Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beungood
    replied
    I think it would be a pretty decent SAR vehicle depending on the vehicle and how it was outfitted. I started thinking about one of these after a search for someone using the Quad towing a floatable litter trailer. The quad itself doesn't float and only has room for one.

I was out with some friends who had a couple of different models (6x6 versions) that they modified slightly by remving the govener and installing a rev kit. we went through several swamps ,climbed a few hills and leaving we climbed right up over logs and some fairly large boulders that no quad would have been able to climb over. And we were carrying a couple of people in each unit!

I saw an 8x8 version and it had room for 6 or, I thought a litter and two or 3 people(Paramedics) could be rigged with a roof and heater for cold weather. I looked into it a little further and found a newer model (Mudd Ox) that the designer modeled to make up for the downfalls of other models. They are geared pretty low but can tow vehicles depending how they are spec'd. There is even severaL YOUTUBE VIDS of landowners accessing property in Canada and Alaska and fording swift moving water with them. I thought they could be pretty helpful in flooded areas until the Guard comes in with thier equpment or areas too tight for them..They won't break any landspeed records,but, the areas they can reach who wants to go that fast..

Leave a comment:

• BigW
    replied
    Underpowered as an ATV and underpowered as a boat. However, if you are running through sloughs to go duck hunting they are pretty darn sweet. Never used one in a rescue situation though. I would think that a john boat with a mud motor would serve you better if you will be in any real amount of water.

Leave a comment:

• redhawk30540
    replied
    Not used them for rescue but can give you my take on driving them. They would work well for rescue in swamps, snow or ice (with tracks) and areas with standing water. I wouldn't use one in moving water because they just don't have the water power to move around well in rushing water. I have seen a few models out there with a more advanced propulsion system for water but haven't operated one of them.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11184 users online. 444 members and 10740 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X