Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pretty sure you have to be somewhere where there is rough terrain in order to be able to claim that you drive an ATV as a rescue vehicle. Must be a lot of fun, though!

Comment

Former AAV rider here. When the water goes above the tracks, you engage the waterjets. It is slow, like 5 MPH (4 knots) on the jets. The interior fills up with diesel fumes pretty quick, poor air circulation, and the queasy start puking. One oopsy and you all drown.
      You can go from there. On land, maybe 25mph on pavement. I did this launching from an LPD off the coast and going into a beach.
      If you are fording a water crossing, it might be good, but don't take my advice on that for how much it can take; maybe better than a regular car or truck, but NO magic piece of gear. It will kill you in a hurry. High maintenance. Other than any electronics added to them, they are basically 1940s tech in the underpinnings. Did I mention high maintenance and kill you in a hurry?

Comment

Hello, I live in Minnesota and I know of several fire departments that use a locally built machine called a Wilcraft. It's part ATV and part johnboat. Originally created for ice fishing and for duck hunting, it was adapted by the company to be a ice rescue unit. I am not sure if this is what you were looking for, but for the several ice rescues I have seen (both real and training) it seems to be fairly effective.

I'm not sure if they are still making the rescue model or not, but if you can always reach out and contact them.

https://www.thewilcraft.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9507 users online. 387 members and 9120 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X