300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amphibious ATV's

Anyone out there use Amphibious 6 or 8 wheel ATV's for Rescue?

Not used them for rescue but can give you my take on driving them. They would work well for rescue in swamps, snow or ice (with tracks) and areas with standing water. I wouldn't use one in moving water because they just don't have the water power to move around well in rushing water. I have seen a few models out there with a more advanced propulsion system for water but haven't operated one of them.
    Former: K-9/Drug Interdiction Officer

Helicopter pilot "non-LE"

sigpic

Comment

Underpowered as an ATV and underpowered as a boat. However, if you are running through sloughs to go duck hunting they are pretty darn sweet. Never used one in a rescue situation though. I would think that a john boat with a mud motor would serve you better if you will be in any real amount of water.

Comment

I think it would be a pretty decent SAR vehicle depending on the vehicle and how it was outfitted. I started thinking about one of these after a search for someone using the Quad towing a floatable litter trailer. The quad itself doesn't float and only has room for one.

I was out with some friends who had a couple of different models (6x6 versions) that they modified slightly by remving the govener and installing a rev kit. we went through several swamps ,climbed a few hills and leaving we climbed right up over logs and some fairly large boulders that no quad would have been able to climb over. And we were carrying a couple of people in each unit!

I saw an 8x8 version and it had room for 6 or, I thought a litter and two or 3 people(Paramedics) could be rigged with a roof and heater for cold weather. I looked into it a little further and found a newer model (Mudd Ox) that the designer modeled to make up for the downfalls of other models. They are geared pretty low but can tow vehicles depending how they are spec'd. There is even severaL YOUTUBE VIDS of landowners accessing property in Canada and Alaska and fording swift moving water with them. I thought they could be pretty helpful in flooded areas until the Guard comes in with thier equpment or areas too tight for them..They won't break any landspeed records,but, the areas they can reach who wants to go that fast..

Comment

We've looked at them in the past, and liked them but we just couldn't get the funding. Stay away from the MAX ATV's and stick with the larger AGO 8X8's. If you think that you will need more speed on the water ARGO has an optional motor mount for and outboard.
          Forti Fors Bona

Comment

I think I would only consider Argo 8x8 or the Mudd Ox. Id lean toward the latter after seeing what it could do and how the designer corrected some of the shortfalls of the other machines. The build quality would also make me lean this way. Did you have a bad experience with the Max Units?

Comment

I've only used the MAX units on a recreational level, and they were very undepowerd compared to the ARGO's I have test driven. I never had a problem with the quality of the MAX, I just found them very lacking in the power deptartment. I also prefered the handle bar steering on the ARG to the twin stick skid steer system on the MAX and the extra size of the ARGO appeared to be an assest as well.
              Forti Fors Bona

Comment

I want 1........
                Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

We were out in a swamp and one of the Max's blew a drive train (he had a modded engine with rev kit,exhaust and other goodies and was throwing out 55 HP) so we hooked him up to the Argo 6x6 and towed him and the Max out. we even tugged him up over boulders blocking the trail. I think the newer machines are being offered with fuel injection and 30 or 40 horsepower.

one of our friends is a retired leo and paralyzed from the waist down. He has been able to resume hunting and fishing with his Argo 6x6. He has even rigged a platform and electric chain fall in the woods for a stand. He once rescued a hunter who fell from a tree.It was written up in the paper.

Comment

Argo. I can't even think of anyone that has a Max anymore.

They even make SAR variants and accessories. Here you go:

http://www.argoatv.com/utility/stori...BvkPoLCg%3D%3D
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever
                    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

I think I would go with an Argo 8x8 or a Mudd Ox 8x8. Both are well built machines. The inventor of the Mudd Ox designed his machine around the shortcomings of the other two on the market.

Comment

I've driven a few Argos rented for special events. They move like tanks and are not very user friendly. However, in my opinion (I do have significant SAR experience), they would be good in certain situations. Based on my limited exposure to them, I would absolutely not want them to be my mainstay though. I would rather have ATVs and/or Rhino type rigs.

Comment

never heard of ATV but i heard of AAV in the US Marine Corps for infantry guys...

Comment

ATV=All Terrain Vehicles, i.e. 4-wheelers, etc.
                            "All that is, ever
                            Ever was, will be, ever
                            Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Well I'm getting me one of these when I get the chance.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Liz_wyHmvOr5oQ
                              This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7929 users online. 251 members and 7678 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X