Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NvrDwn
    replied
    On my last ridealong we did 3 search warrants (didn't find any of the suspects) two tickets and a felony arrest close to the end of the shift.

Leave a comment:

• FC13
    replied
    Sounds exciting!

Leave a comment:

• sanitizer
    replied
    Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
    I'd say it depends on the officer's mood as well. I went on some ridealongs were we went the whole the shift, and then ended up chatting another 2-3 hours over. Good things.

Definitely remember my worst: I was a reserve applicant for a mid-sized agency. During "lunch", my ridealong officer met with another officer. All they could talk about was how bad their agency was, how they were trying to lateral out and the agencies they wanted to work for...to each other, acted as if I wasn't even there. On the actual ridealong, the officer "forgot" I was out of the car with him on an F.I. Got a call and ran off to his vehicle, and took off down the street without me. Then after he came back, he parked 2 streets down and over from a 245 incident (no weapons, just a bottle and fists), windows up, doors locked, no AC for about 2 hours. Then he went back to station and left me there without saying anything to the WC. Waited for about 10 minutes for him to respond by radio, to which he replied he was busy. WC rolled his eyes and told me at that point just to go home.

I ended up getting DQ'd from that agency anyways, so it worked out.

Are you sure he forgot?

From my experience a negative Ride-a- long is more prevalent when Officers are arbitrarily assigned. IMO Departments should utilize volunteer Officers. Perhaps a thread soliciting officers viewpoints on Ride-a- longs is in order.
    Last edited by sanitizer; 09-14-2012, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Try2Live4God
    replied
    I would love to a go on a ride-along. Not sure if NYPD has something like that though. Will need to check.

Leave a comment:

• hewinflorida
    replied
    I went on a few ride-alongs with the local agency near me. I had a great time. On my first ride-along, I got to ride the whole shift. It was a 3-11 shift. I got to see a few traffic stops and someone get arrested. On the second ride-along, they had changed procedures because of a shooting incident with ride-alongs in the cars. I only got to ride for four hours, and it had to be with an FTO or a Sergent. I had fun on that one too. We got called to a few traffic accidents, and I got to see what it was like racing across the county with the lights and sirens on... talk about an adreneline rush. After doing both ride-alongs, I knew I wanted to become a police officer. Now I start the academy in January of 2013.

Leave a comment:

• GreenZone09
    replied
    Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
    Don't let one person's experience stop you from doing a ride along. I did two not too long ago in smaller sized departments in NH. The officers I rode with were both young guys who VOLUNTEERED to take ride alongs. They were not forced--this makes all the difference. They even told me at the beginning, "ask a million questions, I don't mind at all." Needless to say, I had a great time both times I went out. Lots of laughs and I learned a lot too.
    'Volunteered' or 'volun-told'? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• KAndersen73
    replied
    A couple other good stations are Century and East LA. These stations will definately keep you busy! If you do your Jail tour I would suggest MCJ great eye opener to humanity at its finest.

Leave a comment:

• local smoke
    replied
    I'm glad you had a good time on your ride a long. Lost Hills is a nice station, but you should check out Lennox or Industry if you want a busier LASD station. Or check out surrounding Local Agencies such as Gardena or Hawthorne. Those are relatively small cities with more action than you could believe!!

Leave a comment:

• drwilso87
    replied
    When I went on one with the agency I work for now I got to spend the whole day with them. Ended up going with them to do a search warrant, and got to sit in on an interrogation...thats when I found out exactly what I wanted to do

Leave a comment:

• eugeney
    replied
    nypd offers only 2 hrs of ride along. which suckss

Leave a comment:

• drwilso87
    replied
    I would like to do two in two different districts since I am applying from out of state.

Leave a comment:

• redsox2010
    replied
    Originally posted by drwilso87 View Post
    I was planning on scheduling a ride along I think I will pass now, that sounds like a sucky day.
    Don't let one person's experience stop you from doing a ride along. I did two not too long ago in smaller sized departments in NH. The officers I rode with were both young guys who VOLUNTEERED to take ride alongs. They were not forced--this makes all the difference. They even told me at the beginning, "ask a million questions, I don't mind at all." Needless to say, I had a great time both times I went out. Lots of laughs and I learned a lot too.

Leave a comment:

• drwilso87
    replied
    I was planning on scheduling a ride along I think I will pass now, that sounds like a sucky day.

Leave a comment:

• c.whicker
    replied
    ******Deleted******
    Last edited by WESTBOUND90012; 03-02-2017, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• avalon42
    replied
    post deleted
    Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5286 users online. 312 members and 4974 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X