300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEO's making too much money?!

a few weeks ago i was reading my local newspaper on the internet. i came across a blog that someone submitted that really got me aggravated. to make a long story short he believes that LEO's making around 80,000 a year are a bit over paid for the work they do. i tried to reply to this idiot's blog and tell him to go blank himself but the website wouldn't let me. in my opinion i do not think there is any amount of money one could be payed to risk their life everyday for the safety of others. what are your thoughts?
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

What about those of us that make over $80k?

If he thinks the job is such a high paid cakewalk, let him dig out his crayon and apply.
    They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

I think that in general POs are not overpaid or otherwise overcompensated. I think there are fair rates of pay based on what the society can afford, what is expected, and other factors. I think the Superintendent in Chicago is perhaps overpaid; he gets over 300K -- more than any other official in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
        If he thinks the job is such a high paid cakewalk, let him dig out his crayon and apply.
        exactly! unfortunately that stupid website wouldn't let me reply to his blog for me to tell him that
        This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

There are a lot of deputies and officers in smaller towns here in Kansas who get paid $10/hr. Heck and that's not even counting reserve officers doing the job for free.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
            There are a lot of deputies and officers in smaller towns here in Kansas who get paid $10/hr. Heck and that's not even counting reserve officers doing the job for free.
            In all seriousness, how many of us do it for the money?
            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

If you can't hire as many people as you have slots, (which is the case in most departments I know of), then you really should be paying more money.

It's just going to be supply and demand at work with LEO jobs, the same as with any other job and the salary it pays.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                What salary does $10/hr work out to be? $30,000/yr? I could do the division and come up with the hourly amount by dividing $30,000 by 12, again by 4, and again by 40 and come up with the $/hr, which is roughly $15/hr for 30k salary.

But I don't know how much to take off of that $15/hr for taxes. Should I cut it in half? That would be $7.50/hr that officers on 30K salary make then. That's only .25 more than minimum wage here. I make $14/hr currently at FedEx, if I were to get a job with one of the local departments making 30k salary, then that would be a huge pay downgrade I guess.

But even though I'm currently making $14/hr, I only work about 20 hours a week, not 40+ like I would in a full time career. So my paycheck is usually a little bit over $200 every week. Which works out to be $9,600 that I actually make every year (including taxes). Now, if I worked full time here, I would make double that, about $19,000/yr which is still quite a ways below the $30k salary that police have around here, however the $30k salary they advertise is BEFORE taxes. So if I cut that in half, cops actually make about $15k/yr which is less than the $19k/yr I would be making at fedex.

Is that about right? I'm terrible at math!

Comment

10/hr = Around 20,000 a year sir, and being a reserve looking for full time work... I'll tell you its not ALL about the money. Money makes apply some places that I probably wouldn't it I had to do it for free but yea.

Comment

Wow. Before taxes I make roughly under $27,000 a year. Overpaid my butt. I left a job earning $40,000 a year to get into L.E., and stayed. I got a job offer for a semi-LE job just yesterday for $46,000 from the Department of Defense and told them no. I like my current Department, co workers, and Community. There is no way they could make me leave it unless they:
                    1) lowered the pay
                    2) Everybody left, or my job description and responsibilities changed.

I don't do this job for the money. I got qualifications and experience in other jobs that would qualify me for at LEAST $75,000 a year (I have many non-L.E trades under my belt). I won't leave it.
                    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                      In all seriousness, how many of us do it for the money?
                      I do it for the money, because I need the money to survive, but if I didn't need the money, I'd still do it.
                      sigpic
                      Don't make me gassy.
                      You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

This is based on 2nd hand information, but I've heard that the city of St. Louis pays it's garbagemen more than it pays "entry level" cops.

Is it just me, or does that seem WAY out of whack?

Comment

Originally posted by mmtsquid View Post
                          This is based on 2nd hand information, but I've heard that the city of St. Louis pays it's garbagemen more than it pays "entry level" cops.

Is it just me, or does that seem WAY out of whack?

LOL, now that you mention that, I think the same thing is true in my city.

On the other hand, I still wonder why people pay me to do this. It's that awesome of a job to me.
                          You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

One of the reasons I am spending 20 years in the military is so I can afford to be a cop after retirement.

You guys don't get paid enough, and I'm an NCO...

M-11
                            “All men dream...... But not equally..
                            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

The pay is low because people are willing to do it. All you have to do is say no I will do something esle and the pay will go up till the positions are filled.

Same with teachers, there are plenty who do it because of some calling to serve, not for the money. As long as there are people willing to do the job for free, then that will set the value of the job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7751 users online. 370 members and 7381 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X