300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WiscoTangoFoxtrot View Post
    Eventually I'd like to be able to purchase or construct a large (like, small shed-size) Faraday cage to hold all my gear. Planning some pretty big radio purchases within the next few years to add to my HAM shack. I also have a bunch of cheap handhelds and some older gear stored up north still, mostly to tinker around with and for parts. TYTs, BaoFengs and the like. ...Oh so many different ways I could go with that Juice reference, ha.

One of my old friends was always looking for a way to maximize the ground on his vehicles outside of EMP-proofing, but more interested in tooling around with the possibilities of ammo cans for portability. He liked his radio equipment to be easily mobile- that's where some of us got the ammo can idea. Not the greatest I guess, but it's better than nothing when you're going for cheap.
    Keep going for the mobile idea. As Patton said: "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man." A design we used was grounded to the hull (immersed in saltwater, obviously) and used metal framing with cables that provided minimal resistance to the HY-80 steel which was in the water. I'd think you can devise a grounding effect by making and keeping a solid connection to the vehicle frame that you can attach to a piece of re-bar (grind down and sharpen one end) and smack it into the ground with a small 3 pound sledge, and bolt it to your pre-prepared connection. As long as you keep the contacts immaculately clean, it should work. Where you're from, that requires a weekly (or monthly at least) cleaning of the connecting surfaces. Just Ideas.
    BT
    Iowa, I like you're quotes at the bottom of your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Flank3 View Post
      Keep going for the mobile idea. As Patton said: "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man." A design we used was grounded to the hull (immersed in saltwater, obviously) and used metal framing with cables that provided minimal resistance to the HY-80 steel which was in the water. I'd think you can devise a grounding effect by making and keeping a solid connection to the vehicle frame that you can attach to a piece of re-bar (grind down and sharpen one end) and smack it into the ground with a small 3 pound sledge, and bolt it to your pre-prepared connection. As long as you keep the contacts immaculately clean, it should work. Where you're from, that requires a weekly (or monthly at least) cleaning of the connecting surfaces. Just Ideas.
      BT
      Iowa, I like you're quotes at the bottom of your posts.
      turn on your messaging
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Messaging here? I cannot find that option.
        Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Flank3 View Post
          Messaging here? I cannot find that option.
          Please advise.
          My Profile
          My Account
          General Stettings
          Merssage and Notifications
          Private Messaging
          (turn on Private Messaging)
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you.
            Done.
            Keep it tight and be safe.
            V/r
            Flank3

Comment

There wasn't any emergency communication for some time after Katrina. Smoke signals and gunshots in the air.

Comment

I'm thinking of maybe bringing up a HAM group here, if the mods allow. We'd do a check in at a mutually agreed time and day each week or so and just practice some morse or shoot the bull. Anyone interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  There are a number of us hams on this forum

I am General Class who has been licensed since 2001
                  Hams? On here??

Are you referring to the narcissistic attention seekers or the radio communicators?

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                    Iowa #1603 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Both...............

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12471 users online. 510 members and 11961 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X