300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating money to LEO's affected by Katrina

Please forgive this post if the subject has already been covered.....

I have been watching the news and find myself sickened by the total devastation Katrina has caused. I watched a story on TV two nights ago which focused on the police officers of LA. Most of these LEO have stayed to protect their city streets and help in the recovery efforts, even though they'd lost their own homes, possessions and family members. Most officers haven't even had time to address their own needs (or their families) b/c they have been servicing the needs of their community.

I know that a lot of agencies are giving the victims of Katrina money and aid ~ but is there a special fund set up for these dedicted cops ? I would like to donate whatever I can to help them get back on their feet and resume a more normal life. They have given sooooo much back to their community and have acted so selflessly - I want to do something !!!

Thank you !
    [FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]Oh listen tender lumplings let me take you by the hands...I

Originally posted by Tender Lumpling
    Please forgive this post if the subject has already been covered.....

I have been watching the news and find myself sickened by the total devastation Katrina has caused. I watched a story on TV two nights ago which focused on the police officers of LA. Most of these LEO have stayed to protect their city streets and help in the recovery efforts, even though they'd lost their own homes, possessions and family members. Most officers haven't even had time to address their own needs (or their families) b/c they have been servicing the needs of their community.

I know that a lot of agencies are giving the victims of Katrina money and aid ~ but is there a special fund set up for these dedicted cops ? I would like to donate whatever I can to help them get back on their feet and resume a more normal life. They have given sooooo much back to their community and have acted so selflessly - I want to do something !!!

Thank you !
    I belong to our local credit union (as do most LEO's in the dade and broward). I will try to stop by today and open a special acct for donations for NOPD. What do you think? Should it be for displaced/unemployed LEO's and family? How many families do you think are affected? Should it be used for comforts or emergency funds only? What kind of proof should be required from LEO's in order to qualify for funds? I would not mind paying bills submitted by LEO's showing need. Comments?

Comment

Gosh...I'm not sure how to best organize the effort ?

The interview I saw was with 10 New Orleans LEOs, but I'm sure many more than that have been displaced. The N.O. LEOs that are now unemployed became that way because they abandoned the city and left during the crisis ~ I have no respect or pity for them !!!

They did mention that a lot of the officers still working down in N.O. had families that had to be relocated out of the state. They haven't seen them in weeks !!! Some of the families ended up in shelters, the rest are being put up with family or in hotels (that the officers themselves are paying for.) Most of these officers also lost their homes and have nothing left.

Originally posted by Ninjagirl
      I belong to our local credit union (as do most LEO's in the dade and broward). I will try to stop by today and open a special acct for donations for NOPD. What do you think? Should it be for displaced/unemployed LEO's and family? How many families do you think are affected? Should it be used for comforts or emergency funds only? What kind of proof should be required from LEO's in order to qualify for funds? I would not mind paying bills submitted by LEO's showing need. Comments?
      [FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]Oh listen tender lumplings let me take you by the hands...I

Comment

If you will check the Officer.com home page, you will see several national organizations that are collecting donations for LEO's. Before you open a new account, let's see how those are doing. We often see New Orleans, but forget about the many other departments in La., Miss. and Alabama that are struggling. There are many small town PD's that have yet to see FEMA or the Red Cross.
        Jerry
        "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3956 users online. 249 members and 3707 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X