300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gustav, will it be another Katrina?

I know it's still early... but take a look at his projected path...

Almost 3 years to the day of Katrina.

I hope like hell this thing takes a SERIOUS South Westerly turn.....

The Louisiana Nat'l Guard is activated at the moment. I really hope y'all the best out there.

Comment

Yes, we are now activated, see you guys out there if it hits.

Comment

If you mean, "Is it going to be another cluster." Then the answer is yes, very much so yes. I'm sitting back and shaking my head at the overreaction of the people around here. There answer is always the same you don't know you weren't here for Katrina. My response is always the same, your right I wasn't here for Katrina, but I have lived through several hurricanes, including a cat 5.

The storm is still at least five or six days out, relax you have a lot of time before it gets here. It might not even hit the gulf coast of LA/MS/AL, it's too early to tell. The "cone of death" has this thing landing anywhere from around Tallahassee to west of Houston. Now is the time to review your plans, account for the personal items you will be taking with you (if you evacuate) and for the government to preposition things for immediate response/evacuation.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

As far as the people who did not evacuate or prepare for Katrina ....YES. Some people just wont give a hoot or learn

Comment

Outdoor Life "GunShots"
            August 27, 2008

Guns and Gustav

Quote:
            We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

—John Snow
            There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

double post
              Last edited by BigTrooper; 08-28-2008, 05:27 PM. Reason: I am an idiot
              Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

I just heard that they (you know who they are) are predicting a cat 4 landfall strength. The same people also say "don't pay much attention to our stormtrack" when the graphic is up, so take it for what it is worth.

When I was on Guam, I went through supertyphoon Omar and typhoon Brian, just to name a couple. Omar had sustained winds of 200+ miles per hour. In the Pacific, those things can go for a week or more and not touch enough land to sap any strength. The wind was unreal. Not real fun, and most of that island's buildings are heavy reinforced concrete with typhoon shutter tracks coming standard.

I pray it takes a southerly turn also.
                Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

I don't evacuate. never have never will. (well..never say never!!)
                  But i'm H town so I still get the brunt of alot of the ones that hit here.
                  ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                  Oscar Wilde

Comment

Yes, it is alot different than Katrina (who hit us 3 yrs ago today)

Buses for evac, special needs shelters ready, shelters for the pets that cant be evac'd too, food, water ER personnel rescue units, guard are all here NOW....not a week after it hits.....

I live 60 miles north of N.O. and 60 miles east of the MS Gulf Coast.....I had NO choice to stay then and now....

I have been through THREE "once in a life time storms" Betsy, Camille and Katrina....and more than I can count Cat 3's R less........never have ever nor do I want to experience something like the aftermath of K again........

Stay safe LA folks....and be prepared

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

OH SHAAAAAAAAAAAT !

Look how big Gustav is....is headed at me....

I live in Slidell, LA(google map it)
                      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Well the people on the Northshore are acting like it will be a katrina. I even caught myself rushing to much while driving. Walmart is ready with abuntant supplies of every thing with no end in sight. I'm dubbing it hurricainitus. Some gas stations have run out of gas and people are freaking out. I'm sure more gas trucks will resupply in the morning. People seem to be evacuating much sooner this time. I saw more arguments than normal in town (traffic) and people are trying their best to be polite and understanding, but it is a noticable effort. I hope, pray, turn all my fans on pointing west (no offence T.X.), that it will miss us, but we are going to get something at least. I don't live in a flood area so I'm staying to help with the clean up.

Comment

If it hits, NOLA is gonna be ****ed again.

And if that happens, then I guess I will see some of you out there.
                          U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                          Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Looks like I'll be staying in Shreveport working command on this. You guys stay safe who are out in the city... I'm 100% confident in our ability to work through this in the best way possible.

Comment

A few things I've noticed around here. The gas stations stopped taking credit cards at the pumps. This has caused long lines. I think that has caused the impression that gas is becoming difficult to find and had added to the already hurricane induced hysteria in addition to giving a reason for the increase in gas prices.

People are stressed. Everyone is running around like a chicken with their head cut off. Heck my wife's company decided to evac going east/west rather than north. That is a boneheaded decision. They have all of the key people evacuating to the place where the hurricane is expected to hit.

I hate to say it but this place needs about three small hurricanes to hit in one year. So people realize not all hurricanes are a Katrina. Similar to a kid getting into a fight and being gun shy after that.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3257 users online. 151 members and 3106 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X