300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smuggler Blames the Spike Strip

This was a good one. Once in a while these guys don't get away with murder. This guy fails to yield, drives like an idiot with a truck full of people, goes head on with a civillian, two people die and several are injured, but its not his fault...

Smuggler blames Border Patrol for deadly accident

By Ray Huard
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

12:18 p.m. August 1, 2008

EL CAJON – A convicted immigrant smuggler Friday blamed Border Patrol agents for causing a head-on crash that killed two people, but a judge said he was wrong and sentenced him to prison for 33 years to life.
    In a letter read in court by an interpreter, Daniel Cardiola Lopez said the June 2007 crash in rural East County was caused by agents who put a spiked strip in the roadway to stop him.

“They cause the accident, then wash off their hands and blame the driver,” Lopez said in the letter. “The Border Patrol when using this device (spike strips) shows disregard for the lives of the migrants.”
    El Cajon Superior Court Judge Herbert J. Exarhos said accepting Lopez's version of what happened “would border on the absurd.”

“He's saying these two deaths are everybody else's fault but his own,” Exarhos said.

A jury in April convicted Lopez, 36, of two counts of murder, two counts of vehicular homicide with gross negligence causing great bodily harm and assault with a deadly weapon in the collision on county Route S2 near Ocotillo Wells the afternoon June 26, 2007.

Driving a Dodge Ram truck with undocumented immigrants in the back, Lopez was fleeing Border Patrol agents when he slammed head-on into a 2007 Toyota Corolla driven by Juan Herrerra of Valley Center with his wife in the passenger seat, witnesses testified during his trial.

Two passengers in Lopez's truck were killed, and the five others were seriously injured, as were Herrerra and his wife, said Deputy District Attorney Leonard Trinh said during the trial.

Lopez then sped away from agents, even after his passengers shouted at him to slow down

Lopez's lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Dawn Beebee, asked the judge Friday to overturn Lopez's conviction for vehicular homicide because she said that there was no evidence that Lopez intended to harm anyone or that he knew that his actions put his passengers in mortal danger.

Beebee said the crash was caused when at least one tire on Lopez's truck went flat after her ran over a spike strip and he lost control.

She said Lopez couldn't tell it was Border Patrol Agents pursuing him because they were out of uniform and weren't using emergency lights or sirens.

Exarhos said the evidence presented in the trial supported the jury's verdict. He also noted Lopez had been stopped by agents many times before for smuggling immigrants and convicted once before.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Driving a Dodge Ram truck with undocumented immigrants in the back, Lopez was fleeing Border Patrol agents when he slammed head-on into a 2007 Toyota Corolla driven by Juan Herrerra of Valley Center with his wife in the passenger seat, witnesses testified during his trial.
    Hes not considered a migrant. He didnt immigrate to the US. Hes a felon. And he deserves the worst possible sentence available.
    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
    George Carlin

Comment

but a judge said he was wrong and sentenced him to prison for 33 years to life.
      Be nice if they ran consecutively.
      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
        Hes not considered a migrant. He didnt immigrate to the US. Hes a felon. And he deserves the worst possible sentence available.
        Most of the load drivers are either US citizens or permanent residents.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2982 users online. 158 members and 2824 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X