300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line of Duty Deaths in the Gulf Coast

Has anyone heard anything about any line of duty deaths as a result of Katrina. With all the death down there, it seems impossible that no Law Enforcement Officers died. 400 New Orleans officers are unaccounted for. Unfortunately, some of them are dead, I would think.

Anyone hear anything? There has been NOTHING in the news, which could be because they want to notify families first or they just don't know.

Any info would be helpful.

I hear a lot of rumors, being that I work in Baton Rouge.

I've heard of atleast 5 that drowned and 2 that committed suicide (one after he learned that his wife and kids had drowned)

Comment

The only thing I saw on the news was the two suicides. Our local news in South Florida reported that a reporter was shot & wounded, but haven't heard about other LEOs.

Comment

Yeah, I heard about the suicides. Those are not line of duty deaths.

Comment

I suspect that when the water goes down they will find lots of dead cops and other ems workers. I don't think as many walked off the job as they think. Any way my .02 is that you get your family situated and come back to work as soon as possible. I don't have a problem with the officers who took off to do that, if they are reporting back when they are able. It is the ones who joined the criminals that I have a problem with.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

I think it will be quite some time before we have any kind of count, and I'm afraid it will be high.

With the number of deaths they are projecting, the percentage of police officers could well surpass the toll from 9/11.

God bless them all
            Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I don't want to start a war... but I really feel the suicides *are* line-of-duty deaths. Considering the circumstances. Not justifying, not condoning by any means. (my heart just shatters... )

I don't know the technicalities. But I can't help think that a plumber or a WalMart clerk might have had a different reaction and not succumbed to the stress the way those two men did. I *would* say it was a result of the job.

My thoughts and prayers are constantly with the men and women fighting for their lives and their livelyhoods down there. I cannot even imagine.

Comment

Suicides have NEVER been Line of Duty deaths and they never will be. Their deaths are very tragic, but are not Line of Duty. They will not be considered Line of Duty by any state memorial or by the NLEOMF.

Sure a plumber or a Walmart may have reacted diffrent, but that's not relevant.

Comment

Officer suicides have never nor do I suspect they ever will be considered Line of Duty Deaths. Tragic, yes
                  In Valor there is Hope
                  --Tactitus--

Comment

Originally posted by SW4747
                    Suicides have NEVER been Line of Duty deaths and they never will be. Their deaths are very tragic, but are not Line of Duty. They will not be considered Line of Duty by any state memorial or by the NLEOMF.
                    I agree with the technicality that suicide is not a Line of Duty death, but it is definitely job related.

In the United States a cop committs suicide every 22 hours. Even under "normal" circumstances. Maybe the attention given to Sgt. Paul Accardo's suicide will bring more attention and resources to this issue. That many people taking their lives should not be! In many cases administration doesn't pay out survivor benefits because "it wasn't job related" or it "wasn't the job" that caused the stress that lead to the suicide. What else was it then?

Life begins at 40...

Comment

B. Staude

I Have Not Heard Any Thing About The Officers Down There. But I Do Have A Friend There Mike Fejka. If Any Body Know Him Or Knows How To Get In Touch With The Nopd Please Let Me Know. Thanks
                      Please Keep All The Officers That Were In The Alabama,mississippi And New Orleans Area In Your Prayers.

Comment

Killed in the line of duty

There are reports that a officer was shot in the head.
                        The world is yours, it just depends on how you take.

Comment

The officer shot in the head was not life threatening.

There are no reports of on duty deaths.
                          sigpic
                          The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
                          PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

I got a vm from my FLEO friend, sorry i missed his call but it was obvious that he was having great difficulty breathing (asthma) and complained of the overwhelming stench. I hope his asthma doesnt interfere with his tour...I know it is something he wants to do....

Comment

Anyone hear anything more?

It will be a miracle if no LEO died in this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6320 users online. 313 members and 6007 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X