Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike... opinions?

Any thoughts?
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Ignored:
    juicesnn4e2

Originally posted by FF Expl. Lt. View Post
    Any thoughts?

A mess in Galveston.......lots of work and danger for the rescue teams over there....had to wait until daybreak to even start looking for bodies or survivors. Doubt there are too many survivors...

Just watching and waiting at this point....
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

My first thought is, it's a dang good thing they had the good sense to take the action they did after the big storm in 1900, or they'd be in really deep doodoo right now.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvest...#Storm_of_1900
      After the storm cleared, the city decided to shore up its defenses against future storms: a permanent concrete seawall was built along a large portion of the beach front (1902–1904) and the entire grade of the city was raised some 17 feet...
      The storm wall on top of that is now another 17 feet.

I dare anyone suggest they do something like that in NO.

Comment

They can't build a "storm wall" for NOLA. That is why they are attempting to build up the wetlands more and more and continue to work on the Levees. Thing is, we the people messed up the Levees a long time ago.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

They shouldn't have stayed, but I don't want to abandon even the adults, who had a choice. .I've read a suggestion today that the survivors be charged for theit own rescues - why not? .I think $500 per head, up to $5000 per household, would be fair, and a reasonable burden. .Children, at least those under, what, 15, maybe 14?, should be mandatorily evacuated, and teens should be taken, if deemed necessary, out of sight of their parents, and informed that they have full choice whether to stay (but subject always to their patents' decision for them to leave).

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtbuddie View Post
            They shouldn't have stayed, but I don't want to abandon even the adults, who had a choice. .I've read a suggestion today that the survivors be charged for theit own rescues - why not? .I think $500 per head, up to $5000 per household, would be fair, and a reasonable burden. .Children, at least those under, what, 15, maybe 14?, should be mandatorily evacuated, and teens should be taken, if deemed necessary, out of sight of their parents, and informed that they have full choice whether to stay (but subject always to their patents' decision for them to leave).

I say $2,000 or more depending on what methods were used, for little kids it is free it is not there fault that mom and dad are idiots. For the elderly if they had the means to get out then charge them, if they did not then no charge. If a rescue worker is killed or injured tying to get your sorry *** then you are held criminally liable for your actions, if you have little kids and they are killed or injured same thing and charge them with endangering the welfare of a minor or similar statue for that state. Id do not understand why or what is so important that people do not leave, if the house is destroyed it is destroyed weather you are there or not, during my Army time back in the 90’s I was at Eglin AFB FL during hurricane Opal. We were not evacuated as we were going to be part of the recovery team, long story short, riding it out was not fun, and afterwards was not much better no power, no running water etc it sucked if it was my choice I would have been out of there. When every one is saying get out, you get out. But that is just me.
            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I heard on the radio yesterday that some stayed because after Rita didn't turn out to be as bad as was forecast, then they realized that 110 people died during the evacuation, they figured they were better off staying put.

Comment

I say let them rescue themselves.
                Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

let me pipe in for a moment.
                  Just because people don't evacuate doesn't mean you need to charge them later for the rescue, not does it give the right to say they are negating children. In this threadI out line some questions that were posted about the same subject. mavriktu gave a reply that summed it up...it has a lot to do with money and like my responses how long will I be gone, along with animals. I happen to have a 10 year old declawed diabetic cat. My Mother was upset that I would not go to her when she had electrical and water connections when I did not. I was not about to leave my cats (I would take the dog) in 99 degree heat, and 99% humidity for my comfort. If they died, it would be my fault. No I am not equally them to kids, but they are my kids at this time. one I bottle fed as a kitten.
                  To match any hurricane to Katrina is actually wrong. The damage was more the levees breaking then the storm or the surge. That is what happen there.
                  ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                  Oscar Wilde

Comment

Every individual has their reason(s) as to why they did or didn't evacuate. We as outsiders, not in their shoes, have no part in judging anyone.

Charging them money is absurd. H e l l... we don't charge those who don't have medical insurance when they show up at the trauma center with multiple GSW'S? Why should we start now?

eee...I'm with you all the way. My animals are part of my family....and we go as a family or we stay as a family.
                    Last edited by deputy x 2; 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                      They can't build a "storm wall" for NOLA. That is why they are attempting to build up the wetlands more and more and continue to work on the Levees. Thing is, we the people messed up the Levees a long time ago.
                      Building the storm wall was a minor portion of the project compared to raising the grade of the whole city.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperCopper View Post
                        I say let them rescue themselves.
                        Hmmm..very interesting.

It is our job to protect and serve. During the initial storm, I can see where no rescues will be attempted. (You can't become a victim)..but after the storm passes...it's back to work.

It's like New Years celebration...at 2355-0005...everyone is under the overpass so you don't get hit with stray bullets. After that...it's back to responding to whatever call comes up.
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                          ...we don't charge those who don't have medical insurance when they show up at the trauma center with multiple GSW'S? Why should we start now?
                          There is a charge for every hospital treatment, and for every ambulance as well. .Sometimes the hospital chooses to swallow the charge. .Sometimes it's paid by medicare, sometimes it's paid by the injured, his insurence company, or a family member, and sometimes it's paid by another responsible party, such as an employer or his insurence company. .I'm sure that the bill can also be covered by a grant, a donation, or a government agency. .Sometimes that hospital, whether a private, state, or nonprofit entity, is forced to swallow the bill. .But initially, the person who is injured, if ever concious, is the person who is charged. .Why? .Simply because these things cost money, and the person who is most often expected to pay for something that costs money, is the person who uses it.

Texaschickeee, I am not faulting you for remaining where you are. .You know your reasons, and you know your recources. .I have even said that youths, being able bodied, responsible, and close to adulthood, should be allowed the decision, under their parents' authority, to attempt to maintain and protect their homes, or even to stand by elders who's decision they themselves doubt.

But if you chose to live without water and electric, you should have already bought your own batteries and camp toilet. .If some didn't, and the government stocked up to prepare for that likelyhood, then why shouldn't there be a charge for those items, since the coffers were dipped into originally, and the stock will now have to be replaced? .If you, being fully warned, being told that for your community the evacuation should be one hundred percent, and even being offered a free bus out of town, and a cot in a dry tent or building when you get wherever they take you, instead make a choice that lands you stranded on the last stable section of your roof as predicted, then why shouldn't you expect a bill for the boat or highly expensive chopper ride out?

But some not only expect their ambulance to be paid for, for them, they also expect that they and everyone they know must be among those found to be rescued, and it seems they then want to complain and blame the government that they weren't found on the first day, and that the contaminated water floating around their house, is actually contaminated.

DACP, I wouldn't charge kids for their rescue; they're not responsible for their own bills, even if they could have made a responsible choice about leaving. .But if they lawfully shouldn't have still been there in the first place, I'm perfectly happy with charging their parents with their rescue fee, with a per household set maximum, and fining those parents per child kept behind, as well.

Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-15-2008, 03:31 AM.
                          lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

Charging money for a rescue is well...all I can say is this.

And I hope this does not happen to anyone here...

Lose your home, and everything therein then see how you feel about some agency charging you 2 grand (as stated in a previous post), or some other insane amount, for a rescue. I would love to be the bill collector that shows up at your devastated home/community, while you are waiting for your insurance claim to kick in, which could be - 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, and yes even up to a year and beyond.

Additionally, it can also cost you (depending on damages, and where you live) up into the hundreds of thousands to repair/rebuild your house, while at the same time your mortgage company will insist on you making payments on time. And trust me when I say that some of that money will come out of your own pocket...not your insurance company's. Some people will be stuck between waiting for insurance money, while having no home for their family, and still have to go about there daily lives.

I just lost my home for the second time in three years. And yes, my family evacuated each time. But some simply for some reason or another cannot.

If you simply believe that someone should be charged / billed for a rescue I would love to show up on the remnants of the front door of your house with a bill in hand and see the look on your face.

I am a first responder, and in castetrophic times I am the one who stays, comes into your home, and drags your butt out of there.

Comment

It's not that I don't care about the people who get hurt in these storms, wildfires (more likely here, in a greened once a year, dried out every summer, desert), or river floods.. In fact, one of the reasons I support charging people for rescues in places they were told they shouldn't be, whether in their own endangered home or a wild hiking non-trail, is because it will discourage them and others from being there.. The other reason is that I care about those who have to help pay for other people's decisions, especially while those same people are not held at all responsible.. As I said earlier, "The person who is most often expected to pay for something that costs money, is the person who uses it."

And Cajun, I am sorry for your losses.. I didn't even like my family's barn burning down when I was sixteen.. I can't imagine losing two houses, especially from the viewpoint of an adult, raising kids in those houses, and now being responsible for them while you rebuild.

Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-15-2008, 03:32 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4166 users online. 214 members and 3952 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X