X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beungood
    started a topic Amphibious ATV's

Amphibious ATV's

Anyone out there use Amphibious 6 or 8 wheel ATV's for Rescue?

• MN Cop Hopeful
    replied
    Hello, I live in Minnesota and I know of several fire departments that use a locally built machine called a Wilcraft. It's part ATV and part johnboat. Originally created for ice fishing and for duck hunting, it was adapted by the company to be a ice rescue unit. I am not sure if this is what you were looking for, but for the several ice rescues I have seen (both real and training) it seems to be fairly effective.

I'm not sure if they are still making the rescue model or not, but if you can always reach out and contact them.

https://www.thewilcraft.com/

Leave a comment:

• Flank3
    replied
    Former AAV rider here. When the water goes above the tracks, you engage the waterjets. It is slow, like 5 MPH (4 knots) on the jets. The interior fills up with diesel fumes pretty quick, poor air circulation, and the queasy start puking. One oopsy and you all drown.
    You can go from there. On land, maybe 25mph on pavement. I did this launching from an LPD off the coast and going into a beach.
    If you are fording a water crossing, it might be good, but don't take my advice on that for how much it can take; maybe better than a regular car or truck, but NO magic piece of gear. It will kill you in a hurry. High maintenance. Other than any electronics added to them, they are basically 1940s tech in the underpinnings. Did I mention high maintenance and kill you in a hurry?

Leave a comment:

• NeeCee
    replied
    I am pretty sure you have to be somewhere where there is rough terrain in order to be able to claim that you drive an ATV as a rescue vehicle. Must be a lot of fun, though!

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    Well I'm getting me one of these when I get the chance.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Liz_wyHmvOr5oQ

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    ATV=All Terrain Vehicles, i.e. 4-wheelers, etc.

Leave a comment:

• vietboy1st
    replied
    never heard of ATV but i heard of AAV in the US Marine Corps for infantry guys...

Leave a comment:

replied
    I've driven a few Argos rented for special events. They move like tanks and are not very user friendly. However, in my opinion (I do have significant SAR experience), they would be good in certain situations. Based on my limited exposure to them, I would absolutely not want them to be my mainstay though. I would rather have ATVs and/or Rhino type rigs.

Leave a comment:

• beungood
    replied
    I think I would go with an Argo 8x8 or a Mudd Ox 8x8. Both are well built machines. The inventor of the Mudd Ox designed his machine around the shortcomings of the other two on the market.

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Argo. I can't even think of anyone that has a Max anymore.

They even make SAR variants and accessories. Here you go:

http://www.argoatv.com/utility/stori...BvkPoLCg%3D%3D

Leave a comment:

• beungood
    replied
    We were out in a swamp and one of the Max's blew a drive train (he had a modded engine with rev kit,exhaust and other goodies and was throwing out 55 HP) so we hooked him up to the Argo 6x6 and towed him and the Max out. we even tugged him up over boulders blocking the trail. I think the newer machines are being offered with fuel injection and 30 or 40 horsepower.

one of our friends is a retired leo and paralyzed from the waist down. He has been able to resume hunting and fishing with his Argo 6x6. He has even rigged a platform and electric chain fall in the woods for a stand. He once rescued a hunter who fell from a tree.It was written up in the paper.

Leave a comment:

• SBSO_DISPATCHER
    replied
    I want 1........

Leave a comment:

• fyrdog
    replied
    I've only used the MAX units on a recreational level, and they were very undepowerd compared to the ARGO's I have test driven. I never had a problem with the quality of the MAX, I just found them very lacking in the power deptartment. I also prefered the handle bar steering on the ARG to the twin stick skid steer system on the MAX and the extra size of the ARGO appeared to be an assest as well.

Leave a comment:

• beungood
    replied
    I think I would only consider Argo 8x8 or the Mudd Ox. Id lean toward the latter after seeing what it could do and how the designer corrected some of the shortfalls of the other machines. The build quality would also make me lean this way. Did you have a bad experience with the Max Units?

Leave a comment:

• fyrdog
    replied
    We've looked at them in the past, and liked them but we just couldn't get the funding. Stay away from the MAX ATV's and stick with the larger AGO 8X8's. If you think that you will need more speed on the water ARGO has an optional motor mount for and outboard.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11830 users online. 490 members and 11340 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X