X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ehd
    Forum Member
    • May 2016

Armed Occupations

This article has some valuable tips on managing armed occupations. https://medium.com/homeland-security...522#.badyzzim1
  • CCCSD
    Shadowman
    • Jul 2014

Spam much?

Comment

• ehd
      Forum Member
      • May 2016

Thanks for the feedback. Since I'm new to this, what is the acceptable way to share concepts found in an article that has been published?

Comment

• slamdunc
        JAFO
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ehd
        Since I'm new to this, what is the acceptable way to share concepts found in an article that has been published?
        When you say 'published', that would infer that it was in a reputable trade publication or periodical. Is that the case here?

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

• ehd
          Forum Member
          • May 2016

Again, I'm new to this, and I appreciate your insight. I thought the value of the content of the article would be the determining factor as to whether it should be shared or not. I saw an article that I thought was a good starting point to learn and engage in discussion, and decided to share it. If that is not the accepted standard in this forum, I will forgo doing that in the future.

Comment

• slamdunc
            JAFO
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ehd
            I thought the value of the content of the article would be the determining factor as to whether it should be shared or not. I saw an article that I thought was a good starting point to learn and engage in discussion, and decided to share it. If that is not the accepted standard in this forum, I will forgo doing that in the future.
            The value of the content of any article is subjective and when the author's target-audience is a group of law enforcement officers, it can be received with skepticism and angst. You must understand, this forum has been inundated with sleeper trolls of late. As for linking articles, I do it all the time and sometimes it goes over well and other times it's like farting in a space-suit.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

• CCCSD
              Shadowman
              • Jul 2014

We, for the most part, don't need to be told HOW to do our jobs.
              This "article" is just basic information regurgitated again and again.

Comment

• ehd
                Forum Member
                • May 2016

Understood. Thanks again.

Comment

• ehd
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2016

CCCSD, I apologize if it came across as telling professionals how to do their job. I was attempting to initiate a discussion to learn if anyone had any insight to handling armed occupations. Apparently I offended you, but that was not my intent.

Comment

• CCCSD
                    Shadowman
                    • Jul 2014

No sweat. May I suggest next time, phrase a question, then quote the report. Putting up a link, without content and discussion, is not a good way to engage. You also fail to posit WHY it's a concern to you and what your background is.

Comment

• ehd
                      Forum Member
                      • May 2016

Good advice. I am a 32 year law enforcement veteran. My boss asked me to do some research on the topic to discover any best practices.

Comment

• HI629
                        Mustang Sally
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ehd
                        Good advice. I am a 32 year law enforcement veteran. My boss asked me to do some research on the topic to discover any best practices.
                        Wow! A 32 year LE veteran. You must have been one of the guys who used a PR-24. Which do you prefer a PR-24 or ASP?
                        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

• ehd
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2016

PR-24, but currently carry the ASP because it is standard issue.

Comment

• HI629
                            Mustang Sally
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ehd
                            PR-24, but currently carry the ASP because it is standard issue.

Sure wish I could carry a PR-24.
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

• ehd
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2016

While it was a versatile tool that was interesting to learn, it did have drawbacks. The main drawback was getting in and out of a patrol car with it on your duty belt. It was awkward to always wear it because it got tangled in the seatbelt. However, I tried to be faithful to always have it on my belt. Some of my fellow officers didn't and left it in the car in a holder on the car door, which was more comfortable while sitting in the patrol car. The theory was to ring it when you exited the patrol car, but many times officers forgot to do so. When they needed it, it was back in the car. Another draw back, which is the same for any straight, non-collapsable baton, was that it made running difficult. Monadnock later manufactured a collapsable PR-24 that was a bit more convenient for constant carry. I used it for a while, but I didn't like it as well as the original.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19124 users online. 45 members and 19079 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...