300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ccthompsfs
    ... If the National Guard, LAPD, and LASD can restore order in LA without shooting looters so can LEO's and National Guard in NO.
    I'm not so sure. N.O. doesn't have to be as PC as L.A. does.

They can pretty much mean business and are not mandated to "bargain with the poor, unresponsible and misunderstood" dreggs of their society.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

MSNBC just reported that 20% of New Orleans police officers are not showing up for duty.

Its a disgusting scene to watch. I cant even get into it right now.

Comment

Yeah, I say screw the NOPD. Get more military support down there.

Off topic question; when was the last time martial law was declared in America?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law

"Hurricane Katrina

Contrary to many media reports, martial law has not been declared in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, because no such term exists in Louisiana state law[4]. Rather, a state of emergency has been declared, which does give some powers similar to that of martial law. On the evening of August 31, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin did declare "martial law" (in name at least) in the city and said that "officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters."

As for the first time..ironicly may be this.. " During War of 1812 , General Andrew Jackson imposed martial law after liberating the encampment of New Orleans."

Comment

http://www.dummocrats.com/links/view...hread_id=34463

National Guard scanner..click on the icon that says Hurrican Katrina

Comment

I think 80% showing up is probably doing good.

1. Who knows if they can even get to work with all the flooding.

2. If their families stayed at home, I for one wouldn't say "hey honey you keep on hanging out on the roof just 2 feet above the water with the 2 year old daughter and newborn while I go to work mmmmmkay".

3. Who knows how many are dead.
              Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Once again, folks....what the hell is with this "screw the NOPD" crap????

You aren't there, you don't have to deal with what they're dealing with, and if your NOT a copper, stop bashing my brothers and sisters.

As I stated in another related thread, it's pretty easy to sit in your air conditioned home looking at all this on TV and nit pick. Knock it off...the media does enough of that for us.

Having gone through a tropical storm almost exactly a year ago that dropped 14 inches of rain and flooded a good portion of my city....up to 15 feet in some places due to poor drainage....it's impossible to get to some people, or even know where they are.

Luckily, the water receded quickly, and we didn't have to go through what they are going through in N.O. But there were deaths and damage, some of which is still not repaired.

Support, don't criticize. The officers that were reported to be looting, if that actually occurred, can be dealt with later. The ones that are there busting there asses under deplorable conditions deserve better.

But, that's just my opinion
                Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by JustDontDie
                  Yeah, I say screw the NOPD. Get more military support down there.

Off topic question; when was the last time martial law was declared in America?
                  Uncool... Dont be so quick to critize the police they are charged with a nearly impossible task. They are doing a hell of a job for what they have to work with.

Comment

International News - AAP

Refugees Storm Superdome Evacuations

At the front of the line, the weary refugees from Hurricane Katrina waded through ankle-deep water, grabbed a bottle of water from state troopers and boarded buses that would deliver them from the horrendous conditions of New Orleans' Superdome.

At the back end of the line, people jammed against police barricades in the rain. Refugees passed out and had to be lifted hand-over-hand overhead to medics.

Pets were not allowed on the bus, and when a police officer confiscated a little boy's dog, the child cried until he vomited. "Snowball, snowball," he cried.

The scene played out as the plodding procession out of the Superdome entered its second day - an evacuation that became more complicated as thousands more storm victims showed up at the arena.

Captain John Pollard of the Texas Air Force National Guard said 20,000 people were in the dome when the evacuation efforts began.

By Thursday afternoon, the number had swelled to about 30,000. Pollard said people poured into the Superdome because they believed it was the best place to get a ride out of town.

The refugees began arriving on Thursday at the Astrodome in Houston, where they got a shower, a hot meal and a cool place to sleep. Texas Governor Rick Perry said at least 75,000 Hurricane Katrina refugees will be coming to Texas.

The dozens of Australians trapped in New Orleans are also expected to be bussed to Houston.

"I would rather have been in jail," Janice Jones said in obvious relief at being out of the dome. "I've been in there seven days and I haven't had a bath. They treated us like animals. Everybody is scared."

Miranda Jones, her daughter, was standing next to her, carrying her father's ashes - the only thing they were able to save from her house before Hurricane Katrina blasted New Orleans.

An angry Terry Ebbert, head of New Orleans' emergency operations, watched the slow exodus from the Superdome and said the Federal Emergency Management Agency response was inadequate.

The chaos at the nearby New Orleans Convention Centre was considerably worse than the Superdome, with an angry mob growing increasingly violent and few options for refugees to leave the scene.

"This is a national disgrace. FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control," Ebbert said. "We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims, but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

After a day in line in the heat without water or food, dozens of people fell out. Medics poured water on them, fanned them, and tried to cool them down.

One woman, lying on a canvas cot, was in convulsions. Medics doused her with water and slapped her, trying to bring her around.

A National Guardsman poured water on a baby he held while water was also poured on her mother.

The tile floor got wetter and wetter, and some people slipped and fell.

Meanwhile, the crowd kept growing as stranded people heard about the buses and headed to the dome.

By early Thursday afternoon, a line of people a kilometre long snaked from the Superdome through the nearby Hyatt Regency Hotel, then to where buses waited.

State troopers, making every effort to be cheerful, handed out bottles of water and tried to keep families and groups together.

At one point, the guards held up the line so a young teen at the front could go get her sister, farther back.

The situation in the back of the line was vastly different.

National Guardsmen stood side by side with rifles. Luggage, bags of clothes, pillows, blankets were strewn in the puddles.

After a teenager was taken away by police for fighting, Captain John Pallerre of the Texas Air Force National Guard told the crowd on public address: "We can't have people fighting. I have kids here who are crying and frightened and can't find their parents. Be adults. We're going to get you out of here. It takes a while. I'm not God. If I was, you'd all be home with your family."

After a traffic jam kept buses from arriving at the Superdome for nearly four hours, a near riot broke out in the scramble to get on the buses that finally showed up.

At one point a man held a tiny baby high over his head. A woman pointed to an elderly man in a wheelchair - hoping to get the attention of National Guard troops who were taking the old and infirm to buses first.

A woman in tank top and shorts, her teeth chattering, was taken from the sea of people and into the line heading through a shopping mall and conference centre and back out to buses waiting blocks from the dome. She cuddled her baby, who wore only a nappy.

While refugees waited for a ride to Houston, the air ambulance service in charge of taking the sick and injured from the Superdome suspended flights after a shot was reported fired at a military helicopter. Richard Zuschlag, chief of Acadian Ambulance, said it was too dangerous for his pilots.

A fire erupted in a rubbish chute inside the dome, but a National Guard commander said it did not affect the evacuation.

The first buses left the Superdome late Wednesday and officials in Texas said 2,000 people had already arrived at the Astrodome, some 563km away, by late Thursday morning.

Besides the 25,000 or so hurricane refugees being brought to Houston, officials said another 25,000 would be taken to San Antonio and other locations.

The Astrodome's new residents will be issued passes that will let them leave and return as they please, something that wasn't permitted in New Orleans.

Organisers also plan to find ways to help the refugees contact relatives.

Australians Tell Of New Orleans Horror

Australians trapped in New Orleans have been threatened at gunpoint and witnessed harrowing scenes of looting and violence as they try to escape the flooded city.

More than 50 Australians, mostly tourists, were in the historic city or other parts of the Gulf of Mexico hit by Hurricane Katrina, one of the worst natural disasters to strike the United States.

There have been no reports of Australians among the dead and injured but several Australian citizens are unaccounted for.

Australian tourists have been forced to sleep rough under highway overpasses or huddle in the damaged Louisiana Superdome with frightened locals, desperate for food and fresh sanitation.

Some trying to flee the devastation have been turned back at gunpoint.

And with the city descending into lawlessness, others have told relatives back home of fearing for their lives as armed gangs of looters roam the streets.

Even inside New Orleans' huge Superdome, where up to 30,000 sheltered from the hurricane, foreign tourists did not feel safe.

Brisbane man Peter McNeil said his 22-year-old son John was in the huge sports stadium but fled with 60 other foreigners, including 10 Australians, as violence and tension took hold.

"He's never been so scared in his life. He just said they had to get out of the dark otherwise, another night, he said, they would have gone," he told ABC radio.

"He said the tension was just building so much it was impossible to stay in there."

Speaking later from the relative safety of a hotel, John McNeil told his mother, Mary, how a security guard protected them from an angry mob as they fled the Superdome.

"They've been through hell and back in that dome," Mrs McNeil said.

"It's a horrific situation because rapes, murders and stabbings were happening right in front of them."

Rockhampton couple Tim and Joanne Miller have been living under a bridge in the warehouse district of the city for the past four days.

Their daughter, Tamara, said Mr Miller, 54, had been threatened by a guard at gunpoint as the couple tried to board a bus to escape.

Her parents were too afraid to leave a group of local people sleeping rough under the bridge for fear of lawless gangs nearby.

"A seven-year-old girl was raped and murdered right near where they are," Ms Miller said.

"There is a big mob of gun-wielding people right near them."

Some Australians are missing, including 27-year-old Fiona Seidel from Brisbane, who was in the middle of a five-week tour of the US with her sister-in-law when they became trapped in New Orleans.

A family spokesman said they lost contact with Ms Seidel shortly after Hurricane Katrina crossed the coast.

Also unaccounted for is 22-year-old Vanessa Cullington, of Sydney, who has been in the US since June working at a Camp Counsellors USA youth camp.

Her mother, Sharon, and boyfriend, Toby Salmon, flew out of Sydney with photographs of Ms Cullington to find her.

Sharon Cullington said her daughter was among the thousands who took refuge inside the Superdome and she now feared for her safety.

Sharon Whyte of Victoria said her mother Pamela and sister Karen were in New Orleans but not handling the situation very well.

"She said they're just terrified."

Other Australians believed to be trapped in New Orleans include Jacqueline and Stephen Baruch of Sydney.

The Australian Embassy in Washington has urged any Australians trapped in the disaster area to obey and follow the lead of US authorities.

A temporary consulate is being set up in Houston, Texas, where evacuees from New Orleans are being taken.

Comment

Some of you people are so wrong that it is stupid for me to even reply to your asinine observations. How the Hell can you shoot a person out after curfew, when no one has any place to go to but on the street as the shelters (what there are of them ) are full and people are just walking around looking for help 24/7 I have no problem shooting people that are just out to steal whatever they can other than food and water or medical supplys but who makes that determination for you on the street and who backs you if you do cap some ******* that is looting a vidio store or a electronics store.

Comment

I was thinking Hati but Somalia is a good analogy also.

You got the gist of Martial Law and it is congress who imposses it.

Here is a few facts about Martial Law

Executive Order 10995: All communications media are to be seized by the Federal Government. Radio, TV, newspapers, CB, Ham, telephones, and the internet will be under federal control. Hence, the First Amendment will be suspended indefinitely.
                        Executive Order 10997: All electrical power, fuels, and all minerals well be seized by the federal government.
                        Executive Order 10998: All food resources, farms and farm equipment will be seized by the government. You will not be allowed to hoard food since this is regulated.
                        Executive Order 10999: All modes of transportation will go into government control. Any vehicle can be seized.
                        Executive Order 11000: All civilians can be used for work under federal supervision.
                        Executive Order 11490: Establishes presidential control over all US citizens, businesses, and churches in time of "emergency."
                        Executive Order 12919: Directs various Cabinet officials to be constantly ready to take over virtually all aspects of the US economy during a State of National Emergency at the direction of the president.
                        Executive Order 13010: Directs FEMA to take control over all government agencies in time of emergency. FEMA is under control of executive branch of the government.
                        Executive Order 12656: "ASSIGNMENT OF EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS RESPONSIBILITIES", "A national emergency is any occurrence, including natural disaster, military attack, technological emergency, or other emergency that seriously degrades or seriously threatens the national security of the United States. Policy for national security emergency preparedness shall be established by the President." This order includes federal takeover of all local law enforcement agencies, wage and price controls, prohibits you from moving assets in or out of the United States, creates a draft, controls all travel in and out of the United States, and much more.
                        Martial law can be declared due to natural disasters, Y2k Crisis, Stock Market crash, no electricity, riots, biological attack, .... anything leading to the breakdown of law and order.

Originally posted by Creeker
                        I am reminded of Somalia in the similarities watching this unfold on tv.

Doesn't "Martial Law" mean in effect the suspension of "Civil Rights" for the most part? Who can decide that martial law goes into effect, and what does the effect of Martial Law have on untieing the hands of LEO's? .
                        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKelly
                          Refugees Storm Superdome Evacuations

"A seven-year-old girl was raped and murdered right near where they are," Ms Miller said.
                          I only wish I was allowed to come down there and have the pleasure of ending the existance of some of the animals that are running the streets. I can't even express the sadness and rage I feel reading some of the reports coming out of NO.

Hunting season is officially "open".

Kill those bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bulldog
                            I only wish I was allowed to come down there and have the pleasure of ending the existance of some of the animals that are running the streets. I can't even express the sadness and rage I feel reading some of the reports coming out of NO.

Hunting season is officially "open".

Kill those bastards!
                            That sums up the feeling of pretty much my whole town ... I know of some people who want to form a militia and go down to New Orleans and retake the streets if the National Guard dosent act withen 24 hours.

Comment

Here is what I say, Looters, Shoot to Kill food or not...looters are looters, Fire upon a rescue helicpoter helo return fire any innocents are casualties of consequence, Screw people thinking that the government should hand everything back for free these people were given more than adequate warning to leave, poor or not where there is a will there a way. Some sit there on the news and say "it may take a while but we shall rebuild, while others say "We want help We want help." Also Screw those that think this is some grand scheme of Racism, for those of you that want to pull the card go to hell, find another time to stand on your pulpit and cry poor me poor me.

-Ok glad to have that out.
                              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

I actually saw a lady last night complaining aboutthe food she was given. Get this, it was MRE's, the same food our troops have been living on for quite a while. The nerve of some people. Next, I guess they'll complain that the busses aren't comfortable enough.
                                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3386 users online. 236 members and 3150 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X