Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Leaders comments

Colombia's El Pais

Today, in important areas of the Gulf of Mexico and, in particular, New Orleans there is a terrifying panorama of desolation and millions of human beings who live in the most powerful country in the world are suffering the tragedy of a catastrophe that is difficult to imagine.

Taipei's Taiwan News

New Orleans may go down in history as the first major city in an advanced country to be lost to the process of global warming... We sincerely hope that the Bush administration will take the call from Hurricane Katrina and reconsider its energy and environmental policies and replace ostrich-like escapism with leadership in the global effort to deal with the crisis of global climatic change.

Hong Kong's Ta Kung Pao

This Katrina hurricane is a 'warning' by God over President Bush's reactionary behaviour on the Kyoto Protocol. The US government should wake up from this big disaster, truly take up its responsibilities as a great nation, and become the forerunner in protecting the global climate.

Australia's The Daily Telegraph

Katrina has wrecked not only the physical corporality of civilization. Now there are unmistakable signs in the hurricane's aftermath of the collapse of ordered society. Communication has become virtually impossible. There is no power, no fuel, no food. And looters are at work. This in the United States, the most powerful nation that has ever been.

Israel's Ma'ariv

The American meteorological service provided real-time precise information but the leadership failed in preparing for the anger of the weather...What is scary after Katrina is to see the biggest superpower in the world helpless, even if temporarily.

China's Renmin Wang

This hurricane disaster, while bringing huge harm to human resources and property for the residents of New Orleans, has also provided a rare opportunity for the White House to regain extensive popular support... the losses are far greater than in the 9/11 terrorist attack, therefore 'Katrina' has brought a most arduous test for Bush.

Sweden's Dagens Nyheter

The disaster is obviously a challenge for Bush... like every predecessor, he is thinking of his lasting reputation. And, if you will excuse the expression, he does not want to see that reputation blown apart.

Denmark's Kristeligt Dagblad

Every natural disaster comes in two waves. First the wind and rain arrives, then the political storm.

France's Le Monde

The disaster could become a trump card for the White House if it allows the Iraq war and its opponents to fade into the background.

Germany's Sueddeutsche Zeitung

But if he [Bush] fails to get a grip on the chaos within a few days, his words could become his undoing.

Germany's Die Tageszeitung

The fast and safe evacuation was white, leaving behind poor black people, as if time had stood still between the racial unrest of the sixties and today.

Prague's Hospodarske Noviny

Not even the monstrous Katrina will drag the USA into recession.

Romania's Gardianul

Bush's desperate efforts to redress the situation did not stop the virulent criticism aimed at his 'indifference'... on the first day of the hurricane [he] was still on holiday.

Spain's ABC

What is certain is that the tragedy has that has razed to the ground the states of Louisiana and Mississippi has shown up the weak flanks of a country which, taken up in the last few years with its imperial adventures, has ignored matters that are much more important for the well-being of its citizens.

Israel's Yediot Aharonot

Scores of 'mini' blunders in the giant American blunder that included loss of control, lack of a chain of command, heavy fog with all that has to do with the distribution of powers and the chatter-stricken elected public figures.

Palestinian Al-Hayat al-Jadidah

We sympathize with the American people in their predicament after Hurricane Katrina. But the real hurricane is the Iraqi resistance that does not target innocent [Americans].

Brazil's O Globo

One of the pillars of the Bush era has been his ability to connect with middle America. Will Bush be thrown a lifeline, thanks to the hurricane? Or, disconnected from his popular support base, will he limp on as a governor that does not govern - the lame duck of American political jargon - until the end of his term?

Australia's The Sydney Morning Herald

Though its death toll is much lower [than the Asian tsunami], in one respect Katrina may be more shocking: the possibility that human activity contributed to the hurricane's strength... Even small changes in temperature can produce disproportionately large weather events.

South Africa's Mercury

There must be truth to the adage that when the United States of America sneezes, the whole world will catch its cold.

El Salvador El Diario de Hoy

It is difficult to make light of one fact: that climate changes are at play, which are causing increasingly violent events... Katrina was just a warning.
    MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Thanks AMG. Did I read correctly that the Palastinians were the only ones to express sympathy?
    "Ever watchful o'er me and mine; Ever gratful for the Thin Blue Line..."

Comment

What's the point? Do we really need to be divisive right now? NOLA is still flooded, there is still looting going on and there are still people dying. Why don't we save the finger pointing for later?
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

You can't solve the problem of the aftermath without addressing the larger underlying problem.....THAT"S THE POINT!! We caused this turmoil and just like all the people that still smoke, we have been warned for some time now by people with the knowledge to understand science.... but the only thing that that means to Bush is that he would lose precious oil money... and we can't have THAT now can we....

Comment

........so let's keep giving those tax breaks to SUV owners!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bouchard1129
            You can't solve the problem of the aftermath without addressing the larger underlying problem.....THAT"S THE POINT!! We caused this turmoil and just like all the people that still smoke, we have been warned for some time now by people with the knowledge to understand science.... but the only thing that that means to Bush is that he would lose precious oil money... and we can't have THAT now can we....
            Isn't there a room where you can hook up with other Bush bashers. Believe it or not, some of us "public servants" who have taken an oath to defend the United States from " all enemies foreign and domestic" are getting a little weary of the non stop blather. Dems would have screwed this catastrophy up just as bad, so let it go and provide some positive input. How much oil money do you think Bush has anyway?
            Jerry
            "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Gotta go with Jerry on this one.

Some have obviously missed that Bush admitted that he, as leader of the federal portion of the relief effort, made some significant mistakes? Neither the mayor of NOLA or the LA Governor has done that. They are the first link in the chain that was broken a long time before the storm ever formed. Mock hurricane drills warned of just the FUBAR that has happened and they did NOTHING to fix the problems. The local authorities left local residents unable to leave unassisted to drown and starve. How is that Bush's fault. Did Bush fail to have people evacuated, fail to place food & water in shelters, fail to accept offers of federal assistance, fail to use avaialble buses to transport the evacuees? Nope. Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin dropped the ball there. Somehow all the Bush bashers seem to conveniently forget that. As soon as anyone tries to cast part of the blame on them, the Democrats suddenly talk about how this is no time to be playing the blame game; there are people in need. When the President proposes a bi-partisan panel investigate the events before and after the storm, the Dems want nothing to do with it. Give me a break! You people need to get back to reality.
              God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                Isn't there a room where you can hook up with other Bush bashers. Believe it or not, some of us "public servants" who have taken an oath to defend the United States from " all enemies foreign and domestic" are getting a little weary of the non stop blather. Dems would have screwed this catastrophy up just as bad, so let it go and provide some positive input. How much oil money do you think Bush has anyway?

I'm not a Democrat, and if you would have read clearly I'm not commenting on the mistakes Bush made after Katrina, Im talking about the big picture and all that led up to Katrina and other major natural disasters. Our country alone is making one of the most significant contributions to the destruction of our ecosystem which in part is helping to cause the intensity of these natural phenomena. Our generation is already feeling the effects of this destruction so you can imagine what kind of burden our children are going to have on their shoulders. If our politicians keep ignoring the problem we are going to have many more of these horrible occurences. We need to stop looking at how the government is handling it afterwards and start finding ways to prevent it. With CEO's of huge corporations in our political system or influencing the system we will never be able to take a grasp on the environmental issue (unless of course it benefits them financially ). The people are so worried about the gas prices, they are really going to have something to worry about when we run out. And YES we are gonna run out (not that I have knoweledge to predict when) but that is why we term them NON-RENEWABLE NATURAL RESOURCES

Comment

Gee I think every time our gov't does something it should get the input of third world countries too after all third world paradises must be doing something right. I wonder how Iran and North Korea can help us with other problems.

Comment

Do I sense sarcasm????

Comment

Do you honestly believe that CEO's of large corporations don't care about this country? If we run out of fossil fuel they will suffer too. Trust me, they are smarter than most of us when it comes to making sure the resources are there when we (and they) need them. I can't blame everyone else when I personally like to stay cool in the summer, warm in the winter and, I like to drive my car ( not a hummer because I can't afford it). I refuse to blame my country for natural disasters and I am proud of the way we ALWAYS respond when other countries have a problem, whether natural or man made. We're not perfect because we're human, but I do get weary of the constant anti American sentiments here and elsewhere. And seriously, does anyone take the opinion of these third world country to heart? There, I said it.
                      Jerry

Comment

They have so much more insight into our f*cked up country than any of us do ..... Ignorance is only bliss for the ingnorant, it makes ME wanna puke. CEO's care about our country! PAH HAH HAH HAH!!!!!!! just like you care about a day in the life of a piece of dirt......

Comment

haha and you think they are gonna suffer over the low fossil fuels??? hahaha they hold the largest percentage of wealth in the world. and by the way who do you think is controlling these resources of ours???? I'm sure they will remember to share when the time comes....

Comment

and this is not "anti-american".........this is the result of someone educating themselves instead of flocking with the sheep........

Comment

Originally posted by Bouchard1129
                              and this is not "anti-american".........this is the result of someone educating themselves instead of flocking with the sheep........
                              You are a young, inexperienced naive student. Keep studying, you're not quite at "expert level." Yet.
                              Jerry

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6108 users online. 346 members and 5762 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X