• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Mayor Gordon vs Sheriff Joe Arpaio

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...7gordon07.html

Mayor Phil Gordon: This isn't personal, it's about safety
    by Phil Gordon - Aug. 7, 2008 12:00 AM
    Mayor of Phoenix
    My disagreements with the sheriff are about professional decisions and public safety.

Our shared goal has to be the safety of our community. And, from the beginning, I have respectfully asked the sheriff to do three things to help ensure the safest possible community for us all:

First, I have asked him to simply do what the Phoenix Police Department does: cooperate with other local law enforcement jurisdictions. Let the various police departments know exactly what he is doing. Plan with them. Share information and resources. Don't jeopardize ongoing undercover operations. Don't put deputies, other officers and the public at increased risk.
    That's not asking a lot. It shouldn't need to be asked at all. As reported by the FBI, Phoenix crime rates are down in every category, while the crime numbers in the unincorporated areas of the county, which are solely the responsibility of the sheriff, are going up and fast becoming a crisis. That calls for more cooperation and sharing - not less.

Second, I have asked him to help make our community safer by focusing on the 40,000 felony arrest warrants - of dangerous criminals - that are still outstanding in Maricopa County; to focus on the "worst of the worst" - rapists, murderers, drug dealers, violent and repeat offenders. Like other jurisdictions do.

Finally, I have asked the sheriff to respect the Constitution and the civil rights of all American citizens. Recently, this newspaper, the East Valley Tribune, the Washington Post, Valley media, the Anti-Defamation League and associations of pastors, priests and rabbis have noted specific examples of the sheriff's refusal to follow federal civil-rights requirements when pursuing illegal immigrants. But he must respect civil rights. American citizens and U.S. veterans who fought for our rights are seeing their own rights violated. Immigrants, who are here legally, with paperwork in hand, are being treated like criminals. Vendors, with valid visas and properly licensed equipment, are being detained. All those things are wrong and unacceptable.

I have asked investigative journalists to come to Phoenix and join with local journalists to tell this story because it needs to be told. Not because we don't want immigration laws enforced. We do. (In fact, Phoenix police have arrested 11,000 criminal immigrants and turned an additional 4,000 over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the past two years alone). We want this story told because the civil rights of citizens and others here legally must be protected.

We all have a basic right to be left alone by law enforcement if we have done nothing wrong. The sheriff sees it differently. It is my hope that when a national journalistic spotlight shines on the sheriff's bizarre, dangerous and constitutionally challenged choices, the decision-makers in Washington, D.C., will see the sad results of their neglect and finally be moved to act.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++=

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: Mayor, you're out of step, out of line
    by Joe Arpaio - Aug. 7, 2008 12:00 AM
    Maricopa County Sheriff
    This is my response to Mayor Gordon's plea to the national press to investigate my crackdown on illegal immigration in hopes of "stopping the madness."

Your Washington antics (paid for by Phoenix taxpayers) before the national press corps made me chuckle.

You disagree with how I am fighting the problem of illegal immigration.
    And because, according to independent polls, 80 percent of the people here side with me on this issue, you are taking the desperate step of begging the national media to descend upon my office to prove these crackdowns are violating people's civil rights.

Problem is, Mayor, the national media have reported on my tactics.

Since January 2008, more than 60 different national media have carefully examined my programs, including these suppression sweeps.

What do you hope to gain by asking for more coverage? Please stop being my PR agent. I do fine on my own.

You told the national press corps that my fight against illegal immigration is "madness that must be stopped."

In doing so you insulted the men and women of this agency who combat illegal immigration every day and at every turn and the vast majority of our citizenry who want illegal immigration laws enforced.

How could you be so out of touch with the very people who once elected you?

No wonder an effort to remove you from office is under way, for you have forgotten what public service really means. I know what my oath of office demands, while you apparently do not.

While in D.C., you insulted my office, called me a false messiah and said I am a lawbreaker.

You begged various entities to investigate me as if I were a common criminal.

What you are really doing is pandering to a small, vocal constituency that supports open borders and refuses to see the collateral damage caused by unchecked illegal immigration.

You make foolish statements unsupported by facts.

You claim that my crime-suppression sweeps make immigrants fearful of cooperating with police and that my deputies are racially-profiling people.

Where are the facts to support these claims?

There aren't any.

You know what I think, Mayor?

I believe that you know you are on the losing end of the illegal-immigration argument and that very fact has you acting in desperation. Your public behavior is woeful.

With a glaring lack of professional decorum, you continue to attack me personally at every opportunity.

Good job Sheriff Arpaio, keep up the good work .

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post
      What do you hope to gain by asking for more coverage? Please stop being my PR agent. I do fine on my own.
      Gotta love the man!! Go get 'em Sheriff!!
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

That's awesome! Who in their right mind would ask for more "investigative journalists" to showcase someone who's arguably the most covered sheriff in modern times? If he had been doing something truly illegal or had violated civil liberties, would'nt he be in prison by now? We've seen many times were the political machine has destroyed people. You may not like Sheriff Joe's tactics, but if he did something wrong, he'd be done by now. From what little is shown here about these two, it appears the Mayor might want to keep his mouth shut and finish his term peacefully and go somewhere else and tattle on people who don't like him.

Comment

That pic of the Sherriff is frickin awsome!
          Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

HERE'S THE REASON FOR GORDON'S PRINTED ASSAULT:

http://www.recallmayorgordon.com/

American Citizens United is a group dedicated to the recall of Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon. Our goal is to remove the status of Phoenix as a sanctuary city and promote a safer and securer city. American Citizens United also promotes secure borders, enforcement of our immigration laws and is for legal immigration.

To learn more about American Citizens United or to become a member, please visit
            http://www.azpseil.cloverpad.org/

Originally posted by PB3021 View Post
            That's awesome! Who in their right mind would ask for more "investigative journalists" to showcase someone who's arguably the most covered sheriff in modern times? If he had been doing something truly illegal or had violated civil liberties, would'nt he be in prison by now? We've seen many times were the political machine has destroyed people. You may not like Sheriff Joe's tactics, but if he did something wrong, he'd be done by now. From what little is shown here about these two, it appears the Mayor might want to keep his mouth shut and finish his term peacefully and go somewhere else and tattle on people who don't like him.

Comment

Makes sense, draw the attention away from his inabilities to lead and his ideas to give away America.

Comment

WE Love You, JOE!!!

Comment

Sounds like Joe is apparently ruffling feathers again

I believe in what he is doing, and I just hope he keeps his wits about him. He's definately in the crosshairs in many different ways.
                  Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Joe cracks me up, he's in the news every time and the irony of it all is that the news media and those who hate him...say he is doing everything to get attention, yet they can't stop reporting on him.

Comment

go sheriff Joe!
                      son, if you keep this up, soon you'll inherit the family mullet!

Comment

Sheriff Arpaio is a great American. God Bless him.
                        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

... As reported by the FBI, Phoenix crime rates are down in every category, while the crime numbers in the unincorporated areas of the county, which are solely the responsibility of the sheriff, are going up and fast becoming a crisis. That calls for more cooperation and sharing - not less.

Second, I have asked him to help make our community safer by focusing on the 40,000 felony arrest warrants - of dangerous criminals - that are still outstanding in Maricopa County; to focus on the "worst of the worst" - rapists, murderers, drug dealers, violent and repeat offenders. Like other jurisdictions do. ...
                          If true then maybe some of you who believe in law and order might decide that Sheriff Joe is not really doing his job. Just a thought...

Comment

The mayor is a nut job. He just doesn't like that the sheriff has more authority to what he needs to do in his County. Which happens to include the City the mayor leads. Looks like he is being recalled for a reason.
                            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Phoenix was in Maricopa County last time I checked...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3028 users online. 143 members and 2885 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X