I am just thinking more seriously about the health of my home, the location of the items and my awareness of the dangers we face here.

Creeker, I don't know how you live in a state that has a hurricane season! that would scare me, but I guess it might be nice and predictictable instead of the vague threat of "the big one". I am just glad that we moved off of the island....
      Last edited by Isla_; 09-22-2005, 12:25 AM. Reason: "hurricaine"??? really!I can understand misspelling machairodont, but "hurricaine"? crikey

chat room

Comment

Yes, I am of the opinion that it is nicer to have to only worry about a distant vague threat than an instant one.

For some reason I was under the impression you were in Gulf Coast Texas when I posted that...sorry. In some cases you would need to be a little better prepared than I, although I would expect many of your nearby shops and stores to be less damaged and able top open for some type of business... unless the whole thing slides off into the Pacific!! In that case, do you have a life raft tied to your pilings?

BTW, I am of the opinion that many expiration dates on things like Tylenol, and Muscle strain cream is very short dated simply so you will discard it and buy more of it. My wife, however, is convinced that they turn into instant poison once the expiration passes.... much to my frustration when she is trying to sleep and needs a pain killer, which results in me having to make a 2AM trip to Walmart.
        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Since this is earthquakes country I have a few things ready to go in the event of power outages and such. Have a few of those wind up flashlights, that surprisingly work pretty well. Also have a couple of the battery powered lanterns to go along side a gas operated one. The battery ones are great, using them camping and it's a little piece of mind with my little kids around. We rotate through a lot of water bottles so we always have a stock pile on hand. As for worse case scenario, we pack the camper with what we need, load up the generator and head to the hills.

Comment

I grew up on the coast and have just gotten used to always having a lot of canned food, water and batteries anyway. You never know what may happen even when its not hurricane season.

I learned how to track a hurricane when I was young and there was always a tracknig map on our refrigerator on day 1 of the season. I know how to tape up windows and how to place boards just the right way on a window if I have to..I have never had to do it, but my dad taught me just in case I needed to do it.

Some people say I am paranoid, but those are the same people who will probably be miserable during a storm when water, lights , etc are gone.

I was a Girl Scout...always prepared.

Comment

I watched the special on Tornadoes on the National Geographic Channel Sunday night,It was referrring to a older Lady seeking shelter in her closet it was a F-5 Tornado the one that hit Oklahoma City in 1999, she had a peice of a 2x4 sticking out of her head,and lived to tell about it,When the Weather service gives warning to take shelter,Swallow your pride and Run ans since its Hurricane Season stock up and be prepared to ride it out or evcauate,Saftey is #1 Priority!

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
                I grew up on the coast and have just gotten used to always having a lot of canned food, water and batteries anyway. You never know what may happen even when its not hurricane season.

I learned how to track a hurricane when I was young and there was always a tracknig map on our refrigerator on day 1 of the season. I know how to tape up windows and how to place boards just the right way on a window if I have to..I have never had to do it, but my dad taught me just in case I needed to do it.

Some people say I am paranoid, but those are the same people who will probably be miserable during a storm when water, lights , etc are gone.

I was a Girl Scout...always prepared.

Daaaaaang styx!! I like your attitude!
                I think my introspective perspective comes from the fact that I USED to always be prepared for the unexpected....but I have slacked off...so now I am rather shaking my head at myself and thinking..."but for the grace of God..." Good news is I have a nice little stock of water and new first aid stuff.

chat room

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
                  Yes, I am of the opinion that it is nicer to have to only worry about a distant vague threat than an instant one.

For some reason I was under the impression you were in Gulf Coast Texas when I posted that...sorry. In some cases you would need to be a little better prepared than I, although I would expect many of your nearby shops and stores to be less damaged and able top open for some type of business... unless the whole thing slides off into the Pacific!! In that case, do you have a life raft tied to your pilings?

BTW, I am of the opinion that many expiration dates on things like Tylenol, and Muscle strain cream is very short dated simply so you will discard it and buy more of it. My wife, however, is convinced that they turn into instant poison once the expiration passes.... much to my frustration when she is trying to sleep and needs a pain killer, which results in me having to make a 2AM trip to Walmart.

lol that is funny about the painkiller turing to poison.....mine were just trying to develop their own ecosystem they were left in the drawer so long.... I think 3-5 years must be some kind of record, somewhere.....

chat room

Comment

Don't consider this comment to be over reacting, but if Katrina taught us anything, it was to not depend on the government to be there for us when the big one comes. All the normal hurricane preparations should be taken, and in addition, be prepared to hit the road when it looks bad. If you stay, be prepared to defend your home and family from the mutants who were less prepared. Unfortunately, that means firearms and enough provisions to last until help arrives. As we have seen, that may not happen for days or even weeks.
                    Jerry
                    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                      Don't consider this comment to be over reacting, but if Katrina taught us anything, it was to not depend on the government to be there for us when the big one comes. All the normal hurricane preparations should be taken, and in addition, be prepared to hit the road when it looks bad. If you stay, be prepared to defend your home and family from the mutants who were less prepared. Unfortunately, that means firearms and enough provisions to last until help arrives. As we have seen, that may not happen for days or even weeks.

I don't think I could agree with you more!

chat room

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6342 users online. 332 members and 6010 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X