• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleaded guilty to murder in exchange for fried chicken

Oregon's ice cream killer sentenced to life
    Associated Press
    August 7, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. — A man who pleaded guilty to an Oregon murder in exchange for buckets of fried chicken will get calzones and pizza to go with his life sentence.

Tremayne Durham, 33, of New York last month admitted to fatally shooting Adam Calbreath in June 2006. Durham wanted to sell ice cream and ordered an $18,000 truck from an Oregon company. Durham later changed his mind, but the company wouldn't provide a refund.

The would-be ice cream man came to Oregon and killed Calbreath, a former employee of the company, while looking for the owner.

Durham agreed to plead guilty to murder last month, but only if he could get a break from jail food. The judge agreed, and granted Durham a feast of KFC chicken, Popeye's chicken, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, carrot cake and ice cream.

After Wednesday's sentencing, his defense attorney confirmed, Durham gets the rest of the deal — calzones, lasagna, pizza and ice cream.

Durham also got married Wednesday in a civil ceremony at the courthouse in Portland. The wedding to Vanessa Davis, 48, also of New York, was not part of the plea deal that will give Durham a chance for parole after 30 years.

Deputy District Attorney Josh Lamborn said Multnomah County Judge Eric Bergstrom made the right call in allowing the unusual plea agreement because it saved the expense of a trial and possible appeals.

Lamborn said Durham — who has asked to serve his sentence close to New York — caused trouble during his two years in the county jail. Durham faked suicide, choked an inmate half his size until the inmate passed out, threatened to hijack a jail transport vehicle and broke a window in an attempt to escape.

At Wednesday's sentencing, the father of Adam Calbreath told the judge to put “this animal” where he belongs.

“You hear that?” Michael Calbreath asked Durham. “I called you an animal.”

Durham showed little reaction to the remarks. Soon after, he read a written statement, turning toward Calbreath at the end.

“I want to apologize for the pain that I have caused to those people who knew and cared for Adam Calbreath,” Durham said. “I hope that by accepting responsibility for my actions, by abandoning my trial and my appeals and by accepting a sentence of life in prison, it will help to bring closure to everyone.”
    http://www.spokesmanreview.com/break...y.asp?ID=16063

Wow. They should have denied him that break from food and tried him with a full conviction.
    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
    George Carlin

Comment

Now taxpayers are going to pay for his increased medical bills due to his diet....

Comment

Hi there. Is this KFC? Say, this is the sheriff's department. Yep, I am the deputy that gave you that ticket, and I ticketed your friend too. Yes, I do need to order some chicken. Yes, I'll be by in about an hour to pick it up, just make sure you don't dare do ANYTHING to it, you little bastard.

-One, hour later-

Hey buddy, your special order KFC is here. The KFC guys seemed real happy to give it to us. Eat up.

Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

I am fighting so hard to not make a comment about a certain type of fruit...

Comment

Comment

It seems he's also a newlywed, with an older (but apparently not wiser) woman for his blushing bride.

Durham also got married Wednesday in a civil ceremony at the courthouse in Portland. The wedding to Vanessa Davis, 48, also of New York, was not part of the plea deal that will give Durham a chance for parole after 30 years.
              I'll never understand the mindset of people who marry people in this sort of situation.

Comment

^Conjugal sex
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                  ^Conjugal sex
                  Yeah, plus I suppose she knows he won't be able to cheat on her....at least not with other girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                    Hi there. Is this KFC? Say, this is the sheriff's department. Yep, I am the deputy that gave you that ticket, and I ticketed your friend too. Yes, I do need to order some chicken. Yes, I'll be by in about an hour to pick it up, just make sure you don't dare do ANYTHING to it, you little bastard.

-One, hour later-

Hey buddy, your special order KFC is here. The KFC guys seemed real happy to give it to us. Eat up.

LOL that is too funny!

in all seriousness, though, there's something to be said for his statement:

“I want to apologize for the pain that I have caused to those people who knew and cared for Adam Calbreath,” Durham said. “I hope that by accepting responsibility for my actions, by abandoning my trial and my appeals and by accepting a sentence of life in prison, it will help to bring closure to everyone.”

Comment

http://www.deadmaneating.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                        Absolutely hilarious, yes indeed!!!!

Tucson Police Department
                        07/27/08 : Applied
                        09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
                        09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
                        09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
                        10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
                        10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
                        10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
                        08/18/08 : Applied
                        10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
                        10/25/08 : PT Test
                        10/25/08 : Written Test
                        10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

I don't know how anyone can even eat that greasy, salty KFC chicken. I wouldn't feed it to a starving dog. I sure hope I never find out what prison chow is like!

Comment

The newest trend in law enforcement: indirect execution by overindulgence in high-cholesterol food! Sweet! Shotgun that chicken buddy!
                            Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Hell, I would've bought lobster if it would've brought closure to the case

I can't believe he opted for KFC....

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158274 users online. 126 members and 158148 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X