Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The influence of the cell phone cameras on Policing

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The influence of the cell phone cameras on Policing

    With more and more cell phones getting better and better video capabilities how are Police departments handling it.

    After the Officer who made the very bad judgment call to knock the rider off his bike at the Critical Mass bike ride in NY and err exaggerate the charges..they took the steps of encouraging people to send them their videos.

    Is this unique or something other Departments plan to do as well?

  • #2
    Originally posted by alpha1cowboy View Post
    With more and more cell phones getting better and better video capabilities how are Police departments handling it.

    After the Officer who made the very bad judgment call to knock the rider off his bike at the Critical Mass bike ride in NY and err exaggerate the charges..they took the steps of encouraging people to send them their videos.

    Is this unique or something other Departments plan to do as well?
    Thats why if I have to use any type of force, I make sure I do what I was "taught". Deadly force is a different realm. Cameras never have and never will intimidate me because I have ALWAYS assumed, once I go in service, someone is recording everything I do. If you keep that mindset, you will go a long way.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's definitely the right mindset to have. I really don't know what the Officer in Times Square that night was thinking, but I think that video is going to really hurt his testimony.

      Comment


      • #4
        The problem isn't the accuracy of the video....the problem is the inaccurate picture one gets from watching a 10-20 second clip of a much longer incident. All that is going to happen with this plan will be its demise. Right now there is a left-leaning criminal pandering administration in office in NYC, eventually the people of the city will be tired of the rise in crime (which is going up) and certain now out-of-favor policies and units will have to be brought back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by alpha1cowboy View Post
          That's definitely the right mindset to have. I really don't know what the Officer in Times Square that night was thinking, but I think that video is going to really hurt his testimony.
          The problem with video is that it doesn't always tell the whole truth (you know that silly part of testifying where witnesses promise "to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

          I'm not scared of being videotaped from start to finish doing my job. I am scared to death of having someone with an agenda who only starts filming when they are ready.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm scared to death of someone taping me digging my thong out of my crack. Because nobody needs to see that.
            sigpic
            Don't make me gassy.
            You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...
            _________________________________

            If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

            Comment


            • #7
              Video does not necessarily tell the truth, because it doesn't show the whole incident. Even if it does, the media will only show the few worst-looking seconds. Remember the violent felon Rodney King?
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

              I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

              Comment


              • #8
                I [B]LOVE[B] cell phone video, most people think that it would hurt LEO's well guess what, if you are not doing anything out of policy then those videos WILL help you. Also if you arrested someone, as an officer you were not able to view any pictures/ videos on a cell phone of an arrestee without a seacrh warrant, BUT a recent supreme court ruling, that will come into effect in late August gives Officers the ability to go through the phone of EVERY single person arrested no matter what the offense. This is huge in drug and gang arrests because you can ad images or videos on cell phone of those people associating with gang members or having a record or committing the crime they are accused of. For that matter I love cell phone cameras.

                In one incident I arrested a guy for battery on a Police officer for kicking me and spitting on my partner, his buddy was on the sidewalk filming the entire encounter on his phone. I ordered his buddy to leave the sidewalk or be cited for loitering and blocking a public way. He refused and was written a citation, which he refused to sign, and was arrested for the offense instead. I wrote a simple search warrant for the phone for the video and booked his phone as evidence. The battery guy was convicted and later his friend was convicted of the citation we tried to issue him, not only that, after viewing the video, the judge also added the charge of failing to obey a lawful order by a police officer and convicted him of that as well. the video WAS on youtube posted by the guy who got the citation but was promptly "REMOVED BY USER" after he went to court. Funny how the video only stays up if the Officer is in the wrong.

                I love cell phone video because it helps me in some cases otherwise it doesn't matter, I like most other cops, follow policy and law.
                Originally Posted by VegasMetro
                maybe it’s me but I think a six pack and midget porn makes for good times?????

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mtxpro752 View Post
                  I [B]LOVE[B] cell phone video, most people think that it would hurt LEO's well guess what, if you are not doing anything out of policy then those videos WILL help you. Also if you arrested someone, as an officer you were not able to view any pictures/ videos on a cell phone of an arrestee without a seacrh warrant, BUT a recent supreme court ruling, that will come into effect in late August gives Officers the ability to go through the phone of EVERY single person arrested no matter what the offense. This is huge in drug and gang arrests because you can ad images or videos on cell phone of those people associating with gang members or having a record or committing the crime they are accused of. For that matter I love cell phone cameras.

                  In one incident I arrested a guy for battery on a Police officer for kicking me and spitting on my partner, his buddy was on the sidewalk filming the entire encounter on his phone. I ordered his buddy to leave the sidewalk or be cited for loitering and blocking a public way. He refused and was written a citation, which he refused to sign, and was arrested for the offense instead. I wrote a simple search warrant for the phone for the video and booked his phone as evidence. The battery guy was convicted and later his friend was convicted of the citation we tried to issue him, not only that, after viewing the video, the judge also added the charge of failing to obey a lawful order by a police officer and convicted him of that as well. the video WAS on youtube posted by the guy who got the citation but was promptly "REMOVED BY USER" after he went to court. Funny how the video only stays up if the Officer is in the wrong.

                  I love cell phone video because it helps me in some cases otherwise it doesn't matter, I like most other cops, follow policy and law.
                  Some things are probably better off left unsaid, but I agree. In almost every case I have worked the last few years, the fact that most crooks own cell phones that can now take pictures and videos has been a huge help to us, rather than a problem.

                  Like cell phones, and then pay as you go cell phones, text mesaging cell phones, and push to talk cell phones, picture taking cell phones were only a problem for law enforcement until we figured out how to make them work for us. Just a few years ago, if you had tried to pass a law saying everyone had to carry an electronic device with them everywhere they went, that recorded their location and who they were talking to, as well as their e-mails, the ACLU and other liberals would have gone crazy and the conservatives would have screamed about the costs and how you would pay for it.

                  I love cell phones.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                    Thats why if I have to use any type of force, I make sure I do what I was "taught". Deadly force is a different realm. Cameras never have and never will intimidate me because I have ALWAYS assumed, once I go in service, someone is recording everything I do. If you keep that mindset, you will go a long way.

                    One past job I had the plant manager told me "somebody is ALWAYS watching you"....not me specifically, and you never know who the somebody is, but it is a good thing to behave as thought it is true.

                    Bill
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Videotaped or not, I do my job as I was taught and keeping within my personal moral guidelines. Tape me all you want. If I did it, you bet your *ss I can articulate why.
                      sigpic

                      I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Twarz
                        I pity you. The guy had every right to tape you. You stopped being solution, you became a problem.
                        The judge sure didn't think so.
                        sigpic
                        Don't make me gassy.
                        You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...
                        _________________________________

                        If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Twarz
                          I pity you. The guy had every right to tape you. You stopped being solution, you became a problem.
                          More often than not, that activity has a tendency to escalate the issue as an arrestee sees it as a platform for his bad behavior and video does encourage them to sometimes push the envelope. Someone could really end up getting hurt and for what, so you can make a point we already know ?

                          Cops are thrust into situations by the nature of the job, not through someone else's warped sense what they think it is. Get on top of it quick or lose. It is officer discretion after all and I wasn't there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Twarz
                            I pity you. The guy had every right to tape you. You stopped being solution, you became a problem.
                            I never told him to stop taping I told hi to move off the sidewalk, he was blocking a public way and breaking the law, he could have continued to film from another spot. Bottom line is he was breaking the law and I enforced it, at the end of the day I know I did my job and that's that.

                            And apparently the judge agreed, you earn a position as a judge and you can then tell me otherwise.
                            Originally Posted by VegasMetro
                            maybe it’s me but I think a six pack and midget porn makes for good times?????

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Twarz
                              I pity you. The guy had every right to tape you. You stopped being solution, you became a problem.

                              You missed the point. The issue wasn't him taping, the issue was failure to follow an order. If I'm conducting business and you (by the very nature of being too close to me and what I'm doing) are causing a distraction that delays or obstructs my ability to safety and acurately carry out my duties, then you have now become an issue. You will be dealt with.
                              sigpic

                              I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3251 users online. 164 members and 3087 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X